Having a bad day on the bike........... -> more pic.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Luc

by Luc

A close shave.... :shock: :shock:
Pollice verso.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

From the look of the original pic, it looked certain his arm was run over, but given his posture in the last picture, with both hands flat on the ground, I'd suspect somehow it didn't get run over. Otherwise the shoulder and upper arm would have been damaged too badly to have that much control over his arm to retain symmetry. Devistating nonetheless. Lucky to be alive!
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

pinky

by pinky

Something like that happened in the women's DI field at nationals this year, only the rider came out minorly injured but her bike was somehow fired from under the wheels of the car and scythed down a large portion of the field. Bikes and cars just don't mix too well.

OCLV110

by OCLV110

ouch! :shock:

bike_add1ct

by bike_add1ct

rockymtnway wrote:From the look of the original pic, it looked certain his arm was run over, but given his posture in the last picture, with both hands flat on the ground, I'd suspect somehow it didn't get run over. Otherwise the shoulder and upper arm would have been damaged too badly to have that much control over his arm to retain symmetry. Devistating nonetheless. Lucky to be alive!

Exactly my idea :)

In that pic above it almost looks like the tyre is right on top of his arm, but maybe he does retract his arm in time

brminpin

by brminpin

Looks like the mistake was that the guy in the car tried to hold onto the falling rider pretty much pulling him toward the car. This pretty much assured that the rider would fall right next to the car instead of falling away (the way the bike was moving). What a scary scene. Luckily the car was just a Jetta, nothing bigger.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

OMG. total suckage.

What is the black think around his arm then wrist, it looked like the guy in the car was trying to take it off and held on to him while he fell dragging him under the car?

I do think his arm got run over and having had my foot run over a few times it surprising isn't that bad. I'm sure it hurt though.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

brminpin wrote:Looks like the mistake was that the guy in the car tried to hold onto the falling rider pretty much pulling him toward the car. This pretty much assured that the rider would fall right next to the car instead of falling away (the way the bike was moving). What a scary scene. Luckily the car was just a Jetta, nothing bigger.

I agree, I know he was trying to help, but if he let the guy go he would have fallen away from the car, not under it. I know a girl that her parents backed over her when she was an infant and amazingly she was fine. Strange how things like that can happen. Her parents didn't get "Parent of the Year" award by the way.

iubike

by iubike

From the dust at the tire, and since we can't see infront of it I have a feeling (am hoping) that they skidded to a stop just before his arm. Scary though.

cswi9367

by cswi9367

he was trying to get some food and the guy in the car was in charge of holding onto him to keep in at pace. something then happened and he lost balance and went under.

i am not sure of the outcome, but if a car runs over your arm, it doesnt mean it will break. ive had a car run over my leg, no damage. you have to remember the actual weight that the tire puts to the ground is only about 20 lbs per 1" contact. so, quick hop over and ok. im sure he was sore, as i was with my leg, but no damage.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

I wouldn't blame the guy in the team car too much, you'll notice that he hasn't really got a firm grip, in fact it's the rider who was at fault because he hung on to the car door with his fingers even when there was no hope of getting his bike upright again.

I really hope that car didn't go over his arm.

Just out of interest, who thinks his helmet would have saved him if his head went under the wheel? I read about a guy in England who was run over by a small truck and the back wheels went over his head, but his helmet supported the weight (it was a Bell by the way).

cswi9367

by cswi9367

i dont blame driver or rider, but a combination. also, the first picture that we see is by far not the first picture in sequence. there are other things that led up to this.

yes, you can drive over a helmet.

WannaBeSTi

by WannaBeSTi

I am so pissed...the car ran over my bottle
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

tommasini

by tommasini

If you look at the sequence of shots his body pretty much stayed even with the forward movement of the car - meaning both were going 20 - 25 mph. Likely as the rider fell the car brakes went on soon enough so that his arm never (but barely never) went under the rear wheel. How do you spell LUCKY!?

col hicks

by col hicks

i am gonna throw up :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com