Having a bad day on the bike........... -> more pic.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KF

by KF

That looks horrible! Somebody's gotta be watching over that poor guy, it could easily have been his head under that wheel.
Last edited by KF on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
- G. Digital K. Loco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ripley451

by Ripley451

cswi9367 wrote:he was trying to get some food and the guy in the car was in charge of holding onto him to keep in at pace. something then happened and he lost balance and went under.

i am not sure of the outcome, but if a car runs over your arm, it doesnt mean it will break. ive had a car run over my leg, no damage. you have to remember the actual weight that the tire puts to the ground is only about 20 lbs per 1" contact. so, quick hop over and ok. im sure he was sore, as i was with my leg, but no damage.

We had a patient in from a rtc, who had a van run over him in a diagonal, from left shoulder to right hip with no damage other than tyre marks on his shirt. A close escape for the guy.
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

OCLV110

by OCLV110

Ripley451 wrote:We had a patient in from a rtc, who had a van run over him in a diagonal, from left shoulder to right hip with no damage other than tyre marks on his shirt. A close escape for the guy.

Close indeed! Any lower and he'll be singing a high C

drjones96

by drjones96

Man I'd have to frame the shirt and hang it in the living room :lol:

Balenaar

by Balenaar

Auch man :?
That looks aweful :shock:
Time VXRS Ulteam

mises

by mises

Sprinter wrote:I read about a guy in England who was run over by a small truck and the back wheels went over his head, but his helmet supported the weight (it was a Bell by the way).
Assuming this was a standard bicycle helmet his skull is what supported the weight, not the helmet, which is designed to crush so your head won't have to. An empty bicycle helmet would have been flat as a pancake.

drjones96

by drjones96

mises wrote:
Sprinter wrote:I read about a guy in England who was run over by a small truck and the back wheels went over his head, but his helmet supported the weight (it was a Bell by the way).
Assuming this was a standard bicycle helmet his skull is what supported the weight, not the helmet, which is designed to crush so your head won't have to. An empty bicycle helmet would have been flat as a pancake.

It was a composite structure (Helmet + Head) :lol:

brianwchan

by brianwchan

OT: How come companies don't use carbon fiber to make a stronger helmet (vs. foam)? Would it even make sense to do so? I know Giro inserts carbon here and there, but I thought that was for looks.

evilgeek

by evilgeek

brianwchan wrote:OT: How come companies don't use carbon fiber to make a stronger helmet (vs. foam)? Would it even make sense to do so? I know Giro inserts carbon here and there, but I thought that was for looks.

a stronger helmet will transmit more force through to your head. destroying the helmet when you fall is better, because it absorbs the energy rather than passing it along.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

OCLV110 wrote:
Ripley451 wrote:We had a patient in from a rtc, who had a van run over him in a diagonal, from left shoulder to right hip with no damage other than tyre marks on his shirt. A close escape for the guy.

Close indeed! Any lower and he'll be singing a high C

Any higher and he wouldn't have been singing at all :lol:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/