Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

Any news on an updated shoe from Bont? I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old vaypor S and like looks liek all the manufactureers just dropped new shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

cajer wrote:Any news on an updated shoe from Bont? I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old vaypor S and like looks liek all the manufactureers just dropped new shoes.
Not what you think. Entry level new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cajer

by cajer

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:43 am
cajer wrote:Any news on an updated shoe from Bont? I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old vaypor S and like looks liek all the manufactureers just dropped new shoes.
Not what you think. Entry level new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang... I was gonna go custom so I wanted the latest and greatest. Guess I'll just have to go Zero +

boots2000

by boots2000

I just recieved some "double wide" Bonts for a customer. They are REALLY wide! ;)

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Do I really need to make any adjustments to my seat height when going from S-works 7s to Vaypor S?

Bont website says Vaypor S has a stack height of 3.6mm and S-works 7s at 5mm. 1.5mm difference seems small so maybe inserting spacers on Bont shoes would do the job? Any other fitting suggestions? I like both shoes and and don't wanna mess with my bike fit everytime I wear a different shoe. Thank you
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

jlok

by jlok

I haven't touched saddle height and I often switch between the 7 and Bont. No problem.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Hexsense

by Hexsense

if your cleat is set a little more forward or backward (or how your foot sits in the shoe), that can already absorb the 1.5mm stack height difference.

Actually, my thinnest pair of bibshort vs the thickest is nearly 5mm different in the thickness.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

jlok wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 pm
I haven't touched saddle height and I often switch between the 7 and Bont. No problem.
Thanks, good to know.
Hexsense wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:37 pm
if your cleat is set a little more forward or backward (or how your foot sits in the shoe), that can already absorb the 1.5mm stack height difference.

Actually, my thinnest pair of bibshort vs the thickest is nearly 5mm different in the thickness.
That was my thinking too but wanted to make sure.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

tepextate

by tepextate

Hey y'all,

I have a tailor's bunion forming and it's been driving me nuts! I went to a podiatrist, who recommended switching to a pair of shoes that are wider in the forefoot (and more squared off) than the S-Works 7s that I'm currently rocking. Additionally, my podiatrist said that my tailor's bunion could be caused by improper arch support, and recommended adding an insole with more support.

I recently tried on a pair of Lake CX238 and while they were wide enough in the forefoot, they were super loose at the heel.

Enter the Bont Asian fit, which are described as: "wider in the forefoot area compared to standard width and features a narrower heel cup along with flatter instep/arch." All of these seem to meet the criteria that I need, except for the flatter instep/arch. Does this mean there's less arch support?

Sorry for all the feet talk, but figure this would be the thread for it. Appreciate you reading this wall of text. :)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yes, the carbon sole is flatter. However, arch support should come from your insole, not the carbon plate.
Carbon plate is hard to heat mold and make it shape right, while G8, Giro Supernatural, Lintaman insoles are easily adjustable to fit your feet.
The original insole should be changed out, as it have little to no arch support and only work best for people with flat feet anyway. So, just get better insoles.

tepextate

by tepextate

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Yes, the carbon sole is flatter. However, arch support should come from your insole, not the carbon plate.
Carbon plate is hard to heat mold and make it shape right, while G8, Giro Supernatural, Lintaman insoles are easily adjustable to fit your feet.
The original insole should be changed out, as it have little to no arch support and only work best for people with flat feet anyway. So, just get better insoles.
Got it. Thanks, Hexsense!

I guess the assumption they're making is that Asian people (like myself) generally have flatter feet, and thus need less arch support? Or is the idea that most people should be putting in their own aftermarket insole, anyway?

In terms of sizing, if I'm going to put in an insole with more arch support, any thoughts on if I should be ordering up a size (or two) to accommodate the extra volume?

jlok

by jlok

Many Bont users found the insole lacking. The carbon bathtub does have a Lil bit of arch support built in.

And Asian fit... it's just a name. Every person is different.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

mr2scott

by mr2scott

I've tried to like bont shoes but I have given up. They are way too wide and the arch is far too tall, I can not even smash it down far enough heat moulding. I wish they worked.

I'm kind of surprised more people do not find them way too wide, and the edge of that arch can hurt.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

mr2scott wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 am
I've tried to like bont shoes but I have given up. They are way too wide and the arch is far too tall, I can not even smash it down far enough heat moulding. I wish they worked.

I'm kind of surprised more people do not find them way too wide, and the edge of that arch can hurt.
People have different feet. You may find you're in a minority! Bont were too narrow (in a wide fit), with too little forefoot volume for me and the arch too flat. We are all different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Exactly, these shoes are great, if you can make them fit to your shape of foot.
And you can have a really bad time if that is not the case, since the bathtub construction does not allow for any foot expansion during riding.

I fear that these shoes are not as "adaptable" as Bont may want us to believe.
Heat moulding can only compensate for minor fit issues, if they are not 95% "perfect" when you first place you foot into them, just forget about it.