Argon 18 mercury RPT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KF

by KF

Hi!

I've just bought this frame, but there's something I don't understand (there's actually quite a lot of things I don't understand, but this is the one to talk about here...)

A 700X23 tire will rub against the frame, on the rear wheel... Is it just me, or is that actually the way it is built? It just seems weird, or is it just me?

The problem isn't bigger than me ordering 700X20 tires, I just wondered about it?
- G. Digital K. Loco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

A 23 tire should not rub on the chain stays. Try putting a different wheel with a 23 tire in the rear drop outs and make sure the wheel's axel is firmly seated in the drop out. If the problem goes away, then the original wheel's axel may be slightly untrue and not sitting correctly in the drop outs. Alternatively, the drop outs could be uneven, which can often be solved with a small amount of minor filing inside one or the other side of the dropouts - DO NOT do this if your frame has full carbon dropouts. The biggest of the potential problems would be the frame is not true.

KF

by KF

Stolichnaya wrote:A 23 tire should not rub on the chain stays. Try putting a different wheel with a 23 tire in the rear drop outs and make sure the wheel's axel is firmly seated in the drop out. If the problem goes away, then the original wheel's axel may be slightly untrue and not sitting correctly in the drop outs. Alternatively, the drop outs could be uneven, which can often be solved with a small amount of minor filing inside one or the other side of the dropouts - DO NOT do this if your frame has full carbon dropouts. The biggest of the potential problems would be the frame is not true.

Well, I wasn't very clear in my formulation.

It isn't the the chainstays, but the top of the "cut-out" that the tire is rubbing on.
- G. Digital K. Loco

jeffr

by jeffr

Does it have set screws in the dropouts for adjustment? This is how walser does it. To run 22mm tires I had to increase clearance. But his frame uses horizontal dropouts. I think yours has vertical?

footwerx

by footwerx

this is kind of weird.. i've got a couple of friends who ride that frame in a size M, and they tend to run 22-23mm tires/tubs on the rear, and the clearance is actually quite significant (>1cm). This actually led me to believe that the MErcury is not very aero.

Seems odd that your rear wheel is actually rubbing on the cutout. Could be a manufacturing anomaly? Best get it warrantied.

KF

by KF

jeffr wrote:Does it have set screws in the dropouts for adjustment? This is how walser does it. To run 22mm tires I had to increase clearance. But his frame uses horizontal dropouts. I think yours has vertical?

That is correct.
- G. Digital K. Loco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KF

by KF

footwerx wrote:this is kind of weird.. i've got a couple of friends who ride that frame in a size M, and they tend to run 22-23mm tires/tubs on the rear, and the clearance is actually quite significant (>1cm). This actually led me to believe that the MErcury is not very aero.

Seems odd that your rear wheel is actually rubbing on the cutout. Could be a manufacturing anomaly? Best get it warrantied.

I'll wait and see when I get the new tires, and then I'll see if I should do anything about it.

It is only on my disc that there is a problem, I've tried it with my training wheels too, and they clear by approximately 0.5 cm. may be it is just the tire on my disc or something.

Tahank you for all your replies, I'll get back too you with an update, when the new tires are mounted.
- G. Digital K. Loco