P3 Carbon: mtn version

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airsoft510

by airsoft510

today at the shop i work at i saw a P3 carbon being worked on by the mechanic, i noticed it had a compact crank, and then noticed he was putting on a mtn cassette which had to have been like a 32 or 30. i also noticed it had shimano mtn deraillers.... i thought to myself Whaa???? if it was on a road bike then O.K. but its on a $3,000 Time Trial frameset with mtn components and a 34/32 gear ratio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffr

by jeffr

Sounds like this thread and the p3 cracked down tube thread may have something in common soon! :-)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 9e27ede13e

BmanX

by BmanX

Nothing in common at all. Trust me. I run an 11-23 with my compact set-up (50/36) and run this set-up on my current triathlon bike. If I can get the P3C that I am trying to get I will still run the same set up. I like this set up as it gives me a very close gearing ratio in the big ring. A lot of my races here on the west coast of Canada have some pretty steep climbs and so do my training rides. This set up mentioned in this thread does not make any sense to me. If there is that much climbing that you need this set up, you should not be riding this bike no matter how much money you have. I would go with the lightest road bike and get some Hed Clip-lites or some shorter aerobars.

The other thing that you have to keep in mind about my set-up is that I have to run at least 10km off the bike up to a half marathon after I finish riding where as someone that would normally ride a P3C gets off the bike and has breakfast.

jeffr

by jeffr

@bman88: I meant that the mtb use of a tt frame was probably going to result in a cracked downtube.

BmanX

by BmanX

Ah, no problem. Did not pick up on that. A long day at the office and a long day trying to get this frame in my hands. I really want this frame.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

....Sorry didnt want this thread to interfear/in reply with/have any relation to the other p3c thread...

Tugboat

by Tugboat

airsoft510 wrote:today at the shop i work at i saw a P3 carbon being worked on by the mechanic, i noticed it had a compact crank, and then noticed he was putting on a mtn cassette which had to have been like a 32 or 30. i also noticed it had shimano mtn deraillers.... i thought to myself Whaa???? if it was on a road bike then O.K. but its on a $3,000 Time Trial frameset with mtn components and a 34/32 gear ratio

=Too much money + not enough training + no sense maybe?? :?

Dalai

by Dalai

airsoft510 wrote:today at the shop i work at i saw a P3 carbon being worked on by the mechanic, i noticed it had a compact crank, and then noticed he was putting on a mtn cassette which had to have been like a 32 or 30. i also noticed it had shimano mtn deraillers.... i thought to myself Whaa???? if it was on a road bike then O.K. but its on a $3,000 Time Trial frameset with mtn components and a 34/32 gear ratio

Why didn't you just ask the Mechanic the who and why?

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

I don't like the idea of it either but really what is the difference between this and somebody running 34x27 on a high end road bike?

JK

by JK

34x32 on a P3?

Maybe he got tired of taking the bike up the stairs of his apartment and decided to ride it :lol:.

Etienne

by Etienne

If the P3C owner wants to spin in aero position while climbing, he'll need a very short gear :idea: ... and only a mtn rear der is able to manage those gears :wink:

Not very common, but not silly, I think :wink:

mdnbike

by mdnbike

It sounds like he my be setting up a hill climb bike, I ran a 34, 32 set up on mt. Washington this past weekend on a r3, I did see some riders riding 22 front 34 rear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bluespot

by bluespot

it's pretty common for a mechanic and or owner to put a mountain derailer in the rear to accomidate the larger mountain cogs (30-34) mountain derailer longer cage ... road double & triple middle cage (too Short) ... works very well considering sti works with rear mountain mechs ...

--drew :D