Anybody here use Campagnolo Record 10's with a DA RearDerail

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gandini

by gandini

I was riding home today on my Cycle Dynamics Ti 10-sp cassette with Record C-10 shifters and derailler and noticed something that might be relevant. I have used this shifter/derailler setup with Shimano Duraace 9sp cassette, Campy 10sp cassette and CD 10-speed cassette. The Cycle Dynamics has agressive tooth profiles like the Shimano cass. which are both much more profiled, angled and shaped than the Campy teeth (which are pretty simple actually.) I notice that the Record shifter combo over-shifts slightly with the Shim/CD cogs, but perfectly with the Campy cogs. I use a Record Ultra 10 chain. I think the Campy shifters over-shift a little on the up-shift (from 14 to 15 eg) and the chain gets caught on the next cogs teeth--momentarily until the chain settles on the intended cog.
In the end, I think Campy shifters work best in all-Campy setups, but that said, I've never stuck with such a setup!
cheers,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jahknob

by jahknob

As far as I am aware, the geometry of the Precision Billet/Pauls RD is the same as the 8/9 speed version of the Shimano DA RD (The only difference between my RD and a stock version is that mine has a custom-made short cage for road use). Not sure how geometry has changed moving on to the 10s version of the DA RD.

The essential thing seems to be that the cable travel initiated at the lever moves the RD the precise distance between two cogs. The way in which the cable is clamped can affect that, and given the increased number of sprockets being fitted into the same space, there is some degree of convergence, making mix-and-match easier.

The set-up on my bike is 2004 Record Ergo 10s levers with a 9-speed cassette (there's no more room on the cassette body for another sprocket, as mine are 9s cogs, not the latest 10s cogs, which should be thinner). It might make the shifting even better with 10s cogs... Might be worth asking Cycle Dynamics about this - they've always been very helpful when I've emailed them.

I would definitely get the DA 10s RD and the Ergo levers and experiment - I'd be very surprised if you/a decent mechanic couldn't get a very acceptable shift out of this combo. At the very worst, if it didn't work you'd take a hit by having to sell one of the components, which would still effectively be new (or near as), so you shouldn't lose much.

PS Yes, Bobalou the bike in Cycling Plus under "London Show Stars" is my bike - four years in the making. I need to get around to taking off the "real world" riding components and put the show spec parts back on (tubs, cassette, chainrings, saddle). Then, if anyone wants to see it "in the flesh" it will be spending the winter in Chas Roberts's showroom in Croydon, South London.

I recommend such a "coupled" frame unreservedly if you tend to travel by air/rail to get to where the riding is good and want the best possible riding experience when you get there. There's a bit more about the bike on which this Roberts is based at:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_rob_r1.htm

bobalou

by bobalou

jahknob wrote:
PS Yes, Bobalou the bike in Cycling Plus under "London Show Stars" is my bike - four years in the making. I need to get around to taking off the "real world" riding components and put the show spec parts back on (tubs, cassette, chainrings, saddle). Then, if anyone wants to see it "in the flesh" it will be spending the winter in Chas Roberts's showroom in Croydon, South London.

I recommend such a "coupled" frame unreservedly if you tend to travel by air/rail to get to where the riding is good and want the best possible riding experience when you get there. There's a bit more about the bike on which this Roberts is based at:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_rob_r1.htm

Well, just a small coincidence I'm sure, while on a recent trip to the UK with my S&S coupled bike (a not-so-light 9.5 kilo cromoly Fuji), picked up the cycling plus mag and saw the article on your bike. :) I'm thoroughly impressed with the weight you have that down to, especially considering the couplers AND it being a steel frame!

I can fully vouch for your opinion - it's the best way to travel with a "real" bike and also avoid the airline charge for oversized bike box. BTW, had some great rides in Kent. Next year hope to take it to the TdF.