Veloce/Centaur/Bontrager

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beavisbnc1

by beavisbnc1

I'm going to kill several birds with one post.

Does anyone have any experience with centaur hubs?

Where would one source bearings for an older set of Bontrager Race-x-lites....same as dt 240 if I'm not mistaken...

Does anyone have any experience using a centaur bottom bracket with 05/06 record/chorus 4 arm alloy cranks?.....Or even know if this is possible? I've heard both ways...

Has anyone used the veloce 10 speed cassettes?...How is the quality/shifting/durability?

Thanks a ton!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

beavisbnc1 wrote:I'm going to kill several birds with one post.

Does anyone have any experience with centaur hubs?

Where would one source bearings for an older set of Bontrager Race-x-lites....same as dt 240 if I'm not mistaken...

Does anyone have any experience using a centaur bottom bracket with 05/06 record/chorus 4 arm alloy cranks?.....Or even know if this is possible? I've heard both ways...

Has anyone used the veloce 10 speed cassettes?...How is the quality/shifting/durability?

Thanks a ton!
Centaur are 3rd in the Campag range so share alot with Veloce with the look of the better hubs.

If their the Hugi hub then DT bearings should be a match.

Chorus & Record doubles and compacts use a 102mm Centaur is 111mm so no it won't work as your chain line will be way off.

I use Dura Ace so sorry!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Optimo-GmC

by Optimo-GmC

I was told that Centaur hubs come close to Chorus/Record, only finish and the material of the end-caps are different.
2011 Cannondale Flash 29er (in order)
2008 Cannondale SuperSix
2007 Cannondale Taurine (for sale)

nexusheli

by nexusheli

ultimobici wrote:Chorus & Record doubles and compacts use a 102mm Centaur is 111mm so no it won't work as your chain line will be way off.

I'm currently running a Record carbon crank on a Veloce BB on my Pinarello, it works just fine. It should be no different in the case of the alloy crank, as the Record and Chorus cranks use the same specifications.
View before posting!
Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

c50jim

by c50jim

I use Centaur hubs regularly on winter or training bikes. They're fine and closer in weight and finish to Chorus than Veloce.

I also use Veloce cassettes regularly. They last as long as the more expensive ones and are not that much heavier (I know this is WW but I wear out 3 or 4 cassettes a year and don't see enough of an advantage to justify the higher price). Shifting is fine since they have the same ramps.

Re using a Chorus crank on Centaur BB, my LBS always says don't mix because of the difference in bottom bracket lengths. Put it on and see what your chain line is like. It might work with some bikes and not others.

retemple

by retemple

I have a Veloce cassette that shifts just as well as record. It's nothing fancy, separate steel cogs, etc. Not anywhere as light but a good piece of gear nonetheless. Cheap!

beavisbnc1

by beavisbnc1

Ok, thanks for the replies guys! So, where, or how would I actually go about sourcing those bearings?

brokebackmountainbiker

by brokebackmountainbiker

beavisbnc1 wrote:Ok, thanks for the replies guys! So, where, or how would I actually go about sourcing those bearings?

I too am curious about this. I own a 240 hub with smoked bearings. I always read people saying how simple, durable and easy to change the bearings in these hubs are, but I never read about anyone actually DOING the maintenence on these hubs....
Keepin' it Real since like last week or something.

beavisbnc1

by beavisbnc1

Hmmm... Looks like no one has ever changed thier bearings in this type of hub...???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com