Replacing an SRM battery... at home :o)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's some updated pictures along with o-ring dimensions from a PM6 and PM7:

PM6 opens from the front, graphic side. Pop a knife or screw driver into the seam:

Insides of a compact pm6:

Keep track of the orientation of the shell:

Voltage reading of the compact srm (this might be low and why my offset isn't stable):

Standard 130 on the left next to a compact on the right:

Both o-rings are 1.5mm thick:

Large o-ring OD measurement is 91mm:

Small o-ring ID measurement is 50mm:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

You are a brave brave man. Thanks for the updated photos though I enjoy following along - although I am not entirely sure I would be able to take mine apart :shock:
Just ride ..

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Where did you get your replacement batteries?

ms6073

by ms6073

Wonder when SRM went to the single battery design? We had 2017 DA 9000 SRM's which was Shimano's asymetric 110 BCD and these had two batteries like the 130 BCD pm in your images,
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RyanH

by RyanH

This is the battery that I ordered:

https://www.osibatteries.com/p-18005-ev ... thium.aspx

My understanding is that all compacts are a single battery which is why they're usually 120g spiders. Shimano must be an exception.

RyanH

by RyanH

Also, very annoyingly, I have two dead SRMs and zero functioning ones as of mid ride this morning:

ImageImageImage

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I wasn't brave enough to open mine. Sent it back and upgraded to rechargeable.

kode54

by kode54

makes sense to upgrade to rechargeable...but cost seems prohibitive.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MichaelK

by MichaelK

RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Here's some updated pictures along with o-ring dimensions from a PM6 and PM7:

PM6 opens from the front, graphic side. Pop a knife or screw driver into the seam:

Weird, my 130bcd Cannondale PM6 opens from the rear cover, via 8 flat-head screws and has only 1 battery.

ms6073

by ms6073

RyanH wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:26 am
RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Standard 130 on the left next to a compact on the right:
Also, very annoyingly, I have two dead SRMs and zero functioning ones as of mid ride this morning:
Back when I owned SRM's, after replacing batteries but before reinstalling the cover, I would turn on my Garmin and run a magnet across the SRM cadense sensor to ensure everything worked. Also, from my experience chaning batteries on 4-6 SRMs over a ~10-year period, the leads on the batteries required a hot soldering iron, otherwise you could end up with bad/cold solder joints. Does the single battery SRM have the same white micro connector as the 130 BCD SRM as that connector can get partially seated and cause intermittent power issues.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

MichaelK wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Weird, my 130bcd Cannondale PM6 opens from the rear cover, via 8 flat-head screws and has only 1 battery.
The 110 BCD Hollowgram SRM's I used to own had the cover on the rear as well but had two batteries. I am guessing SRM found a better battery option to improve the design and save weight of a second battery.
- Michael

MichaelK

by MichaelK

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm
MichaelK wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:25 pm
The 110 BCD Hollowgram SRM's I used to own had the cover on the rear as well but had two batteries. I am guessing SRM found a better battery option to improve the design and save weight of a second battery.
Nope, exact same battery model and PCB layout as Ryan's 110bcd model pictured on the right.

Slack

by Slack

Hi, I've just replaced the batteries on my PM7 Da9000, opening the unit and the soldering were all straight forward and it now appears to be working as it should be. It was dead on arrival from a second hand online purchase. It was supposed to be working and just been serviced but it wasn't and then the seller blocked me and I couldn't get my money back, lesson learnt. The cover was sealed with an O ring as all the others have been above but it also had what seemed to be an awful lot of silicone sealant on it too, is that normal? I've just used some seal ring lubricant to get it back in to place when I reffited it. Does it need to have all the silicone around the seal too? it seemed like quite a lot given how tight the seal of the O ring is, if it does need it I'll take the cover back off and put the sealant on.

The second question is, if there anything that causes battery drain on an SRM? If I wasn't the victim of a seller and it was working but then the batteries drained to completely flat in the time that it took to get to me is there something that could have caused it?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

micky

by micky

"Back in the day" when I replaced twice my battery on my wired Srm, I didnt use any sealent when closing the cover cause it was pretty tight and didn't feel like it needed it.

As for battery draining, I didnt have any experience of this kind; on this department Srm is pretty solid to don't waste batteries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Slack wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:22 pm
It was dead on arrival from a second hand online purchase. It was supposed to be working and just been serviced but it wasn't and then the seller blocked me and I couldn't get my money back, lesson learnt.
While I no longer own an SRM, when we had DA 9000 models - both of which were purchased new from an SRM distributor - we got nearly 2.5 years out of them before sending them to SRM US for battery replacement and firmware udpates and even then that was really out habit more than due to any issues. Given that the seller sounds less than reputable, it is possible there is an issue with a PCB that is causing the battery to drain in which case, you would need to contact SRM. My guess though is that the seller misrepresented the conditionof the SRM nor had it actually been proferssionally serviced. A quick way to check would be to pair it with a Garmin or similar head unit and check the About screen which would show the firmware that is installed and compare that with what SRM says is the latest.
- Michael