Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

The Vaypor S are very comfortable.
But I see that they have 2 different models for the Vaypor+ ??? and 2 different prices ?? The 2016 for $449 and the "regular" for $192 ??

http://shop.bontcycling.com/epages/Bont ... cts/VPW-36
http://shop.bontcycling.com/epages/Bont ... s/VPKWB-36

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

I tried the 2016 and it is a very nice shoe but can save a bit on both so its kind of a wash. I decided to order the Vaypor S as the not knowing would drive me mad ;-)
:P

boots2000

by boots2000

I have recently switched to 100% Bont.
Vaypor S for the road, Vaypor G for dirt.

These shoes are a revelation for me.
I have had foot pain (and several foot surgeries) for 5 years.

1st shoes where I feel like my feet can spread out.

kdawg

by kdawg

Has anyone drilled new cleat holes in Bont shoes? I always feel like my cleats could be 5mm further back and they're at the limit of adjustment.

Or any good ideas for a few mm more? It feels like it's the head of the screw in the way - smaller head and some sort of oval washer? Anyone done anything to Shimano cleats to push them back a bit?
I'm left handed, if that matters.

glepore

by glepore

Really easy to do-I did it when I was running Bebops as they're not drilled for 2 hole cleats. Put a cleat bolt partway in to the existing t nut, tap it, and the nut comes out. Or just buy new ones and leave the old ones in place. I reused mine after drilling.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

shimmeD

by shimmeD

:thumbup: spot on ^^ done same thing
Less is more.

orbicek

by orbicek

Hey guys, looking for help, since I have quite wide feet I bought Bont Vaypor+, the sizing chart on Bont's site told me to go 43, people on internet adviced go one size up - so I bought both 43 and 44 and I would return one pair - question is which one - 44 feels very good width wise alas they are about 0,7-1 cm longer than I would prefer and have this weird feeling when wearing them like it is too loose in the front of the shoes. The heels feels solid. 43 are good lengthwise, however the toe is slightly touchng upper toebox, they feel snug but not extremely but I defintely feel more the sides of the shoes and arch support so I would prefer them very slightly larger -right now they will only bit bigger than my previous Northwaves.

Which one should I keep? Would be able to heat mold the 43 to make them slightly bigger? Or rather go with 44 as the feeling of feet freedom comes only from being unaccustomed to wider shoes? The main reason actually was to having wider shoes but suddenly it just feel weird with 44. What are your experience? How much you can stretch the Vaypors during heat molding? Thanx!

TonyM

by TonyM

If you ride also in hot weather your feet may also "increase" and you will like having some space. My VayporS are slightly too big in the winter, perfect in the summer and ok when really very hot in the summer. My Vaypor are perfect in the winter but would not be ok when in the hot summer.

kdawg

by kdawg

I would go bigger - I wish I had as my toes just touch and some days it can be quite painful because obviously there's no give in the shoes.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

orbicek

by orbicek

Thanx for your advice, I tried them also in different socks -with very thin one the 43 feels quite good and 44 little bit loose, with winter socks 43 starting to be uncomfortable. Also I plan to install my own orthotic insole, so I guess after that the 44 might feel lttle tighter.

one more question - how much is possible to expand the width of the Vaypors after heating if it is possible at all?

bilwit

by bilwit

kdawg wrote:I would go bigger - I wish I had as my toes just touch and some days it can be quite painful because obviously there's no give in the shoes.

yeah.. I have some old Bont Zeros (2013?) in 44 which is what I get everything else in and my right foot is JUST slightly too long for the shoe. On rides over an hour I find that it makes me put pressure on less than optimal sections of my foot on the downstroke and leads to numbness/pain sometimes. Switched over to Giro Empires which weigh the same if not slightly less and even has plushy cushion (though I don't doubt the newer Bonts are probably lighter)

claus

by claus

Which "very thin socks" do you use?

sungod

by sungod

orbicek wrote:Thanx for your advice, I tried them also in different socks -with very thin one the 43 feels quite good and 44 little bit loose, with winter socks 43 starting to be uncomfortable. Also I plan to install my own orthotic insole, so I guess after that the 44 might feel lttle tighter.

one more question - how much is possible to expand the width of the Vaypors after heating if it is possible at all?

they are made in half sizes, and there is also a wide fitting version - of course you need a shop that stocks/can order them for you, but if 43 is too small and 44 really too long, it sounds like 43.5 wide might be right for you

you can mould the entire sole including the edges, allowing a few mm of extra width, bear in mind that as the side is pushed out the upper of the shoe is pulled tighter/lower - i would not try it using the oven method, it's much easier with a heat gun or even a hairdryer, heat the side and surrounding area then while hot use both hands to grasp the shoe with thumbs pushing out the edge from the 'inside', you need gloves on for this as it'll be hot!

i have vaypor s in 46.5 wide, with insoles to give high arch support, these definitely take up more space in the toe box than the bont insole

orbicek

by orbicek

claus wrote:Which "very thin socks" do you use?

I use mainly D-SOX it is a small Czech brand, socks are very good, nice material, very thin and they last:) http://www.d-sox.cz/category/ponagle/1

Unfortunately 43,5 is not an option, Bont doesnt do it. I decided to go with larger one, now I hope there won't be any heel slipping out on the bike:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

orbicek wrote:
claus wrote:Which "very thin socks" do you use?

I use mainly D-SOX it is a small Czech brand, socks are very good, nice material, very thin and they last:) http://www.d-sox.cz/category/ponagle/1

Unfortunately 43,5 is not an option, Bont doesnt do it. I decided to go with larger one, now I hope there won't be any heel slipping out on the bike:)

should be ok, you can mould in the sides of the heel cup quite a lot, if you are fitting different insoles, wait until you have them before moulding

with a lot of arch support i found i needed to mould inwards the midfoot area on the outside of the shoe to avoid my foot 'rotating' outwards and causing pressure further forward, i'd only notice this after about 80-90k