Bont shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
dak

by dak

Wheever wrote:Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a pair of the Vaypor S, but the shop where I have credit says they can't get wide widths. I usually wear a 44 wide shoe, but going by Bont's chart the 44 regular is pretty close. (Left foot is 268x 107; Right foot is 270x 108).

So my question is, how much width can you get out of molding the shoes? Meaning, can I mold the shoes out enough to make room for my my foot wearing a moderately cushioned sock? (I don't like thin socks.) I think I'd need a 110 width on the right foot or more. Has anyone *really* molded the tub out 3-4 mm in width?

The alternative might be to go up a half size, but I think that's going to be too long.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Don’t go longer. I tried and it did not fix the width issues I was having. I am a 44 wide on my vapor s and had tried a 44 1/2. My foot is actually a little bit longer than yours and the 44 1/2 was too long and still not wide enough. The 44 wide was good but still needed 3 molding sessions to be perfect. The shoes are not worth getting in the wrong size. When they’re right they fit amazing but when they’re wrong they just don’t work. For what it’s worth I also tried a 44 regular and really stretched it out to try and get it to fit but was never able to get it wide enough to stop the numbness in my pinky toe.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

Wheever

by Wheever

dak wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm
Don’t go longer. I tried and it did not fix the width issues I was having. I am a 44 wide on my vapor s and had tried a 44 1/2. My foot is actually a little bit longer than yours and the 44 1/2 was too long and still not wide enough. The 44 wide was good but still needed 3 molding sessions to be perfect. The shoes are not worth getting in the wrong size. When they’re right they fit amazing but when they’re wrong they just don’t work. For what it’s worth I also tried a 44 regular and really stretched it out to try and get it to fit but was never able to get it wide enough to stop the numbness in my pinky toe.
hmm. Too late now! But, As I said, I measured my foot a million times, at different times of the day, etc, and a 44 wide was going to be close on my right foot in length with socks on at the end of a ride. (it measured 275 exactly, with sock, at time of the largest measurement.) The 44.5 regular was only going to be close in width on my left foot, and only by a mm or so. Bont support said the 44.5 was a better fit for me than the 44w. I guess we'll find out next week. :roll:

by Weenie

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Wide Bonts are really wide. I have modestly wide feet, but their Wide was way too wide. (Sorry I don’t know my width).

Will say that Sidi Mega’s fit me nicely in the beginning, but would “fat out” over time leading to a shoe that was too wide. Conversely, the std width Sidi’s started out too tight until they “fatted out.”

I wear a std width 42.5 Vaypor and sad width 43 Vaypor S. The sizing is different between the two shoes (why Bont?!); however, the Vaypor fits me like a proverbial glove (but not too tight) and my feet have noticeably more room inside the ever so slightly larger Vaypor S. Neither Bont has “fatted out.”

Gimme the Bont Helix next! It’s sized the same as the Vaypor S, so it’ll be a 43 for me.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I wear Bont Vaypor S size 7 (40.5) wide. Could go down to 6.5 (40) wide length wise, as it is still a bit long. But the width of 7 wide is already pinching my left foot before i heat mold to expand it a bit so i didn't go down in size.

Anyway, this post is about Speedplay with Bont.
I orginally use Speedplay a while ago. But when i move to Bont, the base plate V2 doesn't seem to fit flat no matter what spacer used and i had some problem with clipping it even when it's clean and it become impossible with tiny bit of dirt/mud. So i "Evacuated" to Shimano SPD-SL.

Months pass, i had an idea about alternative base plate so i order multiple Chinese base plate off Ebay, as well as getting V1 base plate from Speedplay to test out.
Speedplay's baseplate V1 with small shim on top and big shim at the bottom seems to fit fine but somehow i can't screw my Speedplay Aero walkable cleats on it properly.
It's then one of plastic Ebay baseplate that seems to also fit nearly flat (close, not quite). Still, top bolt sit at an angle and protude above flat plastic surface so i have to dremel down bolt hole of the base plate to make the bolt not protuding.

Things fit and after first few hard clipping it to make it broken in, i can finally can use Speedplay again. I lower saddle height be 3mm as different in stack height suggest. However, it is not enough, i have to lower another 2mm and another 1mm to feel quite right. I'm still puzzle as why do i have to lower saddle down this much though, it should be just 3mm +-1.

Wheever

by Wheever

I had the similar problems changing seat height after going to Bonts and Speedplay walkable (Which have a lower stack height from the V2 cleats.) Just seems slightly off somehow.

I have a sugestion for your baseplate issue, though: get a pair of the aluminum extension plates. For whatever reason, those, with the shims that come with them, fit my bonts much better than the plastic base plate/cleat combo.

BTW: The walkable cleats use shorter screws with smaller heads than the v.1/v.2 cleats. Maybe that's part of your problem?