if its zipp its fragile

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
synchronicity

by synchronicity

How about you remove the electrical tape from the bar before we draw any more conclusions, so we can see ALL the fracture surfaces...

I wonder: is that tape hiding some tell-tale surface marks caused by mounting a set of clip on bars? Strange that you removed the bar tape and left the electrical tape in place. :idea:

by Weenie

BikeTech

by BikeTech

soulrider wrote:I was out for my first raodride in awhile and as I was riding away from a stop sign I heard a mysterious crunch and my left hand became unweighted. I looked down to find my beloved ZIpp B2 carbon bars fracture under my own power. This event was even more surprising because the bike has never even fallen over let alone been involved in a crash.

Where did you buy this bar from?

A lot of grey market Zipp bars have been appearing on eBay lately...

http://www.zipp.com/Support/CounterfeitHandlebars/tabid/176/Default.aspx

I haven't studied the Zipp photos in the link versus your photos but I'm sure someone on the forum with too much time on their hands will ;)

Frankie - B

by Frankie - B

strobbekoen wrote:Shouting and BS's towards strangers on public boards are what i consider over-reacting and misplaced, not pointing it out. :wink:

Hmm, Hold your horses please. Pez seems to be onto something.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
Please follow me on Instagram

soulrider

by soulrider

So I thought I would update this thread for those that are interested. After reading this thread I was contacted by Nathan from Zipp. He saw the pictures on this site and was horrified that one of there products had failed. He has very keen to get the bar back to the engienerring department to determine the exact cause of failure. I shipped it back to Zipp and as it turns out the bar was a fake. I did purchase the bar from ebay from what I thought was a reliable seller. It failed because they cut corners and tried to make a quick dollar off of another companies good reputations (I believe the point of failure was where the large hole was not the small crack Pez pointed out). Part of being a grown up is admitting when you are wrong so consider this my formal apology to all those I upset.

I learned a few things from this experience:

1. Don't flame without all the facts.

2. Always be wary when purchasing from ebay (the seller was a power seller with lots of positive feed back so I assumed the product was genuine)

3. Don't piss of Pez.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

LOL I made mention of grey market ebay crap two posts above your latest :)

Nice to hear that Nathan took interest - he's a good bloke.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Juanmoretime wrote:With the price of many light weight parts being what they are I'm sure we will see many more fakes of products hit the market. If it seems too good to be true.......

Yes Juan, exactly. If you see an LW RD for 700 euros, it would have to be too good to be true.