Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

I have finally set-up my Bont CTT-One shoes (acquired largely as a result of the comments on this Forum).

They are stupid-light compared to the Sidis that I typically use. The heat-moulding process was very fast and seems to have worked perfectly. They are very nicely made, with no flaws or imperfections anywhere. If pressed for negative comments, I would say that two come to mind.

If you have Morton's Toe, you may have difficulty with the stock sizes and may require a custom shoe. My second metatarsal on my left foot is about the same length as the first, and I think I can get away with the Bont. I will not know for sure until my first 5-hour ride in 30+ degrees... Another thing is the cleat placement.

I run Look pedals (I know, they are heavy, but I won an early set back in the 80's and have been on them ever since) with no float. Accordingly, it is crucial that the cleats be perfect and identical on every shoe. The process I use is to ride on the trainer in the dark. That way, I am 100% sure that there are no distractions when I adjust the cleats. Perfect every time and no need to worry about variances between shoes (which is the case, as no two pairs are exactly alike). Once I was done, I was suprised to see that I had virtually no possibility of further adjustment, as the cleats on both sides were at the extreme range of adjustability for the Bonts - both for rearward and toe-out adjustment. Now, I have a mild supination, so that does play a part, for sure. But as compared to Sidis, where by cleats still have a fair bit of adjustability in both directions, the same range of adjustability does not exist in the Bonts. If the ball of your foot is relatively far forward on your foot in relation to your shoe size (or if you run your cleats relatively far forward on your existing shoes in relation to the ball of your foot); or, if you have a significant toe-out position (by example, my heel is nowhere near striking the crankarm, and I know lots of guys who do), then you may have a problem with the cleat adjustment on stock Bont shoes (again, my experience is specific to Look cleats).

by 113245

So as I understand it, I can't really expect the sole to mold much (although some member here had some luck pushing out the arches a bit after baking at much higher-than-recommended temperature and pushign with a broom handle using his whole body weight) but the sides of the carbon tub can be pushed in to fit my foot better? Is that it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yongkun

by yongkun

kulivontot wrote:A1 is basically last version of the vaypor. They're similar in weight and construction.

I managed to try the Vaypor at a shop, however the shop doesnt carry the A-One range. I am planning on getting a pair of Vaypor and A-One as a reserve shoe. I am just worried about the fit, as i plan to get the A-One online.

Reason being is that Bont sizing wizard recommend 44.5 Wide, however after trying the Vaypor at the shop, it was Sz 46 Wide, similar to my current Giro Factor and my MTB Sidi XC shoes. Puzzling. Unsure if the A-One will fits the same as the Vaypor.

Is the hair dryer method safe for the shoe, for spot heating, to rectify some issues at some area?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've given up on my Bonts after the realisation that my 2nd & 3rd toes are longer than my big toe - this meant that whilst the 44.5 wide was too long for my foot generally, my 2nd & 3rd toes touch the end of the shoe uncomfortable, and in a manner that I don't believe molding would sort.

The Bont shape is great if you have 'normal' feet, but having reverted to my Northwaves it seems the more normal, pointier shoe design is probably better for my freaky toes.

I'm going to try Sidi Mega again...

(and as a side-note, if anyone wants a set of Vaypor Premium in 44.5 wide I now have a little-used set for sale!)

poully

by poully

I'm one of the lucky ones :D
Having been riding Sidi Genius 6.6 size 44, then recently getting Ergo 2 in 44's, I was bit surprised to find the fit wasn't quite the same and the Ergo's felt tight across the bridge.
I spotted a pair of 2013 Vaypors at the right price, waded through all the positive reviews, then all the negative reviews and decided I'd take the chance and find out for myself and am I glad I did.
Just needed a bit of a push out when moulding on the inside left arch, which I did bit by bit as that area of the shoe is quite tough to mould I found.
I got an 80 mile ride in yesterday and first impressions are super stiff, feels like all the power is being put through the pedals, and super comfortable throughout the ride, even with stock insoles.
Given that these also come in way lighter than the Sidi's, I'm very pleased.

I sized up as a Eu 44.5 in the Bonts compared to 44 in the Sidis.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

My second and third little toes are about as long as my neighboring big toe ... so i made an adjustment to the front of the toe box from the inside with the rounded back end of a screwdriver. I'm good to go now. Try it before you give up on them.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

To put it in perspective, the shoe is too big for my foot overall, but not big enough for my toes - toe box adjustments wouldn't sort it without drilling holes!

LouisN

by LouisN

BikeTart wrote:I've given up on my Bonts after the realisation that my 2nd & 3rd toes are longer than my big toe - this meant that whilst the 44.5 wide was too long for my foot generally, my 2nd & 3rd toes touch the end of the shoe uncomfortable, and in a manner that I don't believe molding would sort.

The Bont shape is great if you have 'normal' feet, but having reverted to my Northwaves it seems the more normal, pointier shoe design is probably better for my freaky toes.

I'm going to try Sidi Mega again...

(and as a side-note, if anyone wants a set of Vaypor Premium in 44.5 wide I now have a little-used set for sale!)

It takes some work to shape the Bont's to most feet.

I had the same little problem.
Solved it by shaping and taping some felt (the type you put under the chair legs to save the delicate floors) over my 2nd and 3rd toes, and over my bunions.
Then I put 2 pair of socks on.
Did the usual molding process. That took care of the toes problem.
For the volume, I put my Specialized BG insoles, and use some thick cush socks.

The fit is now very good. Not perfect, but fine for me. I learned how to live with, and use these special shoes.

Louis :)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Good for you. As I say above, the 44.5 is too big for my foot and the toe box is the wrong shape. It's the second time I've tried Bonts and I'm not prepared to totally devalue $450 of shoes to try and make them work when others are more comfortable out of the box.

antipodean

by antipodean

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 405&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LouisN

by LouisN

OK,me want.

Louis :)

gummee

by gummee

The new Vaypor + just got 'unveiled' on FB.

Dials instead of straps

Looks good!

M

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

It's been two seasons now on my Vaypors and they still look as good as they feel. Two giant thumbs-up for quality and comfort (once I got them heat formed to my feet, which was kinda fun). :thumbup:

Dials are "in" and Bont is jumping on the bandwagon. In my experience, the securement method (BOA-esque dials or velcro straps) aren't all that important on Bonts. Now bear with me on my non-technical description, but Bont's carbon "canoe" or "bathtub" fit around my feet renders the velcro straps only marginally important. The lower velcro strap across my toes provides little to no help (because the shoe is cradling my feet so nicely and securely) and the other strap only needs to do half a job (for the same reason). It's not like the shoes would immediately fly off my feet without them.

Do I want the new, new Vaypor? Hell, yeah.

Do Vaypors need a better securement method? Nah.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinnyrider

by skinnyrider

When buying Vapors, do you want them to be a little tight in the toe-box to begin? Or is space better?

Where should your toe come to, end before the plastic overlap, or underneath the plastic overlap?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 113245

Johnny Rad wrote:Dials are "in" and Bont is jumping on the bandwagon. In my experience, the securement method (BOA-esque dials or velcro straps) aren't all that important on Bonts. Now bear with me on my non-technical description, but Bont's carbon "canoe" or "bathtub" fit around my feet renders the velcro straps only marginally important. The lower velcro strap across my toes provides little to no help (because the shoe is cradling my feet so nicely and securely) and the other strap only needs to do half a job (for the same reason). It's not like the shoes would immediately fly off my feet without them.

Do I want the new, new Vaypor? Hell, yeah.

Do Vaypors need a better securement method? Nah.

I recently did a ride on the trainer, when I was putting on my shoes I was interrupted and only ended up putting the tip of the ratchet in, not ratcheting it down tight... It took me like 5 minutes to realize! They fit very well and I would not be surprised if they could still be useful after a crash say, mid-race, where a ratchet breaks.