Prolite Gavia MC 38 mm Carbon Clinchers, Need Feedback.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lsiau

by lsiau

Just to let everyone know, I went down to my LBS today and got an employee whos a friend of mine to weigh the wheels. He was using one of those fish market scales, the front and rear were in the 1700+ g range. Of course I was little disappointed.

But at the same time I was impressed, in the box and included in the set are carbon brake pads, extra spokes (yes!), spoke wrench, ti-carbon skewers ,nice wheel bags, owners instruction manual, full rim tape.

The wheel itself also looked pretty nice, it had that 'Lightweight' carbon look about it, felt sturdy and strong, especially the hubs with their massive flanges. I felt that it had the look of a everyday rider sort of wheel. Appeared also that besides a rim failure, it is easy to repair.

What do you guys think? Ignore the weight and jump in?

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I wouldnt, why not just go for a set of American Classic Cr-420's or Easton Tempests or Ascents - aero (apart from the ascent), cheaper, rim is cheaper to repair, better breaking - for a lower price and easier to repair

Theres also neuvation, Rol and Galen offering cheap carbon clinchers/tubulars in the states

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

lsiau wrote:Just to let everyone know, I went down to my LBS today and got an employee whos a friend of mine to weigh the wheels. He was using one of those fish market scales, the front and rear were in the 1700+ g range. Of course I was little disappointed.

What do you guys think? Ignore the weight and jump in?

Heavier than ZIPP / HED 404 - Jet 50 clinchers
Poorer braking surface
less Aero shape
less well known brand

and you need to swap pads when you swap wheels, ...

I'm not flaming at all, but it seems like you're wanting to ignore the whole thread and jump...

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I think Cosmics are the way to go of you want this look.
There is little point in carbon clinchers, you can't ride them daily (they will crack), and if you're racing, you're better off with tubulars for weight and performance.
Mavics will give you the aero with some practicality.
However, at 1800g, you're likely better off with lighter aluminum wheels.