Fulcrum Racing 1 choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

San Marco

by San Marco

Not ww I know but would welcome any thoughts.

I have a training partner who rides for a sponsored team and is supplied Fulcrum wheels. He's over 6'4" tall and over 80kg and finds the Racing 1's one of the stiffest wheels he's ridden. With a season of road races and training they are still as straight as a die. I have had Zondas and Protons and think these are great for those same reasons, I've also got or had Kysrium sl's, corima aeros and heliums as comparisons.

My question concerns buying some new clinchers for road races next year and I can't make my mind up between Kysriums ES and Fulcrum Racing 1's. They are a similar price. The weight of the Fulcrums is the issue with them and the flex and toughness of the Kysriums ES is their issue. I say flex because when I had the Kysrium SL's I found the back wheel flex when I jumped, a bit.

Any thoughts on the choice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

go with campy eurus, which are fulcrum 1's only slightly less expensive for some reason, with cooler G3 lacing.

go with the fulcrums if you like spending extra money for no reason.

campy eurus have been shown to be more aero, stiffer, and have smoother bearings, and are just as light as the ksyriums.

i think the mavics still inexplicably use a bushing instead of bearings in the freehub.

campy is a cycling company with a long tradition, whereas Mavic is a subsidiary of a global conglomerate: Adidas.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

BBAGDAN wrote:go with campy eurus, which are fulcrum 1's only slightly less expensive for some reason, with cooler G3 lacing.

go with the fulcrums if you like spending extra money for no reason.

campy eurus have been shown to be more aero, stiffer, and have smoother bearings, and are just as light as the ksyriums.

i think the mavics still inexplicably use a bushing instead of bearings in the freehub.

campy is a cycling company with a long tradition, whereas Mavic is a subsidiary of a global conglomerate: Adidas.

Hi,

Ditto on the Eurus. Best of class, period.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

San Marco

by San Marco

Totally agree, have been cycling for nearly 20 years and for all but a very short period have been a Campag man.

The reason I haven't considered the Eurus is because they only do a silver version of the current model.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Mavic use a bushing in the freehub of the Kysrium to save weight. That is why they are so light. :?

If you want black, then get the racing 1. They are Campy anyway.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Go with Eurus!!! If you enjoyed the Protons the you'll love the Eurus. There er just much more speed in them! And they are also very stiff and much more aerodynamic the the Ksyrium!

Eurus all the way!
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

My vote goes for Racing 1 or Eurus. Everyone owning a set of these wheels seem to praise them and they have a reputation to be bombproof.

BBAGDAN wrote:campy is a cycling company with a long tradition, whereas Mavic is a subsidiary of a global conglomerate: Adidas.

Mavic and Salomon are no longer owned by Adidas.
In 2005 Adidas sold the Salomon buisness including its satellite brands Arc'teryx, Mavic, Bonfire and Cliché to Amer Sports.
But that said, an Adidas ownership doesn't make Mavic wheels any worse or better.
I don't get your argument with Mavic beeing a Adidas subsidiary while Campy having a long cycling history. Mavic is just like Campy a company with a long cycling tradition, the Mavic comapny has a history dating all the way back to 1889 (and Mavic was not started by Adidas or Salomon, Salomon just took over the ownership once and later Adidas took ower the ownership of Salomon and the sold Salomon again in 2005).

http://www.adidas-group.com/en/News/arc ... _10_20.asp
Adidas Group wrote:adidas-Salomon completes divestiture of Salomon to Amer Sports Corporation

Herzogenaurach, October 20, 2005 – adidas-Salomon AG announced today that it has formally completed the divestiture of its Salomon business segment to the Amer Sports Corporation. As previously announced, the transaction value for the Salomon business segment is approximately € 485 million based on year-end 2004 figures. The final price will be adjusted in accordance with net assets as at September 30, 2005. Following the completion of the divestiture of the Salomon business segment on October 19, 2005, the Salomon segment will be deconsolidated at the beginning of the fourth quarter 2005.

The Salomon business segment includes the related subsidiaries and brands Salomon, Mavic, Bonfire, Arc’Teryx and Cliché. In conjunction with the transaction, adidas-Salomon and Amer have entered into collaboration agreements in order to ensure a smooth transition post closing.

“With the Salomon divestiture now complete, our organization is now devoting its energies to the adidas and TaylorMade brands and the next major steps lying ahead of us,” said adidas-Salomon CEO Herbert Hainer. “The Salomon family of brands continues to offer considerable promise and we wish them all the best for their future.”

adidas-Salomon is one of the global leaders within the sporting goods industry and offers a broad range of products with brands such as adidas and TaylorMade in its portfolio. Excluding the Salomon business segment, the adidas Group had 14,217 employees and reached sales of € 5.9 billion in 2004. The Group’s net income attributable to shareholders from continuing and discontinued operations reached € 314 million in 2004. adidas-Salomon AG will remain the company’s name for the time being. The change of the name to adidas AG is subject to shareholder approval and will be proposed to the Annual General Meeting in May 2006.

http://www.amersports.com/about/in_brie ... 3afb7ff94a
Amer Sports wrote:2005

Amer acquires Salomon

Amer Sports was ready to make a strategic move by acquiring Salomon and the family of brands Mavic, Bonfire, Arc'teryx, and Cliché. The combined business created a leading global sports equipment company with combined sales of EUR 1.7 billion and 7,300 employees. Salomon is known for highly innovative and performance oriented products. The new acquisition also expanded Amer Sports businesses in outdoor and opened completely new market areas of bicycle components and technical clothing.
Last edited by 2 wheels on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

San Marco wrote:Totally agree, have been cycling for nearly 20 years and for all but a very short period have been a Campag man.

The reason I haven't considered the Eurus is because they only do a silver version of the current model.

Hi,

Rest assured there's a black version of the Eurus as well.

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

2 wheels: thanks for the info about adidas selling mavic et al. i didn't know. I actually like adidas anyway, but favor supporting 'the little guys'. (although mavic is probably littler than campag!) Plus, the president of adidas never replied to my letter requesting that mavic make mavic cycling clothing. bastard!

san marco: according to the campag website the eurus is still available in black.

if you really have money to burn, get the gold eurus, er, shamal.

eurus are the best mid depth aluminum wheels, and are bombproof (as are the fulcrums). i've got over 50000km on mine and they're straight as an arrow and butter smooth.

even the mighty zipp404 requires only 4W less to spin at 50km/h.

into the mist

by into the mist

+another vote for Eurus- I have them in black as well...

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

fdegrove wrote:
San Marco wrote:Totally agree, have been cycling for nearly 20 years and for all but a very short period have been a Campag man.

Hi,

Rest assured there's a black version of the Eurus as well.

Yes, Eurus 2006 are made in both Silver and Black and sold with both Campy and Shimano/SRAM body.
The first place I checked sell Eurus 2006 in both Silver and Black. They charge the same for both Eurus and Racing 1 (549 €):
Eurus 2006 Silver, 549 € http://www.bike-palast.com/enid/Race_Co ... 23_5w.html
Eurus 2006 Black, 549 € http://www.bike-palast.com/enid/Race_Co ... 22_5w.html
Racing 1 Black, 549 € http://www.bike-palast.com/enid/Race_Co ... 65_5w.html

ImageImage
ImageImage

San Marco

by San Marco

into the mist wrote:+another vote for Eurus- I have them in black as well...

Who has Black Eurus in the UK? A link would be great.

Totally agree with everyone about Campag wheels on this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kysrium ES?

San Marco

by San Marco

Just spotted some Black ones on Sigma Sports website.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

San Marco wrote:
into the mist wrote:+another vote for Eurus- I have them in black as well...

Who has Black Eurus in the UK? A link would be great.

Totally agree with everyone about Campag wheels on this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kysrium ES?

Hi,

None whatsoever.
As soon as I first saw those wheels back in June last year my immediate thoughts where: shamelessly overpriced. Seems like everyone agrees with that now.
Seriously, there's nothing to justify the price. Not even the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

San Marco wrote:Who has Black Eurus in the UK? A link would be great.

Dot Bike sells front+rear in both black and silver for £492.55:
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP51.aspx?Track=FGL

Wiggle also sells Eurus 2006 in both silver and black. If you hurry up, they have 10% off in September.
They are not very cheap though, compared to for example Bike-Palast.com in Germany, even with the 10% off.
Eurus 2006 front, £229.50:
http://tinyurl.com/p8p6f
Eurus 2006 rear, £287.10
http://tinyurl.com/qqr7p
Price for Eurus front+rear at Wiggle.co.uk with 10% off in September: £229.50 + £287.10 = £516.60

AW Cycles sells a pair in black or silver for £540:
http://www.awcycles.co.uk/products.php? ... 9s118p1110

parker-international.co.uk sells them for £395, but only in silver:
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 3d3b3e5c0b

The easiets way to find a UK dealer is to use Froogle.co.uk:
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=eurus+black

Price for Eurus front+rear at Bike-Palast.com in Germany: €549 = £368
URLs made tiny. Cyco