Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

TribesMan wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:37 am
Exactly, these shoes are great, if you can make them fit to your shape of foot.
And you can have a really bad time if that is not the case, since the bathtub construction does not allow for any foot expansion during riding.

I fear that these shoes are not as "adaptable" as Bont may want us to believe.
Heat moulding can only compensate for minor fit issues, if they are not 95% "perfect" when you first place you foot into them, just forget about it.
I'd argue even 98%. I never found much movement in the heat moulding process. In the millimeters of adjustment, maybe not even.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

You have to use much higher temperatures than specified by Bont.
I think they suggest using 70°C, but from my experience you need at least 90°C or higher, around 105°C I found them quite easy to work on.
But still you can only fix minor issues using moulding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

The problem is that it can be hard to know whether you are 95% or the way there before heat moulding or not. In my case, just a few mm here and there were the difference between the shoes being almost unbearably tight, and having a perfect fit that I happily used for years. Of course I took a gamble, because you can't return them after moulding.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I use heat gun. I remold the heel cup from having about 5-7mm empty space to push right on my heel.
I also widen the big toe base and pinky toe base outward by about 2-3mm each side.
They all comply to my heat gun's influence.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Problem I have with bonts, is that I am not sure that it is actually that good to block your feet movement in the way that they do.

Power transfer is unrivalled, but stopping any pronation for long periods of time can lead to other issues in my exerience.

I prefer a shoe with a slightly softer/stretchy upper for longer rides. Something that allows my feet to be a bit more natural, whilst still keeping everything in line to prevent injury.

naavt

by naavt

I've molded my shoes about ten times to say the least (the same pair)! Every time with a precision woven thermometer just to be safe.

As many here I also acknowledge that the changes are very subtle, but nonetheless I have achieved a "correction" on my right foot fifth metatarsal to a point where I no longer feel the pain that I've always suffered with other shoes, and this ones right out of the box (wide Vaypor-S version).

When I look at both (left and right shoes), I can see the difference in width between them on the spot where I've made the changes, but they were VERY HARD to achieve and initially, when I bought them, I've thought that the molding process was easier and more apparent.

naavt

by naavt

I've molded my shoes about ten times to say the least (the same pair)! Every time with a precision woven thermometer that I've bought for the purpose, just to be safe (I've came to know that my oven has a 20 degree difference around 70 degrees celcius, and that discrepancy is even higher at higher temperatures).

As many here I also acknowledge that the changes are very subtle, but nonetheless I have achieved a "correction" on my right foot fifth metatarsal to a point where I no longer feel the pain that I've always suffered with other shoes, and this ones right out of the box (wide Vaypor-S version).

When I look at both left and right shoes I can see the difference in width between them on the spot where I've made the changes, but they were VERY HARD to achieve and initially, when I bought them, I've thought that the molding process was easier and more apparent.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Found these on Amazon. They are made from pretty thick cast iron. Used them this weekend to get some spots out of my shoes that were bugging me. Worth the money. They stretch the carbon way more than any screwdriver could ever do. Like moulding butter :) Super easy, super fast. FootFitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000POHTOG?re ... b_ap_share
Attachments
Screenshot_20210823-120843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210823-120840_Amazon Shopping.jpg

hoburgen

by hoburgen

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Found these on Amazon. They are made from pretty thick cast iron. Used them this weekend to get some spots out of my shoes that were bugging me. Worth the money. They stretch the carbon way more than any screwdriver could ever do. Like moulding butter :) Super easy, super fast. FootFitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000POHTOG?re ... b_ap_share
Awesome, thanks!

DaiD

by DaiD

Hi there,

It's coming to the time when I am going to be buying a new pair of shoes, as my current Bont Riots are very scruffy and old, and the upper creases uncomfortably when the ratchet strap is snugged down.

I love the Bonts but they're pretty expensive and I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any other brands that enable cleats to be set as far back as the Bonts do? I've tried S-Phyres given the amount of adjustment they have, but they were nowhere near the Bonts.

Any help appreciated! :thumbup:

jlok

by jlok

@DaiD Check out Fizik shoes.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

jlok wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:25 am
For rearward clear positioning? Yeah nah.....

Try Lake. They'll also have width options.

jlok

by jlok

Sammutd88 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:41 am
jlok wrote:

Lake CX1C is not even as far back than my Bont Vaypor+ 2016...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

jlok wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
jlok wrote:

Lake have decent cleat postioning, but Fizik are completely at the other end of the spectrum, they are renowned for having a forward cleat position - so much so that many bike fitters hate Fizik shoes.

jlok

by jlok

Sammutd88 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 am
jlok wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
jlok wrote:

Lake have decent cleat postioning, but Fizik are completely at the other end of the spectrum, they are renowned for having a forward cleat position - so much so that many bike fitters hate Fizik shoes.
I just got a pair of Tempo Overcurve R4 Wide on hand, and guess what? It has the same cleat distance from the front as my Bont (and my Bont is half a size bigger, so relatively speaking the R4 has a more rearward position).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com