Tubular Weights/Sizes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Andy B

by Andy B

I'm building up a database (well spreadsheet anyway) of tub weights at the moment (following on from a topic on Veloriders) as it is interesting to compare actual tub weights against the manufacturers claimed weights, and also how much variation there is between 'identical' models.

If you have anu unused tubs lying around and you fancy joining in, can you weigh them accurately (in grams) and let me know the Manufacturer, Model, Tyre Size, Actual Weight, Claimed Weight (if known), and tread pattern (e.g. slick, file, diamond, ribbed, herringbone, mixed etc.).

Also if can you measure the circumference as well (i.e. the wheel circumference when fitted - not the cross section) in millimetres - I can then add those options to the list of tyres in Gear Size option of my Cycles Stats program (see below).

Here's what I have so far (thanks to Racy Rich for most of this info):-

Manufacturer Model Average weight (gms)
Challenge Chronos 240
Challenge Criterium 296
Clement 1993 Criterium 275
Clement 1993 Criterium Seta Extra 237
Clement No.1 168
Criterium Ruta Extra 249
Deda Tre Olimpico 293
Gommitalia Asso 254
Gommitalia Start 266
Gommitialia Track 185
Hutchinson Tech Carbon Comp 273
Schwalbe Milano 252
Tufo S33 Stealth 270
Vittoria 1989 CG 246
Vittoria CX Twin Tread 283
Vittoria Evo CX 287

Oh and still let me know even if it is already listed - helps me build up a good sample size.
Last edited by Andy B on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ww.easterleycycling.org.uk/CycleStatsLite.exe for Gears, Revs, BBAR, Pursuit Scheduling etc etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doozer

by doozer

conti competition tubular 700*22mm 280g. (2005 pre vectran model)

also see>>

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ompetition

for new vectran version
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Andy B

by Andy B

doozer wrote:conti competition tubular 700*22mm 280g. (2005 pre vectran model)

also see>>

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ompetition

for new vectran version

Thanks Doozer - was that 280g claimed or actual weight?
http://ww.easterleycycling.org.uk/CycleStatsLite.exe for Gears, Revs, BBAR, Pursuit Scheduling etc etc.

doozer

by doozer

I weighed a pair and they were 560 on the nose. bought in 2004.

The newer vectran ones look good for approx 240g. a good compromise between weight and function. I'll get a pair of these for the 2007 season i think. I'd not be too confidant of RR'ing on anything lighter and as all us Roadies know if a puncture doesn't end your race it can mean a shed-load of extra effort to get back into the bunch.

dooz
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

=4cranks

by =4cranks

Andy B wrote:I'm building up a database (well spreadsheet anyway) of tub weights at the moment (following on from a topic on Veloriders) as it is interesting to compare actual tub weights against the manufacturers claimed weights, and also how much variation there is between 'identical' models. . . Also if can you measure the circumference as well (i.e. the wheel circumference when fitted - not the cross section) in millimetres - I can then add those options to the list of tyres in Gear Size option of my Cycles Stats program (see below).
Oh and still let me know even if it is already listed - helps me build up a good sample size.
Have you checked the WW forum listings? If not, click the listings link near the top-left of this page.
Much of what you ask is there.
Equality for Cranks.

Andy B

by Andy B

=4cranks wrote:
Andy B wrote:I'm building up a database (well spreadsheet anyway) of tub weights at the moment (following on from a topic on Veloriders) as it is interesting to compare actual tub weights against the manufacturers claimed weights, and also how much variation there is between 'identical' models. . . Also if can you measure the circumference as well (i.e. the wheel circumference when fitted - not the cross section) in millimetres - I can then add those options to the list of tyres in Gear Size option of my Cycles Stats program (see below).
Have you checked the WW forum listings? If not, click the listings link near the top-left of this page.
Much of what you ask is there.

Yes I checked them after I posted this (hadn't realised they were on there being a newbie).

Doesn't give the tyre circumferences though that would help with my list of tyre sizes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onyourleft

by onyourleft

One that's not on the WW Listings is the Vredestein Fortezza Pro 21c. Circum. @ 135 PSI- 2094mm. Claimed weight- 260gm, Actual weight- 249gm.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!