Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Looks like the Chinese resellers are starting to make Bont clones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303465 ... 3c008Q8SGE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:32 pm
alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm
\
If money is not a problem, get a pair of vaypor+ 2016.
I personnaly don't see the Vaypor+ 2016 as better than the Vaypor S as the main difference between the Vaypor S and the Vaypor+ 2016 is that the Vaypor+ 2016 is out of kangaroo leather. If wet the leather doesn't dry as good and I don't see the need of some "kangaroo" leather (I am not even vegan).

If money is not a problem I would rather have 2 pairs of Vaypor S in different colors and 1 x Vaypor S and 1 x Helix.
Not dry as good in wet, but more comfortable in dry. Kangaroo leather is better than their artificial leather.

Then if money is not a problem, add 1 x vaypor+ 2016 for good weather.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I can imagine having crocodile on my shoes, but kangaroo? Come one.... ;)

biohazard31

by biohazard31

bremerradkurier wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 pm
Looks like the Chinese resellers are starting to make Bont clones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303465 ... 3c008Q8SGE
shoes looks good and claimed it is made in the same factory as Bonts.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Has anyone compared the original Vaypor to the new Riot?
I've just tried Riot's on with the boa and I'm surprised how good they felt, they felt as basically the same as the original Vaypor.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Picture request: white Bont side-by-side to white Bont Reflex

Background: Bont just launched a version of their Vaypor S and Helix with reflective bits; however the white Durolite material with reflective capability looks off-white or almost silver. Not sure I’ll like that, but would like to see how it compares to a standard white.

http://shop.bontcycling.com/VSSR-36

elzilcho

by elzilcho

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am
I've just tried Riot's on with the boa and I'm surprised how good they felt, they felt as basically the same as the original Vaypor.
I use the Vaypor S for road and the newer Riot MTB for gravel. They are supposedly the same last/mold, and I would mostly agree. I use the same inserts on both and don't feel a difference in the footbed, but the different upper material definitely changes how they fit. Also, the Boa on the Riots does not rotate backwards to release tension which is annoying for me as my feet tend to swell and shrink a lot during rides.

Rudi

by Rudi

I think there are some small variations in size based on this:

https://bontcycling.com/items/support/size-chart.html

I personally find the Riot feels a little narrower than my Vaypor, even after moulding, but the chart says they are the same width (but 2mm shorter) in my size so go figure :-)

The way that chart reads to me is 3 different lasts, but that is purely a guess on my part.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

elzilcho

by elzilcho

Rudi wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm
I think there are some small variations in size based on this:

https://bontcycling.com/items/support/size-chart.html

I personally find the Riot feels a little narrower than my Vaypor, even after moulding, but the chart says they are the same width (but 2mm shorter) in my size so go figure :-)

The way that chart reads to me is 3 different lasts, but that is purely a guess on my part.
By newer Riot I meant the Riot+. Both the Vaypor S and Riot+ series are in the top category.

Rudi

by Rudi

Doh! Sorry, didn't spot that. For clarity I have Riot+ and Vaypor+
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

tarmackev

by tarmackev

elzilcho wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:09 am
tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am
I use the Vaypor S for road and the newer Riot MTB for gravel. They are supposedly the same last/mold, and I would mostly agree. I use the same inserts on both and don't feel a difference in the footbed, but the different upper material definitely changes how they fit. Also, the Boa on the Riots does not rotate backwards to release tension which is annoying for me as my feet tend to swell and shrink a lot during rides.
Thanks for the reply, I've ended up with the new Vaypor S. :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

tarmackev wrote: Thanks for the reply, I've ended up with the new Vaypor S. :thumbup:

Is there a “New” Vaypor S?
What is “new” compared to the “old” Vaypor S?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 pm
Picture request: white Bont side-by-side to white Bont Reflex

Background: Bont just launched a version of their Vaypor S and Helix with reflective bits; however the white Durolite material with reflective capability looks off-white or almost silver. Not sure I’ll like that, but would like to see how it compares to a standard white.

http://shop.bontcycling.com/VSSR-36
The Bont Vaypor S Reflex in silver / gray is indeed reflective silver / gray (like a reflective Giro shoe?) and not to be confused with white. The best representation of the Reflex color is the shoe in the background.

Vaypor S Reflex are 516g/pair including 30g/pair factory insoles.

Vaypor S Reflex seems to have a more padded tongue than I recall from my earlier Vaypor S (non-Reflex) from a few years back.

Image>

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

2020 Bont Vaypor S update... I'm still a big fan of Bonts. Weight-wise, everything's still in the same gram ballpark for sz 42.5/43.

Helix, sz 43 [2019] - never really cared for the single Boa adjustment of the Helix, so I'm fully back in the Vaypor S camp - RIP due to unexpected ground incursion
* 478g including 30g factory insoles

Reflex Vaypor S, sz 43 [2019] - low light riding shoes
* 516g/pair including 50g factory insoles (different design from Bont)

Vaypor S, sz 43 [2020] - new daily driver shoes
* 490g/pair including 34g factory insoles

Vaypor S, sz 43 [2018] - trainer shoes now
* "just under 500g/pair" including ~30g factory insoles

Vaypor, sz 42.5 [2011] - "old" sizing convention that largely translates to 43 today - finally replaced after 5 seasons because come on now
* 522g/pair including factory insoles

A-1, sz 42.5 wide [2011] - "old" sizing convention that largely translates to 43 today - replaced with neater looking, narrower Vaypors
* 507g/pair including factory insoles
Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 am
I've worn my new Bont Vaypor S shoes for a few hundred miles now and am ready to share...

As background, I've been happily wearing the original Vaypor (sz 42.5) for the past 5 seasons! Not only did they refuse to wear out, they were an absolute dream to wear. After a couple of minor heat molding sessions, they held my feet just right with no hot spots - not too tightly and not too loose. They fit so well the velcro straps didn't seem necessary at all. A middle toe or two on both feet would occasionally hit the end of the toe box, but never enough to bother me enough to heat mold them again. After five seasons, I said enough is enough and moved on to the Vaypor S.

The Vaypor S (sz 43) fits differently, but the results are similarly positive. Bont seems to have changed their sizing chart / measurements, but even so the original Vaypor sz 42.5 is a hair shorter than the Vaypor S sz 43. The ends of my toes appreciate the extra room in the Vaypor S, but they don't hold my feet as securely. As nemeses wrote, I feel like I have to crank down on the two BOAs to make the shoes tight enough on my feet. When I walk in them, my heel lifts. When I ride, I don't get that same sensation. In the end, I'm not sure that it's even a big deal cranking down the BOAs because the Vaypor S shoes are never so tight they hurt or are cutting off the blood flow. Keep in mind, the velcro straps on my Vaypor shoes only need to be gently pulled into place - they honestly aren't even necessary, so I never pulled them tight. Hope this comparison makes sense!
nemeseri wrote:I'm testing my Vaypor Sprints in 42 (260mm) ... When I really want to I can move my heel slightly to the side in the shoe too.
Weights of my Bont shoes (or how things change but more or less stay the same):

* Original A1s (sz 42.5W) = 507g/pair including the insole (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... or#p725288)

* Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) = 522g/pair including the insole

* Vaypor S (sz 43) = just under 500g/pair including the insole (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 2#p1208232)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kdawg

by kdawg

The sizing definitely seems to have changed. My old Vaypor+ have given up - I've got a crack across the sole which I can flex with my hands.

I got a good deal on Riot+ in wide and went up half a size to try and get some small toe room - but they're significantly narrower than my old ones. Didn't do any molding as they were even close and sent them back yesterday.

Got some Lake's in wide which feel great - obviously a different style of shoe but very comfortable. Their wide versions are properly wide - outsole and upper - and one style even has an extra wide.
I'm left handed, if that matters.