Changing Cosmos Freehub Body

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
FishBulb

by FishBulb

I have a set of Cosmos wheels that have the M10 freehub on them. These wheels are pre 2004 so it's not the FTS-L hub. Is there any way I can get an ED10 body on there at a reasonable cost? If I have to change the hub then I may as well replace the rear wheel and If I do that I'm basically looking at a new set of wheels... Unfortunately in Australia Cosmos can't be had for that mythical $200 some of you keep mentioning.

Deep down I think it's a lost cause. I hoping someone out there has some gem of information on how/if it could be done.

Cheers

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

"Mating Mavic, Campy and Shimano
Dear Lennard,

I've got some 2004 Mavic Cosmic Carbones with a Campy cassette and have recently bought a bike with Dura-Ace 10 transmission. What would I have to do to use the Cosmics on this bike?
Andy

Dear Andy, Those wheels would not shift worth beans using a Campy 10 cogset with a Shimano 10 transmission. You could buy and install a Shimano 10-speed cogset and a Mavic freehub body for Shimano (called "M10"), interchanging it with that "ED10" freehub body and Campy cogset. Alternatively, you may be able to locate some aftermarket cogs for a Campy freehub that have narrower, Shimano spacing. I know these exist for going the other way (for instance, Wheels Manufacturing makes a Campy-10-compatible cogset for a Shimano freehub using a Shimano cogset with modified cog spacing), so they likely do the other way around.
Lennard "

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/art ... 817.0.html

Basically, if you can find a replacement casette body then you should be right to change it (seems that they arent hub specific), but a conversion casette could be the way to go.

But I cant find any of the freehub bodies on a quick search, hopefully someone else can help you out

FishBulb

by FishBulb

Hi Skill thanks for the reply.

I saw that today during my many hours of trawling the web, unfortunately it has to be the ED10 as I have a new cassette waiting to go on. I have just shelled out for a refresh on my drive train (to go with some new to tubulars...) and I'm keen to have the "ultra drive" experience... I installed the derailleurs and chain but when it came to the cassette it was somewhat of an anti-climax...