Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti Pedals???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

Have been cruising around the various e-tailers looking for some pedals for my new ride (Dean El Diente arrives on 3/22) and stumbled across the Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti pedal at only 200g per pair. Mg pedal body and Ti axle. While they use SPD cleats, I don't have a problem with that as I used the 7410 Dura-Ace pedals (SPD) for many years with no problem. And only $80 a pair at the moment. But, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these and what that might be? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Thanks.
Attachments
Pro Mg Ti.jpg
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

Scapin/Dean wrote:Have been cruising around the various e-tailers looking for some pedals for my new ride (Dean El Diente arrives on 3/22) and stumbled across the Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti pedal at only 200g per pair. Mg pedal body and Ti axle. While they use SPD cleats, I don't have a problem with that as I used the 7410 Dura-Ace pedals (SPD) for many years with no problem. And only $80 a pair at the moment. But, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these and what that might be? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Thanks.

All I know is a friend of mine has them and he's admittedly not so keen on them. He doesn't like the small platform on long rides. Their main advantage is price, but you get what you pay for. Since you like your DA's, fork out a little extra and get the new DA's.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

As mentioned, my DA's are the original SPD with the same small platform, which has never been a problem for me. What does your friend think about their quality?

bobalou

by bobalou

Scapin/Dean wrote:As mentioned, my DA's are the original SPD with the same small platform, which has never been a problem for me. What does your friend think about their quality?

He hasn't had a problem with them, I know that. He's still using them but honestly, I think he's just too cheap to get something else! The good thing about Performance is they'll take them in a return, no questions asked, if you don't like them.

Rippin

by Rippin

I'd say save some more $$ and then consider one of the Speedplay models. They are lightweight and extremely functional - click in on either side of the pedal, relatively few moving parts.
I honestly haven't read anything bad about these pedals. I use them on all of my road bikes, and until someone invents a better pedal, I'll stick with them.

bobalou

by bobalou

Rippin wrote:I'd say save some more $$ and then consider one of the Speedplay models. They are lightweight and extremely functional - click in on either side of the pedal, relatively few moving parts.
I honestly haven't read anything bad about these pedals. I use them on all of my road bikes, and until someone invents a better pedal, I'll stick with them.

You know what, I think Rippen is absolutely right. If you want light pedals for a good price you can't beat the speedplays. Now that you mention the symmetrical click-in, that was one of my buddies complaints, click-in is a pain on those sometimes. I have a set of X2's and X1's, the X2's are on my training bike. Never a single problem with either set. The cleat provides a nice platform. They will cost you a bit more but .. but you can find good deals. I got the X2's (used about 100 miles) on eBay for $90 bucks and have about 4k miles on them. X3's are a bit heavier but you can find them brand new for cheap.

Millen

by Millen

These pedals are manufactured by Wellgo.

If you like the original Shimano SPD road pedals you will like them too. Good news is that Wellgo pedals are Shimano SPD SH-51 cleat compatible.
Not a real Weight Weenie but I like my bike lighter!

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

I've given Speedplay some thought. But they are twice as much as the Forte and then I have to cough up another $40 for the cleats for my shoes. Every other pedal I've looked at has the cleats included. And I'm at the end of my budget for my new ride (no $400 Ti chain, I guess - have to live with stainless).

Cyco

by Cyco

Get some Keywins, SS or Ti axles, all parts that wear are replacable, 3 bolt cleats and seriously light
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

norcal

by norcal

While this is not apples to apples, I bought a pair of the "Look" style Forte mag/ti pedals to replace my Look petals. Figured it was one of the cheapest ways to lighten my somewhat heavy Cannondale Cad 5 2000si. The weight difference you can feel in your hands. They are roughly 100+gms lighter at 250gms.
At this point they take a bit of twisting to get out of, even at the loosest of settings. (Fell at a light the first time out. :oops:
Otherwise they are good and cheep. Unfortunately the realization is upon me that I'm going to have to spend some seriously big money to drop much more weight. (I'm looking toward frames and cranks next.)
If i could only be riding now

weiwentg

by weiwentg

Scapin/Dean wrote:I've given Speedplay some thought. But they are twice as much as the Forte and then I have to cough up another $40 for the cleats for my shoes. Every other pedal I've looked at has the cleats included. And I'm at the end of my budget for my new ride (no $400 Ti chain, I guess - have to live with stainless).

eh? Speedplay includes cleats with the pedal just like everyone else.
you could try posting a want ad on rec.bicycles.marketplace if you are in the US. someone might have a used pair. I've got quite a bit of stuff from there, sometimes at a pretty good price.

Nitromike

by Nitromike

norcal wrote:While this is not apples to apples, I bought a pair of the "Look" style Forte mag/ti pedals to replace my Look petals. Figured it was one of the cheapest ways to lighten my somewhat heavy Cannondale Cad 5 2000si. The weight difference you can feel in your hands. They are roughly 100+gms lighter at 250gms.
At this point they take a bit of twisting to get out of, even at the loosest of settings. (Fell at a light the first time out. :oops:
Otherwise they are good and cheep. Unfortunately the realization is upon me that I'm going to have to spend some seriously big money to drop much more weight. (I'm looking toward frames and cranks next.)

They most likely won't get any better, but rather worse. I had a set and over a period of about 1 month they got so bad that my left foot would no longer clip out whatever I did. Ended up swapping to a set of Look 357s .... not the lightest, but a great pedal.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

My Record Pro-fits also got stiff and difficult to get out of. I would spray the platform with teflon about every week or two and it got much better. But would get bad again if I didn't lube periodically.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

Have been riding with a pair of the Pro Mg/Ti SPD pedals for about two weeks (~350 miles) and they are just fine. Not only do they weigh 200g per pair but they are much easier to get into and out of than were my DA SPD pedals and Record Pro-Fit pedals. If they prove to be as reliable then they will have been the correct choice for me.

And whoever mentioned that the cleats that come with the pedals are better than the ones supplied by Shimano is correct. I had new Shimano SPD cleats on my shoes and they were difficult to get out of these pedals with. So I switched to the cleats that were supplied with the Pro Mg/Ti and entry and exit have become smooth as silk.

And the best part is that my final cost on these was $46.77 a pair. Can't touch that on any of the 'brand-name' high-end pedals.

norcal

by norcal

Same experience with the Look style Ti/mag pro Forte. Much better with the cleats that came in the box. Much easier to get into than the Look pedals, so I never get into that deer-in-the-headlight situation at stoplights where I have trouble getting into the pedals. Getting out still takes some concentrated effort, so I don't wait until I'm about to fall over before clicking out. Overall, very good pedals (lighter, better and cheaper than look.)
If i could only be riding now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com