Do every Zipp rims look dirty,bad finished?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Hello.

Here are some pictures of my rear Zipp:

This one was done with the flash,that's why it looks very dark:

As you see,it is bad finished at close range.
Are every rims like that or did I get a bad serie?
They are very expensive,they should at least make something beautiful,even at close range.The pictures are clickables.

Thanks.
Adrien.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

They look just normal. I had 11 pieces of Zipp rimas and all looked like that.

If you want nice and shiny CF-products,add more epoxy. More weight and look, nothing else.

If you want light and strong, use high pressure to put epoxy out and heat tread them right. More fiber, less epoxy= stronger.

AND remember, in most cases, using twill is not best fiber type but in most peoples eyes that is best and almoust only CF that they recognice.

And if you look some German made light weight wheels, they look bit home made also. But they are best what you can get with ANY money.

If you want best looking "cafe racer" wheels, get new Campa Boras...

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Ok thanks you.

gandini

by gandini

Your photos look like they were taken of my rims! Even down to that weird looking "blemish" in the first photo that has two lighter patches. I have exactly the same blemishes. My AC use Zipp 280 rims and they appear to be very well made, with less attention paid to cosmetics, and consequently more attention paid to performance. They are LIGHT, that's for sure.

Wait till they break--you should have long sold them by then...

cheers,

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

can they even become untrue from usual riding?

teutscher

by teutscher

ShinyBaldy wrote:can they even become untrue from usual riding?

no, full cfk-bodies, using a duroplastic matrix, can't be bent plastically untill the structur fails in some way (invisible and/or inner cracks etc) - and even then bending is most impropable at least for full gfk/cfk structures. foamcore sandwiched structures or profiles with "large" cross-sections on the other side CAN kind of bend plastically in case of failure as the foamcore still takes some loads and the hole sandwich only breaks partly, wich causes some kind of "virtual bending" (it's still only bent elastically but stays untrue for unbalanced tensions)...

to keep it short, if they rims themselves become untrue - ie free from spoke tension!!! - they are likely to be "smashed" some way :)

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

teutscher wrote:
ShinyBaldy wrote:can they even become untrue from usual riding?

no, full cfk-bodies, using a duroplastic matrix, can't be bent plastically untill the structur fails in some way (invisible and/or inner cracks etc) - and even then bending is most impropable at least for full gfk/cfk structures. foamcore sandwiched structures or profiles with "large" cross-sections on the other side CAN kind of bend plastically in case of failure as the foamcore still takes some loads and the hole sandwich only breaks partly, wich causes some kind of "virtual bending" (it's still only bent elastically but stays untrue for unbalanced tensions)...

to keep it short, if they rims themselves become untrue - ie free from spoke tension!!! - they are likely to be "smashed" some way :)

can I get a testing sample?! I'll like to test the wheels under 100,000 miles and see if they become untrue from normal riding :D

teutscher

by teutscher

ShinyBaldy wrote:...
can I get a testing sample?! I'll like to test the wheels under 100,000 miles and see if they become untrue from normal riding :D

in fact, i was talking of the rims only. sorry about that :)
nevertheless i don't have a set to give you for testing purposes - i don't have a set of these anyway...

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

teutscher wrote:
ShinyBaldy wrote:...

in fact, i was talking of the rims only. sorry about that :)
nevertheless i don't have a set to give you for testing purposes - i don't have a set of these anyway...

I'll take ANY pair of wheels for testing purposes ;)

Superlite

by Superlite

Really, want some spinergy Rev-X's? :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

Superlite wrote:Really, want some spinergy Rev-X's? :twisted:

sure!