Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stevesbike

by stevesbike

stevesbike wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Hapsmo911 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:35 am
I got a pair of Vaypor S and the heal is super loose. I cant even feel the heal touching the shoe. I molded a couple times but this is a super tough area to mold it seems thhe carbon is thick. Anyone ese have the same type of issue that can offer hope? I really lie them otherwisw.
I had the same issue and solved it by gluing a piece of handlebar tape to the heel. Bit of a hack, but it works well and has stayed in place for a long time (super glue). I also notice a lot of people use the stock Bont insole. Good that it works for them, but I read an interview with the owner that the stock insole is so basic because he assumes riders will replace it. I rode with a domestic pro team (UHC) a few years ago - they were sponsored by Bont and confirmed that the first thing they did was replace the footbed. I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Bonts - they can be great (I raced Belgian Waffle Ride on them which was like 9 hours) but small pains can amplify over time since they are so stiff and only conform to foot shape to the extent the molding works for you (I've never noticed much difference after molding).
bont.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efixler

by efixler

stevesbike wrote:I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit.

bont.jpg
Did you like the Solestars with the Bonts? I’d imagine that that combo would be verrrrry stiff.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

stevesbike wrote:
Hapsmo911 wrote:
I got a pair of Vaypor S and the heal is super loose. I cant even feel the heal touching the shoe. I molded a couple times but this is a super tough area to mold it seems thhe carbon is thick. Anyone ese have the same type of issue that can offer hope? I really lie them otherwisw.
I had the same issue and solved it by gluing a piece of handlebar tape to the heel. Bit of a hack, but it works well and has stayed in place for a long time (super glue). I also notice a lot of people use the stock Bont insole. Good that it works for them, but I read an interview with the owner that the stock insole is so basic because he assumes riders will replace it. I rode with a domestic pro team (UHC) a few years ago - they were sponsored by Bont and confirmed that the first thing they did was replace the footbed. I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit.

bont.jpg
I will try the bartape nothing to lose. I have G8 insoles with the heel wedge. They help a little but not enough

bas

by bas

Weird, mine grip so well they are hard to take off, I could ride them without tightening to be honest.
You need to heat way more than they recommend, I do 100 Celsius for about 10 minutes then you can really mould them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevesbike

by stevesbike

efixler wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:43 am
stevesbike wrote:I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit.

bont.jpg
Did you like the Solestars with the Bonts? I’d imagine that that combo would be verrrrry stiff.
The Solestar/Bont combo was a bit of a test to see what could be the stiffest combination - it was great for the track but not so much for really long rides!

stevesbike

by stevesbike

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 am
stevesbike wrote:
Hapsmo911 wrote:
I had the same issue and solved it by gluing a piece of handlebar tape to the heel. Bit of a hack, but it works well and has stayed in place for a long time (super glue). I also notice a lot of people use the stock Bont insole. Good that it works for them, but I read an interview with the owner that the stock insole is so basic because he assumes riders will replace it. I rode with a domestic pro team (UHC) a few years ago - they were sponsored by Bont and confirmed that the first thing they did was replace the footbed. I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit.

bont.jpg
I will try the bartape nothing to lose. I have G8 insoles with the heel wedge. They help a little but not enough
One thing I notice with the G8 insoles is that they tend to lift the heel a bit since they are thicker in the heel section that many other insoles. Something like the Scott or a specialized insole might lower your heel and help with retention.

efixler

by efixler

stevesbike wrote:
efixler wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:43 am

bont.jpg
The Solestar/Bont combo was a bit of a test to see what could be the stiffest combination - it was great for the track but not so much for really long rides!
Interesting. Thanks!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

bas wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:39 am
You need to heat way more than they recommend, I do 100 Celsius for about 10 minutes then you can really mould them
Which may explain why I have never had much luck heat moulding mine.......
BB

Coffee & carbon

easyv

by easyv

Love my current combination of Bont Vaypor S and Icebug Slim insoles with medium arch support:

https://icebug.com/icebuginsoles

The "metatarsal button" as they call it took a little getting use to (it's this cushioning device that Icebug places right at the ball of your foot which feels like you have a lump under your foot initially everytime you put on the shoes) but that aside, has proven to be much more supportive than the stock rubbery foam footbed Bont provides and doesn't add substantial height to the heel.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 pm
Hapsmo911 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 am
stevesbike wrote:
Hapsmo911 wrote:
I had the same issue and solved it by gluing a piece of handlebar tape to the heel. Bit of a hack, but it works well and has stayed in place for a long time (super glue). I also notice a lot of people use the stock Bont insole. Good that it works for them, but I read an interview with the owner that the stock insole is so basic because he assumes riders will replace it. I rode with a domestic pro team (UHC) a few years ago - they were sponsored by Bont and confirmed that the first thing they did was replace the footbed. I've used both Solestar and Scott footbeds and find they also help snug up the fit. I included some pics of how I heated them.

bont.jpg
One thing I notice with the G8 insoles is that they tend to lift the heel a bit since they are thicker in the heel section that many other insoles. Something like the Scott or a specialized insole might lower your heel and help with retention.

Thanks for the help. It made me revisit messing with these shoes. I was all set on putting the tape in then I decided to heat them again. This time I used a hair dryer. Worked AMAZING. I got the shoes to fit like a glove all the way around, including the heal. IMO when you heat these in the over you can get the bottoms of the shoes worked out as they describe on the website. I needed to do this with mine on the right foot for the big toe, I had a small corn that hurt just to touch after a while in the bonts. I couldnt get that spot fixed even after a TON of moulding that area. I knew there was enough space but the area was so sensitive it just wasnt going to work. With my Sworks 7's the toe box has so much volume and the sides are pliable it wasnt an issue. I allmost gave up on these shoes then aswell. What fixed that was I went and got corn removers (I did talk to my doctor). After doing that I found the center of the corn was hollow and after it healed I had 0 pain. So I was gtg on the toe box. I thought I would heat just the heal with the hairdryer and smash the crap out of it with my palms. That worked in just a few minutes, so I noticed the rear of the shoe still had space and wasnt quit right. I felt the shoe where it had no contact with my foot and used the hairdyer to heat each little spot and curve the top of the edges of the shoe inward. Kinda rolled them over and pushed them in slightly where I felt space in the shoe. This transformed these shoes 100% Not sure if this would work for everyones feet. Mine are shallow and the top edge of the carbon was well above the bottom edge of my foot. But moulding the sides and edges conformed the upper portion of the carbon to my foot. Now they kinda pop off when I remove thm, in a good way. I dont need to tighten them as I had before either. Word of caution for anyone that may try this. The hairdyer is way hotter than the oven so be super carefull. It takes way less time to get them hot enough, less than 5 minutes for me. Sorry for the long post but I am stocked and maybe help someone who likes the shoes and spent good money and is frustrated like I was.
Attachments
20210101_150613.jpg
20210101_153435.jpg
20210101_163533.jpg

brentvelo

by brentvelo

I mean if you have to work THAT hard and basically melt the shoes to make them fit, then they really don't fit well at all.

efixler

by efixler

Well, if he’s happy, why take that away :)

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

brentvelo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:35 am
I mean if you have to work THAT hard and basically melt the shoes to make them fit, then they really don't fit well at all.
It wasnt THAT hard to watch tv with a hair dryer on. I made them "fit" like a glove. But thanks for the input.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

My custom Bonts (narrow) finally arrived. The fit is way way better than my S-Works 7s and I really like the dials. There are a few areas that can be improved (stitching inside the shoes) but those are really not a dealbreaker. I wear size 46.5 or 47 in SL7 and Bonts in 48 fit perfectly.

I am also digging the leather (whatever material that is). I picked the white color and realized my white Rapha socks are not really white anymore haha. I am open to new socks ideas for my long legs.

Overall I'm glad I took the risk during the Black Friday sale and ordered these instead of the regular fit shoes. I cannot wait to test these out on the road.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ringo

by Ringo

I have my vapor s a couple years.
Now that I don’t care if they destroyed, I would try to mold them again.
Following the instructions but I had no luck when I bought them.
I bought an extra thermometer in order to dial the right temperature but I agree that they need more than the suggested degrees
XXTi
C60