Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:08 am
Received my new pair of Asian fit Bont today. While this is my 3rd pair of Bont. This is the first time I notice something.

I don't know why Bont put full information of the shoes (size and width ) on the insole as a sticker rather than a proper label on non removable part of the shoe somewhere. Everyone is going to throw away the insole and then there is nowhere else say this shoe is Asian fit anymore.

Aside from this: how'd they fit?! I have two Asian fits on order and have only tried reg fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Pretty nice. Everything else fit right out of the box except at my big toe. I personally want a little more space at the big toe because I like to move my toe in and out to relax after some long ride. But don't need to change anywhere else on the shoes so I used heat gun to localized adjust that area only.

chris1234

by chris1234

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:08 am
Received my new pair of Asian fit Bont today. While this is my 3rd pair of Bont. This is the first time I notice something.

I don't know why Bont put full information of the shoes (size and width ) on the insole as a sticker rather than a proper label on non removable part of the shoe somewhere. Everyone is going to throw away the insole and then there is nowhere else say this shoe is Asian fit anymore.
There should be a label under the tongue of the shoe however not sure if this indicates it is wide or Asian fit etc.

I have had a similar problem in the past week. Ordered an Asian Fit, shoe box said Wide ("43W"), and label under the tongue just showed "43".

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Checked back at my older pairs.
Vaypor S doesn't have a tongue label.
Riot MTB has a tongue label.
and my latest road pair, Helix doesn't have a tongue label.

All of them have a white hand writing "7" indicating the size 40.5 (size 7) on the carbon floor. The only place saying it's asian fit is the insole sticker.

chris1234

by chris1234

According to Bont:

Note wide and Asian fit are the SAME in the Riot series and therefore you have received the correct shoe.

In the Riot+ series, wide and Asian fit are the same shoe. We have been able to create a last that serves both markets equally in the riot series however, we offer the two options as a way to keep the cohesion with the higher end models.

harblhat

by harblhat

Got an update for my shoes ordered on Black Friday. Expected to finish production 10 March...

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@Hexsense - what is the arch support like? I've been debating it but previously the arch support of (regular) Bonts have been too high (even when using low insoles like Spesh red).

Is the arch area completely flat/neutral? Does a aftermarket insole like Spesh (or G8) fit like you'd expect with 'normal' shoes? Or does the flatness of the arch just leave a void in the bathtub/shoe, which the upper of a 'normal' shoe would traditionally fill?

P.S. I suspect if Bont were to print the info permanently onto the shoe that would add an extra step in their production. Sticker is quicker ;)

TIA :)

EDIT: removed a redundant Q.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

milanv

by milanv

istigatrice wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:58 am
@Hexsense - what is the arch support like? I've been debating it but previously the arch support of (regular) Bonts have been too high (even when using low insoles like Spesh red).

Is the arch area completely flat/neutral? Does a aftermarket insole like Spesh (or G8) fit like you'd expect with 'normal' shoes? Or does the flatness of the arch just leave a void in the bathtub/shoe, which the upper of a 'normal' shoe would traditionally fill?

P.S. I suspect if Bont were to print the info permanently onto the shoe that would add an extra step in their production. Sticker is quicker ;)

TIA :)

EDIT: removed a redundant Q.
It is flat and I have Solestar insoles inside to give me necessary arch support.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks Milanv. Just to check, what model did you have? Thanks!

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Bont Helix Asian fit's arch is really flat.
Either the arch support is really mild or it's non existence.
The volume of this Helix Asian fit is lower than my (really old) Vaypor S wide fit. It seems Asian fit is just wider toe area without more volume than standard width. Or maybe it's less volume because this is Helix vs Vaypor S, I don't know.

Another nore: I really like that I can order my size 40.5, 4 holes (speed play sole) and Asian fit spec in a pair of shoe and it's still doesn't count as semi custom. I paid regular black Friday price for my very specific specifications.
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

milanv

by milanv

istigatrice wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:33 am
Ergon IP3 in cooperation with Solestar.
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/article-ip3.html

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Bont shoes have the most flattest food bed of most cycling shoes. This provides you a neutral platform to start with and add any type of cycling insole you require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

milanv wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:38 am
istigatrice wrote:
Meant what model of shoe you had :beerchug:

Heard that Riot models don't "technically" have an asian fit (as it's just wide fit) so wanted to check if you had Riot or Vaypor/Helix

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:32 am
Bont Helix Asian fit's arch is really flat.
Either the arch support is really mild or it's non existence.
The volume of this Helix Asian fit is lower than my (really old) Vaypor S wide fit. It seems Asian fit is just wider toe area without more volume...
Good info, Thanks! Tempted to get a set of Vaypor T now! Always struggled with volume, and arch in shoes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

istigatrice wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:32 pm
milanv wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:38 am
istigatrice wrote:
Meant what model of shoe you had :beerchug:

Heard that Riot models don't "technically" have an asian fit (as it's just wide fit) so wanted to check if you had Riot or Vaypor/Helix
Yeah :) Riot+ only for indoor riding.