Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pastronef

by pastronef

arbitrage wrote:I managed to make more room for my middle toes by compressing the toe box vertically. As in pushing down right on the edge of the rubber bumper to make the area less tall but longer.

The issue was length, not height, so it ended up working. I got nowhere trying to punch the toe box out in a forward direction because the sole is just too stiff, even when heated.

I hope that makes sense!

thank you, you compressed the toe box while heated?

arbitrage

by arbitrage

Exactly. Cooked them in the oven, hit the toe box with a heat gun, then squeezed with my hands (in gloves).

The glue that holds the rubber bumper gets soft, but everything came out okay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

pastronef wrote:Any of you missed the right size even with Bont size scheme?

Yes, Bont doesn't allow for people who have long middle toes. I would be easy to do, but they don't. You need to get a bigger size in that case.

BTW if anyone is having trouble getting their shoes to mold... I accidentally overheated my right shoe in the oven (225F, measured with an IR thermometer). The smell from outgassing glue and plastic alerted me that something was wrong. I was worried that I might have ruined it, but it appears to be just what it needed. It was much more pliable and molded beautifully with no apparent ill effects so far (I've ridden it a few times). YMMV.
formerly rruff...

pastronef

by pastronef

WMW wrote:
pastronef wrote:Any of you missed the right size even with Bont size scheme?

Yes, Bont doesn't allow for people who have long middle toes. I would be easy to do, but they don't. You need to get a bigger size in that case.

yep, I'll go for 1 size more, so now I must sell my new 44 (10)

g32ecs

by g32ecs

anyone tried the Riots?

teddyuk

by teddyuk

Hi there. I am using Specilized BG Comp road shoes in size 41. I have the possibility to buy Bont with a good discount. Shall I order 41?

Thanks

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I would go at least one half size larger or even a full size depending on how tight the Speci shoes are for you now. That was my experience anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

teddyuk

by teddyuk

Thanks

laleme

by laleme

yes, i am 42.5 in the 2013 sworks, and 43W in my bont zero+

Roark

by Roark

Hi weenies,

I have used 2012 S-works for the last couple of seasons and was in love with those shoes: stiff, comfy, good looking, easy to clean... Wonderful. Too bad I had a crack in the carbon sole, and Specialized were kind enough to honour the warranty and gave me a new par of the 2013 version. The new ones were a bit narrower and the toe box was shallower, so they clearly did not fit.

Do you reckon that tne new Vaypor+ could work for me, considering that my 11 US S-works were the *perfect* for my feet?

Regards

Fiery

by Fiery

g32ecs wrote:anyone tried the Riots?

I'm running a pair.

I'm coming from Shimano shoes, size 44, which fit me very well if ever so slightly narrow when using after market insoles (they to take more volume than original ones). My feet are low volume but relatively wide; they are around average in the ball of the foot area, but my toes splay outward when I stand, so they really don't fit well into Italian-style shoes.

I got Riots in size 44, after a lot of measuring and deliberation. They are wider than Shimano in the front, but hold the heels better. I find them comfortably roomy without being loose - my feet don't move around, but I can wiggle my toes. Heel cups are interesting: due to the high stiffness of the soles, it feels like the heels are not very secure when walking around, but once I'm clipped in there's simply no moving around or any feeling of sloppiness whatsoever. This might come as no surprise to people already used to very stiff shoes, but for me it was new. Factory insoles don't work for me - even though the shoes are wide enough and the cleats are positioned slightly behind the balls of my feet, I still get hot spots that turn into numbness if I don't have some additional arch and metatarsal support. The increased thickness of after market insoles is also a benefit with Riots, as tend I run out of adjustment on the ratchet strap when using thin factory ones, due to the mentioned low volume of my feet.

Regarding heat moulding, I found that the Riots fit me very well right out of the box so no moulding was actually necessary. I did do a session just to try it out, but I don't think anything really changed. I noticed that even though they become pliable when heated up, they stay very elastic and have a strong tendency to returning to original shape as they cool down. I would have to use considerable and consistent pressure if I wanted to noticeably change the shape on any particular spot.

When it comes to overall build quality, I can echo what has already been written about these shoes in most reviews I've seen. The finish is not perfect, they look hand-made and somewhat rough around the edges. The ratchet mechanism also feels a bit flimsy, but, just like the rest of the shoes, it proved to be perfectly functional so far.

Overall, I like the shoes, but I was not blown away. The price is right for what they offer and I will gladly wear them out, but next time I'll try something else.

esfrost

by esfrost

Thinking about getting a pair of Bont A-Threes. Anyone managed to register in the webshop? I want to use a different billing address to my delivery address... At the end of the checkout it directs me to paypal, where i can only use one address, the delivery address. Anyone?

Pworld925

by Pworld925

Are the 2013 Zero's (grey with lacing) still available for sale anywhere, particularly in the US?

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

http://www.merlincycles.com/bont-zero-r ... 61399.html

Only place I could find everyone else seem to have cleared them out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pworld925

by Pworld925

Lucas1234 wrote:http://www.merlincycles.com/bont-zero-road-shoe-silver-61399.html

Only place I could find everyone else seem to have cleared them out.

thats unfortunate. Guess i'll try the new shoe with ATOP