Who has ksyriums and wants to make them lighter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey everyone, since my cranksets are still held up due to material availability I'm working on other things. I was thinking about machining aluminum freehubs for ksyriums to save another 40g or so over the steel freehubs.

Not sure what other mavic wheels they would work on, but probley more then the ksyriums, cosmic carbons perhapes?

Anyone interested?

If I can get about 10 people to purchase them I can make it happen. If there is a market for it I will machine some out. Let me know, I can get them out as quickley as mid June.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ivan

by Ivan

What would be the estimated price ?

Superlite

by Superlite

I couldn't say for sure, but the more people that want one the less it will cost.

I have to look at the tool paths that I have to run more closely to get a good price, but right now I can estimate around $70-$80.

Like I said, it's an estimate, but something to work with.

nicrump

by nicrump

you think the splines of the shimano body are deep enough for aluminum? we tried that a few years back, steel cogs eventually cut through the freehub body. hence the deep splines of campy.

Superlite

by Superlite

You do know that the new shimano hubs have an aluminum freehub don't you? They must not be too worried about it. :wink:

Besides, there are plenty of other companies doing it, velomax and a few others. I think Zipp is to.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:You do know that the new shimano hubs have an aluminum freehub don't you? They must not be too worried about it. :wink:

Besides, there are plenty of other companies doing it, velomax and a few others. I think Zipp is to.

The new Shimano cassette body has deeper splines for this reason, the original depth can get chewed up a lot by the shallow splines. So yes they were worried about it, and changed the design to allow for that.

I think of Mavic thought it was possible they would have done it. If for no other reason than to machine Al is cheaper than steel (it takes less time and isn't as hard on the cutting tools) and have the weight savings on top of that.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Well velomax has aluminum free hubs, and they held up just fine for me. I don't think it is an issue as long as your not Cipo.

If for no other reason than to machine Al is cheaper than steel (it takes less time and isn't as hard on the cutting tools)

Mavic doesn't machine steel, , they forge the freehub. That is extremly costly, much more then machining aluminum. Probley cost around $100,000 for the die. :shock:

Anyways, does anyone think they would be interested?

saletel

by saletel

if i just didnt sell mine off... oh and i ride campy now...

also, hugi has aluminum free hub bodies. i'll take a picture of my old one, they only get chewed up at the end on the single cogs, (larger cogs on a carrier more area to distribute the load)

Superlite

by Superlite

Well I haven't gotten much of a response, if you guys are interested in one please let me know asap!

I'm starting a list of who wants one. I need a dedicated group of 10 people, I'll even include myself in the group.

If we do get 10 people I will need the half the amount up front, and once complete I will need the other half. Again, estimating $70-$80, but will get a much more accurate price once I get some interest to make it worth my time to look into.

Or if no one shows interest is there another item you guys are wishing to be made? I need to make something for a school project, figure I might as well make it cycling related and get a start on my future business.

1).Superlite
2).
3).
4).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

If possible - why not make an aluminium freehub for Shimano Dura-Ace. I am sure there would be a lot of Lightweight owners who would be interested. I guess you would need to put steel races in it.