Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

Nice! I wished I had got a pair of those. They look exactly like my Vaypor + shoes only they have the Boa dials. Consider yourself lucky, the atop dials really suck. I've even considered ditching the shoes just because they (the atop dials) suck so bad.

shillc

by shillc

Thanks, Good to know about the ATOP.
What exactly are the issues with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

1. They're so hard to loosen the feel like they're going to break right before they let go with a snap
2. Then it just completely loosens and you have tighten it backup where you want it.
3. They don't stay tight. Especially the lower dials, if I just curl my toes the dial will let go sometimes. My S-works shoes with Boa's I sometimes have to loosen a little on long rides. These I have to tighten back up.

Other than the dials the shoes are great. Very comfy. Very disappointed in the atop dials as the shoes should be a top notch product all the way around. Major flaw there. I don't want to bitch about what they cost but I do expect a higher quality closure system for that kind of money. Very disappointing and I can certainly understand the switch to Boa. Would be cool if Bont offered a trade-in or something but in the end I should have done more homework.

shillc

by shillc

Perhaps you can switch out the ATOP for Boas.

rmerka

by rmerka

I would but in typical fashion they have decided not to respond to my emails. I'd take them back to the dealer but unfortunately I purchased them direct from Bont. I won't make the Bont mistake again...

HAKS

by HAKS

shillc wrote:It seems Bont has made the switch to Boa dials.

I would love to get some BOAs on mine. Are there any model numbers of the dials which would allow other users to order the parts from BOA? There spare parts section on the website details how to work out what model you have. Perhaps some photos of the dials might be enough for others to do the detective work?

Thanks

shillc

by shillc

I will take a close up picture tomorrow.

Cheers,

Joe

shillc

by shillc

Never mind. It is the L5. They are the same as my Louis Garneau and look unlike any other.

HAKS

by HAKS

Thanks. I might try my luck at ordering a L5 dial and seeing if it works. BOA replied to me but said due to agreements with manufacturers they couldn't tell me what parts to get :(. They also said they would not be suitable to replace the ATOPs with BOAs. Due to this last bit I'd still be interested in some high res snaps of the BOA dials and surrounds on your shoes if its no trouble. Happy to PM you my details if the forum isn't the best place.

shillc

by shillc

Ok, no worries, will take pic tonight.

shillc

by shillc

ImageImage

Hope this helps.

ph

by ph

shillc - did you have a chance to weigh your vaypor+? Claimed 230g per bont website - size? I recall posters being disappointed with actual weights of early ATOP vaypor+ shoes. Also, the the BOA dials ratchet in both directions? I had the 1st gen Specialized shoes with single BOA dial and learned to live with one way ratcheting but 2 way would have been ideal.

shillc

by shillc

I have not weighed them. Without a scale at present.
They feel very similar in weight to my A1's which were 255.
The Boa dials only tighten and disengage to loosen by pulling.
I was keen to try the ATOP for that reason until I heard of the issues.

HAKS

by HAKS

Thanks for the photos shillc. Looks like I can't swap out the ATOPs easily for BOA. The part sewn into the shoe is different which I guess you would expect from the different brands. Oh well :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Bont shoes are now available at Competitive Cyclist. They have a really good return policy too.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store ... q=bont&s=u