Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Boozzz wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Looking at getting some Bonts as well. Currently ride Specialized S-Works Sub6 shoes, size 47. They seemed alright at the beginning, but they've turned out to be pretty unconfortable during and after longer rides. The back of the shoe is great, but they're too narrow at the front, especially around the outside of the ball of my foot, where my bone protrudes a bit. It also crushes the top of my big toe and second smallest toe somewhat. Have tried on lots of higher end shoes, but none have been great (Gaerne, Giro, Spiuk, Mavic, all too narrow, Diadora too wide at the back, Northwave just poor fitting overall). So now looking at a pair of Bonts. The fact they're shaped more like a foot, and they're heat moldable gives me hope.

Just wondering what to get, as nowhere around here they're being stocked. Bont's size calculator recommends a 46.5 wide for me. My left foot measures 288 x 114 mm, right is shorter at 278. However, my big toe really is pretty big and sits a bit further out, so have always needed size 47 in cycling shoes. The Vaypor S is a bit expensive for my taste, but the Riot+ does not come in a wide version. Could order some sizes in of course, but for the environment's sake I thought I'd ask here first :) Would you reckon I could get away with the Riot+ in 46,5? Or perhaps even the regular Vaypor S, since I can get that for a lot less than the wide version? How does Bont measure their width, where the foot contacts the sole, or a bit higher? Also wondering if the Riot+ would be a big step down in terms of stiffness compared to the S-Works? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Look at Lake and Shimano. Some reviews of the Bont Riot+ indicated they're a bit harsh due to the fiber-glass layer.
2016 Diverge Expert

sungod

by sungod

^^^ i'd second this

i've got a couple of pairs of vaypor s, and a pair of riot+ i use for commute, the riot+ outer is far less supple, i'd also say it is slightly smaller even though both use the same size chart

rather than the wizard, use the size chart, be careful to measure exactly as shown, and try measuring at different times of day as foot size varies, once you have got the max size of your feet, add 5mm to the length measurement to allow for socks etc., maybe a bit more if you are right at the upper measurement for a size

with the vaypor s you can certainly add a few mm forefoot width by careful moulding, not sure that is possible with the riot+

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boozzz

by Boozzz

Cheers guys. I reckon the Riot+ does not have a mouldable heelcup either right, while the Vaypor S does? I might take a gamble on the regular Vaypor S in 46,5.

Boozzz

by Boozzz

Ordered both the Vaypor S and just to be sure the Riot+ as well. Riot+ didn't fit well, 46 too small, 47 upper really not form fitting. Vaypor S fits better (47), but slightly too narrow, can feel the edges of the sole below my foot, and gives me the same sort of squeezed/pressure feeling as my s-works. Doubt any heat molding will really remedy this.

So, S-Phyre wide maybe then, or indeed the Lakes.

sungod

by sungod

Boozzz wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Ordered both the Vaypor S and just to be sure the Riot+ as well. Riot+ didn't fit well, 46 too small, 47 upper really not form fitting. Vaypor S fits better (47), but slightly too narrow, can feel the edges of the sole below my foot, and gives me the same sort of squeezed/pressure feeling as my s-works. Doubt any heat molding will really remedy this.

So, S-Phyre wide maybe then, or indeed the Lakes.
i've got vaypor s in normal and in wide, moulding normal to wider was ok though it took effort, but the wide version was fine out of the box, just needed to do the heel, if you can find someone stocking your size in wide it's worth a try

sun

by sun

I recently picked up some Bont Helix in 42 wide. Out of the box, they feel okay, and I'm not sure I need to heat mold them. I'm coming from the S-Works 6 and the heel cup was a bit tighter. I have a flatish arch, but it doesn't seem to both me with the stock insoles. Are there any strategies to identifying your metatarsals so you can line up the pedal axle? There is carbon on both sides, so it's a bit diffiuclt to line up. Also, does anyone use any type of protectant spray (such as Scotchguard) so they stay clean?

Wheever

by Wheever

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a pair of the Vaypor S, but the shop where I have credit says they can't get wide widths. I usually wear a 44 wide shoe, but going by Bont's chart the 44 regular is pretty close. (Left foot is 268x 107; Right foot is 270x 108).

So my question is, how much width can you get out of molding the shoes? Meaning, can I mold the shoes out enough to make room for my my foot wearing a moderately cushioned sock? (I don't like thin socks.) I think I'd need a 110 width on the right foot or more. Has anyone *really* molded the tub out 3-4 mm in width?

The alternative might be to go up a half size, but I think that's going to be too long.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

sungod

by sungod

i've got a few extra mm in the forefoot area with the vaypor s, it's certainly doable but takes effort as you are working on a small area, i used a heatgun

the length on the bont size chart is actual length, there's no extra, if your foot length is at/near the length on the chart bear in mind you still need to add a few mm to your measured length to allow for socks, this may mean a half-size up is a better bet

if it's easy/free to do a return, order both and see which feels better to start with

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive got a set of custom Bont Vapor S because I basically have no width to my foot (A width) I was fit with a sock on I normally ride with.. If I change from that sock, I can totally feel the difference and my foot will swim a little... the heatgun def does work for fit.. even after the custom fit we heat gunned mine to make em even better... For cyclocross I picked up some S Phyre MTB shoes and was surprised at how narrow fitting they are.. almost as comfortable as my Bonts!

TonyM

by TonyM

And don't forget that in the summer the feet are usually inflating a little bit.....

Wheever

by Wheever

sungod wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 pm
i've got a few extra mm in the forefoot area with the vaypor s, it's certainly doable but takes effort as you are working on a small area, i used a heatgun

the length on the bont size chart is actual length, there's no extra, if your foot length is at/near the length on the chart bear in mind you still need to add a few mm to your measured length to allow for socks, this may mean a half-size up is a better bet

if it's easy/free to do a return, order both and see which feels better to start with
The length of the 44 should be fine. Bont has it as 275, which should give me 5mm on one foot, 7mm on the other. It's the width I'm worried about. A 44.5 would be 280, which is a lot of extra room--almost a full centimeter!

It'll be a special order, so no returns. I have an email to bont asking the same question, but don't expect to hear back til next week.

Wheever

by Wheever

Just heard back from Bont customer support. They said they thought the 44.5 regular would work well for me, and the extra length would be fine, and could be molded out the mm I need in width!

I've now measured my feet about 50 times, lol, and my numbers keep changing based upon time of day. Also measured with thicker socks. My maximum numbers are within the moldablity of the 44.5! Only the left foot will need a little push out at the big toe knuckle.

I'm really looking forward to not having my feet squeezed in at the toes. I'll keep you guys posted about how it goes!

[EDIT: ORDERED! They only had my size in white. The distributor wouldn't be getting more for 8-12 weeks. I bought them in white. I hate white. I can always use a leather dye, right? :noidea: ]

lewolive

by lewolive

sun wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm
I recently picked up some Bont Helix in 42 wide. Out of the box, they feel okay, and I'm not sure I need to heat mold them. I'm coming from the S-Works 6 and the heel cup was a bit tighter. I have a flatish arch, but it doesn't seem to both me with the stock insoles. Are there any strategies to identifying your metatarsals so you can line up the pedal axle? There is carbon on both sides, so it's a bit diffiuclt to line up. Also, does anyone use any type of protectant spray (such as Scotchguard) so they stay clean?
I have been riding Helix for a few months now. I alternate wet and dry rides, sometimes using shoe covers. Shoe covers polish and clean shoes very well during the ride and shoes look like very nice. I don't know if it's recommended to use a spray, but Bont leather/raw material is quality.

dak

by dak

Wheever wrote:Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a pair of the Vaypor S, but the shop where I have credit says they can't get wide widths. I usually wear a 44 wide shoe, but going by Bont's chart the 44 regular is pretty close. (Left foot is 268x 107; Right foot is 270x 108).

So my question is, how much width can you get out of molding the shoes? Meaning, can I mold the shoes out enough to make room for my my foot wearing a moderately cushioned sock? (I don't like thin socks.) I think I'd need a 110 width on the right foot or more. Has anyone *really* molded the tub out 3-4 mm in width?

The alternative might be to go up a half size, but I think that's going to be too long.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Don’t go longer. I tried and it did not fix the width issues I was having. I am a 44 wide on my vapor s and had tried a 44 1/2. My foot is actually a little bit longer than yours and the 44 1/2 was too long and still not wide enough. The 44 wide was good but still needed 3 molding sessions to be perfect. The shoes are not worth getting in the wrong size. When they’re right they fit amazing but when they’re wrong they just don’t work. For what it’s worth I also tried a 44 regular and really stretched it out to try and get it to fit but was never able to get it wide enough to stop the numbness in my pinky toe.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

Wheever

by Wheever

dak wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm
Don’t go longer. I tried and it did not fix the width issues I was having. I am a 44 wide on my vapor s and had tried a 44 1/2. My foot is actually a little bit longer than yours and the 44 1/2 was too long and still not wide enough. The 44 wide was good but still needed 3 molding sessions to be perfect. The shoes are not worth getting in the wrong size. When they’re right they fit amazing but when they’re wrong they just don’t work. For what it’s worth I also tried a 44 regular and really stretched it out to try and get it to fit but was never able to get it wide enough to stop the numbness in my pinky toe.
hmm. Too late now! But, As I said, I measured my foot a million times, at different times of the day, etc, and a 44 wide was going to be close on my right foot in length with socks on at the end of a ride. (it measured 275 exactly, with sock, at time of the largest measurement.) The 44.5 regular was only going to be close in width on my left foot, and only by a mm or so. Bont support said the 44.5 was a better fit for me than the 44w. I guess we'll find out next week. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com