Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Wide Bonts are really wide. I have modestly wide feet, but their Wide was way too wide. (Sorry I don’t know my width).

Will say that Sidi Mega’s fit me nicely in the beginning, but would “fat out” over time leading to a shoe that was too wide. Conversely, the std width Sidi’s started out too tight until they “fatted out.”

I wear a std width 42.5 Vaypor and std width 43 Vaypor S. The sizing is different between the two shoes (why Bont?!); however, the Vaypor fits me like a proverbial glove (but not too tight) and my feet have noticeably more room inside the ever so slightly larger Vaypor S. Neither Bont has “fatted out.”

Gimme the Bont Helix next! It’s sized the same as the Vaypor S, so it’ll be a 43 for me.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I wear Bont Vaypor S size 7 (40.5) wide. Could go down to 6.5 (40) wide length wise, as it is still a bit long. But the width of 7 wide is already pinching my left foot before i heat mold to expand it a bit so i didn't go down in size.

Anyway, this post is about Speedplay with Bont.
I orginally use Speedplay a while ago. But when i move to Bont, the base plate V2 doesn't seem to fit flat no matter what spacer used and i had some problem with clipping it even when it's clean and it become impossible with tiny bit of dirt/mud. So i "Evacuated" to Shimano SPD-SL.

Months pass, i had an idea about alternative base plate so i order multiple Chinese base plate off Ebay, as well as getting V1 base plate from Speedplay to test out.
Speedplay's baseplate V1 with small shim on top and big shim at the bottom seems to fit fine but somehow i can't screw my Speedplay Aero walkable cleats on it properly.
It's then one of plastic Ebay baseplate that seems to also fit nearly flat (close, not quite). Still, top bolt sit at an angle and protude above flat plastic surface so i have to dremel down bolt hole of the base plate to make the bolt not protuding.

Things fit and after first few hard clipping it to make it broken in, i can finally can use Speedplay again. I lower saddle height be 3mm as different in stack height suggest. However, it is not enough, i have to lower another 2mm and another 1mm to feel quite right. I'm still puzzle as why do i have to lower saddle down this much though, it should be just 3mm +-1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wheever

by Wheever

I had the similar problems changing seat height after going to Bonts and Speedplay walkable (Which have a lower stack height from the V2 cleats.) Just seems slightly off somehow.

I have a sugestion for your baseplate issue, though: get a pair of the aluminum extension plates. For whatever reason, those, with the shims that come with them, fit my bonts much better than the plastic base plate/cleat combo.

BTW: The walkable cleats use shorter screws with smaller heads than the v.1/v.2 cleats. Maybe that's part of your problem?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Exciting times at my house today! Just rec'd a special package from the land Down Under.

Bont Helix, sz 43 (new sizing convention) for next season
Verified, 478g/pair w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 520g/pair for sz 46.5)
Early indications from my feet are very positive - both feet have high hopes.

Replacing Bont Vaypor S, sz 43 (new sizing convention)
Verified, sub-500g/pair (and likely within a few grams of the Helix) w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 406g/pair)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1222944&hil ... r#p1222944
Very good, but not perfect. Not as indestructible as the earlier Vaypor. Specifically, the toe protector is not tall enough to truly protect the "leather." Didn't have the perfect glass slipper feeling as the earlier Vaypor either. Still, a very good shoe.

Which replaced Bont Vaypor, sz 42.5 (old sizing convention)
Verified, 522g/pair w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 480g/pair)
Excellent shoes. Lasted something like 5 seasons as my primary shoe. Still pulling ative duty on the trainer. Just won't die.

Which replaced Bont A1, sz 42.5 (old sizing convention)
...but I digress other than to demonstrate I'm a Bont homer.

Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 am
I've worn my new Bont Vaypor S shoes for a few hundred miles now and am ready to share...

As background, I've been happily wearing the original Vaypor (sz 42.5) for the past 5 seasons! Not only did they refuse to wear out, they were an absolute dream to wear. After a couple of minor heat molding sessions, they held my feet just right with no hot spots - not too tightly and not too loose. They fit so well the velcro straps didn't seem necessary at all. A middle toe or two on both feet would occasionally hit the end of the toe box, but never enough to bother me enough to heat mold them again. After five seasons, I said enough is enough and moved on to the Vaypor S.

The Vaypor S (sz 43) fits differently, but the results are similarly positive. Bont seems to have changed their sizing chart / measurements, but even so the original Vaypor sz 42.5 is a hair shorter than the Vaypor S sz 43. The ends of my toes appreciate the extra room in the Vaypor S, but they don't hold my feet as securely. As nemeses wrote, I feel like I have to crank down on the two BOAs to make the shoes tight enough on my feet. When I walk in them, my heel lifts. When I ride, I don't get that same sensation. In the end, I'm not sure that it's even a big deal cranking down the BOAs because the Vaypor S shoes are never so tight they hurt or are cutting off the blood flow. Keep in mind, the velcro straps on my Vaypor shoes only need to be gently pulled into place - they honestly aren't even necessary, so I never pulled them tight. Hope this comparison makes sense!
nemeseri wrote:I'm testing my Vaypor Sprints in 42 (260mm) ... When I really want to I can move my heel slightly to the side in the shoe too.
Weights of my Bont shoes (or how things change but more or less stay the same):

* Original A1s (sz 42.5W) = 507g/pair including the insole (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... or#p725288)

* Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) = 522g/pair including the insole

* Vaypor S (sz 43) = just under 500g/pair including the insole (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 2#p1208232)

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sungod

by sungod

i'm considering these for when my vaypor s get worn out, will be interested to hear how you get on with them, especially how the single boa compares for comfort/adjustment on long rides

aside from the boa, is the fit essentially the same as the vaypor s ?

Zervo84

by Zervo84

Hi there, just want some advice on purchasing a pair of Bont a Vaypor S please.
I have tried on a bunch of shoes recently and have felt heel slip in every one. I’ve only tested them by walking in them or pressing down on the front of the shoe as I haven’t been able to ride with them.
I have a really narrow ankle and low volume foot, that is wide at the forefoot with big toes. I’ve tried the S-Works 7, Shimano RC901 and RC701, and the Gaerne G Stilo plus. Recently tried on a pair of the Bont Vaypor S in size 44, and my heel was slipping out of those when walking by about 1cm. Also tried the 43 which was a little better but not enough room at the toes.
My question is: am I likely to be able to mould the heel cup enough to get rid of the heel slip? Has anyone had this much heel slip when trying on the shoe and then been able to mould it out? Interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

Vermu

by Vermu

Yes you’re able to mold that heel. Other option is Lake, there are lots of models with mouldable heel.

P.s if you tried bont in a shop, don’t they mold it for you and could’ve said what can be done and what not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

You can go customs on Bonts.. they take a plaster mold of your foot and send it off.. Im lucky enough that my friend is a Bont retailer, Ive had it done a few times... its obviously more expensive, but for me with an A width foot it made the biggest difference , its impossible to get an off the shelf shoe to fit me...

krazyeone

by krazyeone

I need an advice

I measure Right Foot=280-282 mm and ~105 mm width

it is crazy , because if I enter 280 mm in sizing guide, it will display 45 as recommended number , and if I put 281mm they say 46 :)

Can you please recomand what size for what model should I go?
Bont Vaypor S or Vaypor+ ?

I think I have medium arch

Thank you

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

sungod wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 am
i'm considering these for when my vaypor s get worn out, will be interested to hear how you get on with them, especially how the single boa compares for comfort/adjustment on long rides

aside from the boa, is the fit essentially the same as the vaypor s ?
No rides outsides w/Helix, yet. Just a few trainer sessions.

Yes, they fit like the Vaypor S. I still have high hopes for my new Helix shoes.

I don't wear my cycling shoes super tight. However, I fooled around and cinched the single BOA down tightly. They don't go as tight as the Vaypor S, but nicely distribute the BOA's tightness so it's not all right there at the top of the shoe. Make sense?

Machoman

by Machoman

I've just done my first big ride of 135km (i know) - and it was with a brand new Blitz. It's an amazing shoe. I can feel my feet finding it's place in the 'carbon bath tub' and the support it offers is fantastic.

I usually wear 43 in shimano + north wave, but in the shop the 43 in the Bont Blitz (my first Bont) were too snug and the 44 were good. Later on i used the Bont measurement and found it too recommended 44 for me.

i've got the Riot (buckle) and the Blitz. My only peeves with the Bonts are that i can never get the cleats forward enough - so more of the of the shoe is forward over the pedal spindle. The first time i wore my Riot i had some toe overlap and crashed the bike - snapped my derailleur and broke a spoke !!!!!!!! I've now dremelled my cleats to allow me to install it slightly forward. I won't use the Bonts for tight turning routes ( 90 and even 180 degree turns). So they'll be pretty much on the open roads. Having complained about the not-forward enough cleats -i think i do see the point of having cleats slightly backwards to minimize the calves from being engaged. I think I can feel my calves are not much impacted on the bonts on the long rides.

kdawg

by kdawg

Anyone know where to get the heel/toe pad kit for Vaypors in the UK - mine are getting pretty worn and I can’t find them anywhere.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

kdawg wrote:Anyone know where to get the heel/toe pad kit for Vaypors in the UK - mine are getting pretty worn and I can’t find them anywhere.
Raleigh UK are now the distributors. Try those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanyu

by alanyu

krazyeone wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 am
I need an advice

I measure Right Foot=280-282 mm and ~105 mm width

it is crazy , because if I enter 280 mm in sizing guide, it will display 45 as recommended number , and if I put 281mm they say 46 :)

Can you please recomand what size for what model should I go?
Bont Vaypor S or Vaypor+ ?

I think I have medium arch

Thank you
My feet are 249/250 and my helix is 41/255. Although 40.5 is 250 which seems to fit better, actually the sockets need space and usually the foot can become a bit larger during the ride. What's more, it's easier to mold down than to mold up. Now I'm very satisfied with the size and the toebox, fitting well with my foot shape.

If money is not a problem, get a pair of vaypor+ 2016.

TonyM

by TonyM

alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm
\
If money is not a problem, get a pair of vaypor+ 2016.
I personnaly don't see the Vaypor+ 2016 as better than the Vaypor S as the main difference between the Vaypor S and the Vaypor+ 2016 is that the Vaypor+ 2016 is out of kangaroo leather. If wet the leather doesn't dry as good and I don't see the need of some "kangaroo" leather (I am not even vegan).

If money is not a problem I would rather have 2 pairs of Vaypor S in different colors and 1 x Vaypor S and 1 x Helix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com