Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

harblhat wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:32 pm
Got an update for my shoes ordered on Black Friday. Expected to finish production 10 March...
Ouch…. Still nothing regarding my Black Friday order :(

:)
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

So I've been reading through and wanted to check if there was a concensus for measuring feet;

A lot of people recommend applying "pedalling force" when you're measuring and to measure at different times of the day.

But what about socks, are people measuring with cycling socks on? My cycling socks vary a bit in thickness (some thicker for winter) and so my lengths vary quite a bit (e.g. between 257mm and 262mm, average ~259.5mm). This puts me between on the upper end of 42.5 and the lower end of 43mm.

Bont don't say anything about wearing socks, so should I go with the 42.5mm then? Or should I go for the 43 since it might be hard to "stretch" the tub out to get more length?

P.S. I'm ignoring the width since I'm set on getting Asian fit so both sizes will have adequate width.

Thanks!
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

harblhat

by harblhat

With Bonts, always err on the longer side. Never get Bonts too short because it's next to impossible to lengthen them. The tub is also so unforgiving that toes bumping into the front or sides will be in a lot of pain after a ride.

milanv

by milanv

istigatrice wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:18 am
So I've been reading through and wanted to check if there was a concensus for measuring feet;

A lot of people recommend applying "pedalling force" when you're measuring and to measure at different times of the day.

But what about socks, are people measuring with cycling socks on? My cycling socks vary a bit in thickness (some thicker for winter) and so my lengths vary quite a bit (e.g. between 257mm and 262mm, average ~259.5mm). This puts me between on the upper end of 42.5 and the lower end of 43mm.

Bont don't say anything about wearing socks, so should I go with the 42.5mm then? Or should I go for the 43 since it might be hard to "stretch" the tub out to get more length?

P.S. I'm ignoring the width since I'm set on getting Asian fit so both sizes will have adequate width.

Thanks!
Always with socks, you are wearing them during rides.

kdawg

by kdawg

I had older ones a few years ago which were good but not great - the instructions changed a little and I followed them for my new ones and they are better - the difference was lifting my heel and putting weight on the front of my foot - it spreads a little that way so a half size more makes sense I think. I'd definitely lean up the way rather than tight.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

harblhat wrote:With Bonts, always err on the longer side. Never get Bonts too short because it's next to impossible to lengthen them. The tub is also so unforgiving that toes bumping into the front or sides will be in a lot of pain after a ride.
Second that, there’s no stretching that’s going to occur. Side on larger than smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TQ1

by TQ1

Looking at replacing 2015 Vaypor + with either new S or Helix. I'm leaning towards the S at the minute for the dual boa.

For colours, do the reflective shoes wear quickly/poorly? If so then it will probably be black again!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

TQ1 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:28 pm
Looking at replacing 2015 Vaypor + with either new S or Helix. I'm leaning towards the S at the minute for the dual boa.

For colours, do the reflective shoes wear quickly/poorly? If so then it will probably be black again!
For what it's worth, I didn't like the single boa Helix - they were either too tight at the top of my foot and too loose lower or vice versa. I strongly prefer the twin boa Vaypor S.

I've worn the gray reflective Bonts for 1-2 seasons and can happily report no change in reflective-ness from new.

TQ1

by TQ1

Excellent thanks, just need to measure my feet up again, think I need to go up a size to a 48 but might order a couple of pairs & return.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

TQ1 wrote:Looking at replacing 2015 Vaypor + with either new S or Helix. I'm leaning towards the S at the minute for the dual boa.

Stick with the dual BOAs

Note: the reflective material is a bit tougher in terms of flexibility than the regular colored durolite.

I’ve had the Helix and Vaypor S. The Helix is a lot more tricky to snug up in the forefoot than the Vaypor S with the single BOA. You have to tug on the cables at the front to remove all the slack before snugging it’s up. Hence - stick with the Vaypor S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I like my Helix as well as my older Vaypor S and Riot MTB.
It is firm mid foot, and no pressure around the toes just like how I like it to be.
But I can totally see if this is not what you like, there is no way to adjust it. So, dual BOA shoes are safer bet because it allow more range of adjustment.

Also, on Helix,
since the cable loop is so long and wrap around a big curvy tunnel. There is definitely noticeable stiction in the cable. So, while tightening, I have to wiggle my feet in the shoe (tense up toe fingers do the trick) to help cable balance its tension throughout its whole length.

TQ1

by TQ1

Sold on the Vaypor S then.

Had A-Threes in a 48 and these are Vaypor Plus in a 47.

Measuring with the "new" system I'm a 48 or even a 49! Seems out of whack, I'm usually a 45-47 max!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

I just received an email that my Vaypor S’s just shipped. Only 3 months after ordering.

:)
:beerchug:

kdawg

by kdawg

Got my tracking info too - 3 weeks late like they said when I emailed. Says just left China and should be with me Tuesday.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jonolsson

by Jonolsson

I bought the vaypor s on February 18, they need 8 weeks, but they arrived yesterday... Image