T-Mobile Giant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

As SL points out, it's called trickle down. You design stuff for your highest profile people and then use that to then create your retail stuff. It's the same in race cars, motorcycles, boats, you name it!

It's also the same in bike compenents. I'll bet you a hundred bucks after the tour you will see the new lance aero bars being sold by Bontrager. They design the stuff for their big pro and then it trickles down to the retail market.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The new Advanced frame will have the same geometry as any TCR frame before. L will be 555mm seattube, 585mm toptube, 400mm seatstays. Just as they have always been.

To the Xterra guy: I am not responding to provocation. ;)

Superlite

by Superlite

The new Advanced frame will have the same geometry as any TCR frame before. L will be 555mm seattube, 585mm toptube, 400mm seatstays. Just as they have always been.

Says who? What did you do , go to giants site, copy the geometry for the TCR and asssume it's the same for the Advanced?

Geometry for that frame has not been published anywhere.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Superlite, relax and see that I'm using rhetoric because you do not listen. ;)

You say: 'It will be an all new frame, production will follow Ullrichs preferences', I say: 'Nope, nothing changes - the Advanced will be the lightest TCR frame - that's all'.

I will not continue here cause it's witless. Just wait and see.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Dr.Dos wrote:To the Xterra guy: I am not responding to provocation. ;)

I'm not trying to provoc........you claim to know this as a fact. Just want to know how you know this with such certainty.

divve

by divve

I'm not Giant expert but it looks like his frame could be made from aluminum to me:
Attachments
fatboy.jpg

Superlite

by Superlite

Yeah, Ullrich is riding an Alu frame in most races right now. Tour time he'll be riding the TCR Advanced.

Also, Zabel is riding aluminum, he doesn't like sloping geometry.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

so, this entire discussion, which started as a comparrison between Ulrich's frame and an ONCE carbn frame, was all for naught because Ulrich isn't even riding a carbon frame so they can make it however they want. Apparently, the joke is on us.

Superlite

by Superlite

so, this entire discussion, which started as a comparrison between Ulrich's frame and an ONCE carbn frame, was all for naught because Ulrich isn't even riding a carbon frame so they can make it however they want. Apparently, the joke is on us.

No, when it's tour time Ullrich will be riding the TCR Advanced. Expect him to use the aluminum on the long flat stages, TCR on mountain stages.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

SL....how do you know what Ullrich will be riding, and during what stages?? Sounds like you are Ullrich's personal spokesmen or want to be!

Superlite

by Superlite

SL....how do you know what Ullrich will be riding, and during what stages??

Common sense. Flat land stages he will ride a heavier, stronger frame. In the mountains he will ride the lightest frame possible. He has done this in the past, as do pretty much every rider in the tour. You know they have more then one bike! :shock:

In fact, Ullrich had a special frame while on Team Telekom and Bianchi for the mountains that was drawn from extra thin tubing to save weight, even though the result was a frame with flex. Wasn't an issue though as he is a diesel and powers it out in the saddle 99% of the time.

Smart ass.

Sounds like you are Ullrich's personal spokesmen or want to be!

Sure, why not. It would be an honor, and he is my favorite cyclist.
Last edited by Superlite on Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

smart ass.....who me?......boy that is calling the kettle black!!

Superlite

by Superlite

smart ass.....who me?......boy that is calling the kettle black!!

Your right, I ment dumbass.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

LOL......first of all "ment" is spelled meant. Boy Colorado colleges must really suck. So much anger SL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

The only thing changing on the TCR geometry is that Giant is extending the Chainstay lenght to 407mm to make the bike compatible with Triple chainset. They have already done this on the OCR Advanced

As for Ulrrich and special frames... at Telekom he only once got a special light frame for the mountains, and that was for the last year he was there. Which became the Prince SL, he still said in a report that he is looking forward to getting something light for the mountains as he has never had the luxury and a lot of the other riders get special bikes. I do not know what happened with Bianchi. But seeing they had the EV4 available it probably would not have been a problem