Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ronin416

by Ronin416

StevieB wrote:
TribesMan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:46 am
Just refer to official Bont sizing guide.

But I would always go wider with Bont, as you can mould them to be narrower quite easily, but they do not expand a lot.
+1 to this, and with the bathtub shape of Bont's soles it's much more important than with other shoes. When you measure your foot size per Bont's guide, be sure to A) put ALL of your weight on the foot you're measuring, and B) if you're within 2-3 MM of the wide, then go with the wide. You'll be glad you did!

SB
Like Steve says, put pressure on your foot while tracing. Probably easier to get someone to trace for you while you’re applying pedal force pressure. Also trace after being on your feet all day.

The sizing wizard or chart will be accurate if you’re tracings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Alright, I bought size 45 regular width since I found some easily returnable. They will be going back regardless due to colour, and because Bont updated the boa dials on vaypor S. So won’t be molding these.

Anyway, they fit okay in length and width but with a few pressure points due to not being molded.

Feet: about 275mm x 105mm
Second toe longer
Bunions
Low arches
Call it 276mm in length, 44.5 would be too small.
Width may be wider since hard to measure with bunions.

I had vaypor+ in the past so am familiar with molding, but I believe those were too small in 44.5. Sizing may have changed. The arch was too tall and hurt in those a bit too.

The arch hurts on the vaypor S in 45. The outer on the left also hurts. Surprisingly the bunions don’t hurt.

So wondering if Asian fit may be the way to go?

Also considering semi custom, wide, and full custom. But for price would rather not do semi or full.

Like others said, wide may be the way to go, and squeeze it in versus trying to expand it out. Asian may be better since low arch, and regular heels.

See pics.

Thanks.
Attachments
43D5E949-4DB9-45EA-8464-74F1CFAB13AF.jpeg
35658A7D-D24F-4F50-BA03-9B232D396C62.jpeg
CBEA82D2-817A-45F8-B795-E3BCEE984AFF.jpeg
C718F723-9732-47AC-AA4E-91F140586A87.jpeg

harblhat

by harblhat

The Vaypor S have been updated with Li2 dials and stainless cleat nuts. There don't seem to be any other changes described. The dials very likely can't be retrofitted to older shoes because the BOA base plate looks entirely different.

https://shop.bontcycling.com/collection ... or-s-black

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Hi all, I scooped up some Bont Riot+ shoes during their black friday sale. They seem great and my forefoot pain present on my giro empires is gone.

I had some pretty severe knee pain initially which I eventually realized was due to replacing the factory insoles with the Giro ones from the empires. With the high arch support installed, I think I threw my knees out of alignment due to too much arch support. I found I was running my cleats all the way heel-in to compensate. I replaced the factory insoles and now things are good again. Weird that they were perfect in the giros but caused me pain in the bonts.

Anyways, I am looking to replace the factory insoles (which are really thin) with something that has more moderate arch support. I have mid-hi rigid arches and am looking at either the sole performance or icebug slims. I'm wondering if the pain caused by the giro insoles was due to their design, which is relatively flat vs. "hollow" under the arch. Has anybody used either of these insoles? Are they "compatible" with the bonts? Any other suggestions for insoles? I want to avoid anything with "supports" under the arch as the Riot already seems to have some built-in curvature there.

milanv

by milanv

SandwichNP wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm
Hi all, I scooped up some Bont Riot+ shoes during their black friday sale. They seem great and my forefoot pain present on my giro empires is gone.

I had some pretty severe knee pain initially which I eventually realized was due to replacing the factory insoles with the Giro ones from the empires. With the high arch support installed, I think I threw my knees out of alignment due to too much arch support. I found I was running my cleats all the way heel-in to compensate. I replaced the factory insoles and now things are good again. Weird that they were perfect in the giros but caused me pain in the bonts.

Anyways, I am looking to replace the factory insoles (which are really thin) with something that has more moderate arch support. I have mid-hi rigid arches and am looking at either the sole performance or icebug slims. I'm wondering if the pain caused by the giro insoles was due to their design, which is relatively flat vs. "hollow" under the arch. Has anybody used either of these insoles? Are they "compatible" with the bonts? Any other suggestions for insoles? I want to avoid anything with "supports" under the arch as the Riot already seems to have some built-in curvature there.
I had the same problems with Riot+ on trainer.
So I have tried several insoles, Ergon IP3 (Solestar cooperation) made the correct position and support without pain and hot points.👌
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/article-ip3.html
Last edited by milanv on Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My Riot MTB use Specialized BG Blue insole. It's a bit thick though.

Road shoes used to use Giro Supernatural insole. It has adjustable arch support and is thin. But for some reason, I have hot feet with it. G8 is a bit thicker but pose no issue so far.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

harblhat wrote:The Vaypor S have been updated with Li2 dials and stainless cleat nuts. There don't seem to be any other changes described. The dials very likely can't be retrofitted to older shoes because the BOA base plate looks entirely different.

https://shop.bontcycling.com/collection ... or-s-black

No go for the retrofit as the old baseplate for the BOA won’t accept the new Li2 dial.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

SandwichNP wrote:Hi all, I scooped up some Bont Riot+ shoes during their black friday sale. They seem great and my forefoot pain present on my giro empires is gone.

I recommend my customers to replace the the factory wafer thin insole. They’re just there to keep your feet off the bolts. Toss them!

Specialized and Bontrager (in conjunction with Superfeet) make some nice insoles. Though I have custom orthotics in my Bonts. The other two are great affordable options with low heel stack height to keep the heel lift to a minimum. Running or other insoles may have a bit too much heel stack built into their construction.

Bont shoes have a such a neutral flat platform I suggest either transferring what your currently using into Bonts or pick up a cycling specific one.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

woodyvalentine wrote:Alright, I bought size 45 regular width since I found some easily returnable. They will be going back regardless due to colour, and because Bont updated the boa dials on vaypor S. So won’t be molding these.

Anyway, they fit okay in length and width but with a few pressure points due to not being molded.

Feet: about 275mm x 105mm
Second toe longer
Bunions
Low arches
Call it 276mm in length, 44.5 would be too small.
Width may be wider since hard to measure with bunions.

I had vaypor+ in the past so am familiar with molding, but I believe those were too small in 44.5. Sizing may have changed. The arch was too tall and hurt in those a bit too.

The arch hurts on the vaypor S in 45. The outer on the left also hurts. Surprisingly the bunions don’t hurt.

So wondering if Asian fit may be the way to go?

Also considering semi custom, wide, and full custom. But for price would rather not do semi or full.

Like others said, wide may be the way to go, and squeeze it in versus trying to expand it out. Asian may be better since low arch, and regular heels.

See pics.

Thanks.
Semi-custom is not advantageous to your situation unless you’re going double wide. You can achieve your fit probably with a wide.

I’m surprised your bunions are accommodated with the standard width unless your feet are naturally super narrow.

DM if you’d like to discuss further.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Anyone else still have an unfulfilled order from the Black Friday sale? What’s the usual wait time?

Cheers :)
:beerchug:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Mine just shipped 2 days ago and I ordered early in the BF season.
So, they definitely have some backlog to clear.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Same here, shipped 2 days ago. Unfortunately the package has been delayed since then by FedEx.

Friend is still waiting for his order to be shipped but he ordered pretty late.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I’m waiting for my late BF order to ship too. Should be any day now I suspect. I wonder if I’ll get the Boa Li2 upgrade (Vaypor S).

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Pretty sure you will get Li2 Boas. If you ordered black color, maybe  they didn't send those emails asking if the new model is ok as it's almost identical with the old one. The white model received a slightly bigger change. 

If you ordered white color, then it's strange you didn't get an email. 

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harblhat

by harblhat

Ordered on BF and no shipment yet. I did get the Li2 upgrade in Reflex Havoc Vaypor S.