Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

-received vaypor S and G in 45 Asian fit
-fit pretty good, arch is better than regular (for low arch feet), more room up front for the toes and bunions
-arch is still a touch out of place, and mid foot still a touch narrow at spots
-molded many many times, hair drier+screw driver as well
-baked generally at about 85*C for 30/40 min in oven
-they don't get too soft, but enough to move a bit
-anyway, uppers are at about 85% good

-main question I have is for insoles...what are you using for low arch feet in Bonts?

-stock are okay, but since they are so thin and no arch, I can feel a bit too much of the carbon arch.

-tried:
--SOLE Active thin, okay but arch too tall and out of place (too forward, then heels are forward)
--specialized BG Red, okay, but since there's a touch of arch in the carbon sole, and the insole doesn't have a cutout/relief for the built in arch, it raises the arch a touch too much.
--my old Garneau, okay but same issue as specialized

-ideal insole would be heat moldable or low arch, but with a touch of padding and a relief cutout or vacant space for the arch so the built in carbon arch doesn't interfere with it.

spud

by spud

^Use the Spec red after grinding out the underside of arch area. You need an insole with a hard section that you can grind away in order to eliminate the top side arch. Sure you can do it with other makes, but I am more familiar with Spec.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

spud wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:29 pm
^Use the Spec red after grinding out the underside of arch area. You need an insole with a hard section that you can grind away in order to eliminate the top side arch. Sure you can do it with other makes, but I am more familiar with Spec.
After sitting for another while with the spec red insoles I've realized it's the met pad that I don't like. The arch doesn't feel too bad in them.

I really wish Bont would include a heat moldable insole with their shoes. Take the SOLE insole but make it so it's shaped to fit the shoe. The SOLE insole just doesn't fit well in the Bonts. It's too thick in the midfoot and the heel is too deep and thick.

There's a hockey skate insole I kind of want to try called Bauer speedplate (there's a 1.0 & 2.0 version). Heat moldable and thin.

Any other insole recommendations for low arches?

Superfeet custom carbon thin might work too. Heat moldable. Not many reviews.

spud

by spud

I use the Superfeet carbon insoles. Very low profile, I like them, though I had to shim underneath the arch area to get more effective arch in order for my foot to sit in the shoe properly. Took me a while to figure that part out, many trainer rides adjusting cleats etc thinking that was the issue, finally tried shimming and everything clicked at once.

pemo

by pemo

Hi,

I think I need your help to choose the correct size.

My feet are respectively 275mm (left) and 278mm (right). ~103mm wide (surprisingly, when a shoe is too short, it is always for the left one)

I currently have 2 pairs of Riot+:
44.5 is ok but a bit tight, in particular the volume of the front is on the tight side (my foot can touch the upper material)
I also have a pair in 45, which has a lot of room (may be too much) but is more comfortable (the only thing that makes me prefers the 44.5 is to reduce the toes overlap with the front wheel)

I am planning to order a pair of Vaypor S and I would like to know if the Vaypor S sizes a bit longer or shorter than the Riot+.

What would be your recommendation between 44.5 and 45 for a pair of Vaypor S?

Thanks for you help.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

pemo wrote:Hi,

I think I need your help to choose the correct size.

My feet are respectively 275mm (left) and 278mm (right). ~103mm wide (surprisingly, when a shoe is too short, it is always for the left one)

I currently have 2 pairs of Riot+:
44.5 is ok but a bit tight, in particular the volume of the front is on the tight side (my foot can touch the upper material)
I also have a pair in 45, which has a lot of room (may be too much) but is more comfortable (the only thing that makes me prefers the 44.5 is to reduce the toes overlap with the front wheel)

I am planning to order a pair of Vaypor S and I would like to know if the Vaypor S sizes a bit longer or shorter than the Riot+.

What would be your recommendation between 44.5 and 45 for a pair of Vaypor S?

Thanks for you help.
Go with what’s more comfortable. Top over lap is only relevant at very low speeds and usually not an issue when riding.

If you’re really set on the 44.5 you can always order “semi-customs” and opt for more volume to be added to the shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmanley

by tmanley

Funny enough I needed less volume with my Vaypor S's (these were my first Bont shoes). I specifcially needed a little less volume across the first two-thirds of my foot (going from toe to heel). I took an old Sidi flat insole, cut the back third off (because I really liked the heel lock fit w/ the custom insole depth/height), and found this solution took away most of the excessive forefoot volume issues I was experiencing.

Would a "semi-custom" option be able to accomodate the ask for less volume?

Ronin416

by Ronin416

tmanley wrote:Funny enough I needed less volume with my Vaypor S's (these were my first Bont shoes). I specifcially needed a little less volume across the first two-thirds of my foot (going from toe to heel). I took an old Sidi flat insole, cut the back third off (because I really liked the heel lock fit w/ the custom insole depth/height), and found this solution took away most of the excessive forefoot volume issues I was experiencing.

Would a "semi-custom" option be able to accomodate the ask for less volume?
So funny you asked. My semi-customs Li2 BOA have just arrived spec’d out with less volume for my boney- narrow feet. I had taken a few height measurements, between the big toe, sides, etc. - can’t remember exactly. Then they made me a set. My old Vaypor S would had to be tighten all the way maxing it out and crinkling the upper. Now it’s perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmanley

by tmanley

Sounds like exactly what I need.

Spurdo

by Spurdo

Ordered the new Vaypor S's late in January and finally got 'em. Feels real nice even without heat molding, really liking the heel retention, going to heat mold anyway.
Finish on the product is dare I say a bit crudish for what I feel is a premium product. I personally dont mind but someone else might.
Kinda bummed that weather took a turn to worse so going to take a while until I take 'em for a long spin outdoors.

As a side note does anyone have experience with those plates that allow you to move cleats further back? Might want to try those on the old pair on TT bike.

kdawg

by kdawg

I use those - right now I'm using Speedplay and they work well - you just replace the regular part with the extended one so it makes no difference - other than you can't use the 4 bolt shoes.

I tried the ones for 3 bolt holes and they were good - you could get way further back which I like but the only problem is that it adds quite a bit to the stack height - would probably get used to it but it felt weird and when I tried Speedplay I liked them better for a few reasons so I've stuck with them.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Anyone else waiting for their order? It's been about 13 weeks so far for a pair of Vaypor Gs in Asian fit.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I guess Chinese covid lockdowns haven’t exactly made wonder to the production and shipping timelines…

jlok

by jlok

JKolmo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:47 am
I guess Chinese covid lockdowns haven’t exactly made wonder to the production and shipping timelines…
The lock down is unusually tight, and dare I say it's overtightened and people snapped exactly like a carbon part being over torqued. I'm not sure if the government feel a thing or they might just treat them like cheap MIC products... I hope this end asap. People need help.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I tested several insoles with no luck. Finally pulled the trigger with specialized retul custom insoles. They work. They are firm and thin so they can pass over the Bont built in arch. Add a touch of volume compared to stock Bont insoles which was needed in my case. But did not make them feel smaller. Overall best shoes and insoles I've tried in years. I'd say they are 90% good. Insoles we're molded slightly different left vs right. So I may go for a re mold on them. The heel hold on the Bonts also aren't that great. Can't really get enough molding out of the heels. Have to really crank the boas down to get any heel hold. I wish Bont would use a heel like the sworks ares. Where it's kind of thicker and cushier. Bont should really also partner with some brand or make their own heat moldable insoles. Seems like a no brainer to expand the business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com