New Lew Wheels coming....880grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pk0r

by pk0r

I will be able to test ride these soon to report back on my impressions in comparison to the tubular version.

Maybe also of interest: Paul has been building a set of Tandem PRO VT-1s, find pics here: http://www.pk0r.com/LEW/LEW2008Tandem/index.htm
They share a couple of features of the Clydesdale version but appear to be beefed up even further, which has been one feature in the design of the Pro VT-1s to be able to react on different demands. Weights are 727g front / 956g rear, MSRP $7500.
Attachments
LEW Pro VT-1 Tandem - side.jpg
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

Danton

by Danton

Since this seems to be a general LEW rims thread, can I ask a question?

LEW say you don't need carbon-specific brake blocks. Does this mean you can use alloy rims and then swap to the LEWs, or will you still have the same problem of flakes of alu getting embedded in the brake blocks which then scour the LEW rim, or is the LEW rim able to withstand this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pk0r

by pk0r

Yes, you can swap between alu and LEW rims without cleaning the pads. This will not damage the rim.
Me personally I'd still slightly clean the pads with a sandpaper, but generally it is not required. Paul designed this with racing in mind where you don't have the time to clean or swap to different pads.
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Is the wheelset that much better than what I could build up using really nice hubs and spokes in terms of stiffness and ride characteristics?

pk0r

by pk0r

That also depends on how good of a builder you are. The complete wheelsets always come at the same quality and won't ever have to be retrued. After all it will also be the lightest option.
For tangible comparison numbers, there will be tests of a "standard" spoked version and and the new Pro VT-1s with Tune freehub body in one of the next issues of German Tour-Magazin.