if its zipp its fragile

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

jay cee

by jay cee

du du du du du inspector pez, du du du du du du duuuu.
J EURO

Cat1

by Cat1

advice for the future. Ride Alu bars. MUCH cheap and lighter. I think if you looked at protour bikes you'd find a high proportion of them on Alu. bars.

by Weenie

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

pez, how about write in normal print and keep the language friendly ?

jersievers

by jersievers

I think pez is right, not going to get much love from Zipp.
latest project <-getting lighter @ 6920 CyclingUpdate.com

rustychain

by rustychain

Cat1 wrote:advice for the future. Ride Alu bars. MUCH cheap and lighter. I think if you looked at protour bikes you'd find a high proportion of them on Alu. bars.

I remember breaking two ribs in a crash, breaking a lefty ti front fork another time and several other spills all on the same carbon bar (monkey lite) on my mountain bike. I have also crashed and been hit by a car on my road bike (syntace carbon) and no problems. IMO carbon is not the issue. I suspect that if more pros are riding aluminium bars its becouse of issues of transport (having to fit the bikes in cases) and team mechanics not being as careful as they should under insane time pressures to reassemble the bikes. I would point out that carbon steerer tubes, frames, wheels and seatposts are all subject to failing. I have seen ALL of those items fail in aluminium (heck Iv'e been riding over 30 years). My point is that anything can and will fail. Remember Hinncappies aluminium steerer tube breaking after showing off how bomb prof his carbon wheels were!
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

ProTech

by ProTech

We sell tons of Zipp bars at work. Not a single one broken yet.

The only one was a Zipp SL destroyed by one tired racer ramming the bike in his garage door (forgot the bike was on the roof rack)

I've seen few Easton, Bontrager and FSA broken and a lot of Deda(lots of those break), but no Zipp yet.

So far Zipp bars including the Syntace Racelite carbon are the most reliable carbon bars I have seen.

I think you title is undue bashing of a otherwise quality product.

It sucks your bars broke, but I am confident Zipp will take care of it if it's a warranty issue.

Might I ask . How old was the bar ?

ScienceIsCool

by ScienceIsCool

It looks pretty clear (to me anyways) that the material fractured at the point where it is swaged internally (i.e., change in material thickness). That would be a natural stress riser and a logical place for the material to fail... Carbon has no proscribed fatigue limit and therefore no easily calculated lifetime.

This is what makes it different from, say, a set of aluminum bars. A failure like this appears to be "random", while with an aluminum bar you could say that x% of bars will fail after y kilometers with a z kg rider. The initial cause could have been anything from impact damage to a void in the material to pure random luck.

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt.

John Swanson

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Good deal...

And even info more pointing to the "fragile" thing being what ever torque wrench you may have used...

The bar broke at the reinforced point right where I suspected (2) and the layers in one of these pics (4) came free in pretty much the way I would expect when something crushes a bar...

Look close and focus (as this shot was really out of focus for some reason) and you can see the crease in the bottom (3), right where the clamp pressed in and what looks pretty much like a crack accross the top leading from the face plate too (1)...

And for the record Strobbekoen, I mean no offense, I simply don't like company bashing thread titles without much validity... Honestly I think your complaint in this case is both over-reacting and misplaced, but respect your opinion.

alienator

by alienator

Pez is likely on to something here. While nothing can be said for sure without the bars in hand, the pics do raise serious questions.

There is no reason to question Zipp's QC. I can't remember reading any reports of Zipp handlebar failures, and as for their wheels, it doesn't seem as though there have been many complaints, if any, since they changed the layup on their rims.

More info is needed re: the history of this handlebar and how it was mounted.

Sure, it's possible that this could have been a JRA, but JRA's are exceedingly rare events.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

PezTech wrote:And for the record Strobbekoen, I mean no offense, I simply don't like company bashing thread titles without much validity... Honestly I think your complaint in this case is both over-reacting and misplaced, but respect your opinion.

Shouting and BS's towards strangers on public boards are what i consider over-reacting and misplaced, not pointing it out. :wink:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

alienator wrote:Sure, it's possible that this could have been a JRA, but JRA's are exceedingly rare events.

JRA's after damage was done previously (prior, perhaps well prior to the ride) are not so rare, although they are viewed as JRA's by the "victims".

alienator

by alienator

Well, to me that's not JRA. JRA means that out of the blue, with no previous damage, the darned thing just broke.....

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Sorry pez, but I disagree. Where did you study materials failure analysis?

On other threads you complain when other members speculate about bike/frame fitting when not enough information is known. And now you're pretending to know how the failure occured... drawing little arrows here there and everywhere doesn't prove you know anything about this topic. :lol:

To me, the initial point of failure looks to be right about where the "Z" of the Zipp logo is, or slightly below.

For future reference, it's not normal for fracure surfaces to double back on themselves. :wink: The hairline crack you pointed out looks more like a fracture of the glossy finish AFTER the composite failed where the big hole is. More likely failure occurred at a pretty rare defect and/or someone tried to mount clip on aerobars (that's normally where they're mounted, right?).

But give the dude the benefit of the doubt he tightened the stem bolts correctly...
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.
PETITION: Make more closely-spaced 12 speed cassette options, Campagnolo!®

by Weenie

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

alienator wrote:Well, to me that's not JRA. JRA means that out of the blue, with no previous damage, the darned thing just broke.....

My point is that it may appear to the "victim" to be a JRA, even though some predecessor event may have precipitated the "apparent" JRA.

I was actually agreeing with you, sort of.