Interesting info on Mavic LW! UPDATED with PICS!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bissell

by bissell

talk about making a beautiful set of wheels look garish and dated! mavic need to workon that colourscheme there still living in the team Once days!
black and white i say ditch that yellow

dyki

by dyki

Maybe is weird or is it me but the rim looks like corima :roll: Even the area around the valve looks the same. Some modified version of Corima Aero?

Boonen

by Boonen

Thanks for sharing those pictures spaniardclimber!
The front looks very nice and like they used the properties of the carbon spokes to make a strong wheel like in a LW/ADA wheel. I really don't see any profit in having only one side of the rear 'trueable' :noidea: The spokes aren't replaceable as they are fixed to the rim, and you even can't replace rim+spokes as the drive side spokes look like they are embedded in the hub like on the front wheel. If they made it all like the front wheel there wouldn't be any need for a trueable spoke as they just can't go out of true unless you break the rim. This way the rear nds spoke fixture to the hub just adds a weak spot in the wheel IMO.
Could it be that they made the rear tensionable to allow for slight re-dishing? I almost can't imagine it as there is no way to tension the drive side spokes but who knows. Anybody who can enlighten me?

From just looking at the specs and how they look I don't see any real benefit in these over what is offered by their closest competition. So far they are the cheapest but not by much comparing the total price. The 12k weave doesn't do much for me but that just shows that taste can't be argued on.
I can imagine them riding very nice though and having the Mavic name on them will almost certainly make these a good seller. Would be interesting to hear some ride reports and (long term) experiences.

neilwheel

by neilwheel

U_G_L_Y !!!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I'll second that!

F U G L Y ! !

Mavic sure have been making some nasty looking hoops of late. It all started with the centenery edition of the Ksyriums, all silver but for one yellow spoke. Yuck!

record

by record

I don't get the idea of trueable spokes on one side of the rear rim and all other spokes being fixed. Can anyone explain that?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

The idea of the nds truing is to be able to redish the wheel. Mavic believes the front wheel can't get out of true, but the rear wheels could

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

BdaGhisallo wrote:I'll second that!

F U G L Y ! !

Mavic sure have been making some nasty looking hoops of late. It all started with the centenery edition of the Ksyriums, all silver but for one yellow spoke. Yuck!

ah, yes, the yellow spoke of champions... oh wait that's the other company that's copying lightweight...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

jipperd
Moderator / Brake Pad Boy

by jipperd

i liked the prototype's but these :oops: the stickers are way to much and the spokes well the are... fat... if they were smaller it would be a lot nicer.. hopefully they will change a bit.

col hicks

by col hicks

look just like every other mavic wheel BORING

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

So can these be converted between Shimano and Campagnolo? Does that spoke retrueing allow the needed (?) redishing?

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

New hotness.. kinda heavy but I would ride them anyday.
Mass Weenie

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i like the big carbon weaves. would go well with a cr1. don't like the fact that spokes aren't replaceable.....if that's the case, i would go with ada or lightweight wheels. also, why is only one side of rear wheel truable and not other areas?

spookyload

by spookyload

bissell wrote:talk about making a beautiful set of wheels look garish and dated! mavic need to workon that colourscheme there still living in the team Once days!
black and white i say ditch that yellow

Mavic has been using yellow for much longer than the ONCE days. Their logo has been yellow oval for as far back as I have been riding (1984)

jersievers

by jersievers

Is that a yellow spoke of champions?
latest project <-getting lighter @ 6920 CyclingUpdate.com