T-Mobile Giant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beeble

by Beeble

Is it just my imagination or is Ullrichs Giant frame a lot less slooping than last year Once.

How come? And the question arises: Is this really a Giant frame?

Joel

by Joel

Also nice carbon wheels on Ullrich's bike, no shimano :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

You are comparing a large to a small in both pictures, if you look at Liberty Seguros rider next t Ulrrich you will notice the rebranded Giant is a medium and brings it more into perspective. The large does not look that sloping as riders do not tend to use the very long seat-tubes

rohaimie

by rohaimie

yah,agreed with the comment on the wheelset.It that ADA wheelet? I thought T-mobile bikes should be using the Dura Ace wheelset??
italian bikes rules!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

.. the Liberty Seguros rider is still on a Giant Composite Bike even if his team is sponsored by BH bikes.

There are no custom Giant Composite Frames. Even Zabel didn't get one, instead he is forced to ride a custom aluminum bike matching his requirements.

Joel

by Joel

Definately no ADAs, I think Corima rims, but don't know which hub it is

Superlite

by Superlite

There are no custom Giant Composite Frames. Even Zabel didn't get one, instead he is forced to ride a custom aluminum bike matching his requirements.

Guess what? Giant invested a hefty sum to produce a TCR Advanced for Ulrich. Chaching! Thats alot of money!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Superlite wrote:

Guess what? Giant invested a hefty sum to produce a TCR Advanced for Ulrich. Chaching! Thats alot of money!

Sorry, but thats plain bs. There is no such thing as a custom Composite frame. And there is no such thing as a custom TCR Advanced frame. It's all prototype, pre-production or production material. There is nothing being made for Ullrich or any other rider.

Ullrich may be the first to show up with his new puppy but nevertheless it's all 'run-of-the-mill' regular stuff.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Dr.Dos wrote:Sorry, but thats plain bs. There is no such thing as a custom Composite frame. And there is no such thing as a custom TCR Advanced frame. It's all prototype, pre-production or production material. There is nothing being made for Ullrich or any other rider.

Ullrich may be the first to show up with his new puppy but nevertheless it's all 'run-of-the-mill' regular stuff.

No custom composit frames? Your smoking crack if you think that. Do you suppose Lance is riding a stock frame that came off the show room floor from some trek shop in Austin.

Guys like Jan and Lance have enough pull to be able to get anything they want. Hell Lance has a whole team at trek dedicated to nothing but designing custom stuff for him! The advantage is the trickle down effect Trek has with the stuff they design for him.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

We are talking Giant only. Giant does not build custom carbon fiber frames for anyone. That's an undeniable fact.

I don't know what Lance gets from Trek. But afaik Armstrong rides regular stuff too. He does get new frames first of course (ie the 110 OCLV frame or the new Madone SL). It's all the same geometry as the production frames, it's the same fibres. I'm almost positive it's the same frame as Joe Regular can buy at his friendly Trek dealer.
Last edited by Dr.Dos on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

yeah, as far as the trek example goes, hes right, Lance rides stack stuff, at least geometry wise. The reason why is the molds for the lugs are so expesive to make that it would be totally cost prohibitive for trek to modify them for specific riders. Now the tubes are a different story, hence the madone SL. The same lugs but different lighter tubes.

Superlite

by Superlite

We are talking Giant only. Giant does not build custom carbon fiber frames for anyone. That's an undeniable fact.

It's all the same geometry as the production frames, it's the same fibres. I'm almost positive it's the same frame as Joe Regular can buy at his friendly Trek dealer.

First of all, I have spoken to Giant Reps, and the have told me that they have invested a large amount of money in making a mold for Ullrich. The frame produced for him is goning to be Giants size large for the new TCR Advanced. Yeah, it's preproduction now, all the stuff pros ride is! :roll: Who do you think test new products?

If you know as much as you think you do you would know that Trek did the same thing with Armstrong, his frame that was sized and had geometry just for him is now Treks size 58cm.

Not only that, regardless of what trek says lances frame is custom. They use the same mold that they use for their production frames as they do for lance ( hell, they made that mold for him to begin with), but what is different from his frame and the stock 58cm frame is the layup of carbon fiber. They make the frame lighter, stronger, stiffer, or what ever Lance wants in his frame.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

There is no Giant custom frame. Once never got one single custom frame specifically made for any rider not even Jalabert, Beloki or Olano. There may be prototypes but it's not being made specifically for one rider. It's the same geometry that Giant uses for all of it's TCR frames and the same type/amount of fibres too.

Once the TCR Composite made it to a 'final production' status not a single custom frame has been made. I do not just believe it, I know it. So please stop guessing and quoting Giant Tech Reps. It's simply not true. ;)

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

So tell us all how it is that you "know" this to be fact? Give us a some proof that your not just spouting off.

Superlite

by Superlite

There is no Giant custom frame. Once never got one single custom frame specifically made for any rider not even Jalabert, Beloki or Olano. There may be prototypes but it's not being made specifically for one rider. It's the same geometry that Giant uses for all of it's TCR frames.

Once the TCR Composite made it to a 'final production' status not a single custom frame has been made. I do not just believe it, I know it. So please stop guessing and quoting Giant Tech Reps. It's simply not true.

Beleive what you want. Size L for the new TCR Advanced will be based off of Ullrichs geometry. Lances mold for the Madone, 5900, and now the Madone SL is tailored to his geometry and is sold as size 58cm.

Why is it so hard to beleive? Your not listening to what I am saying. The mold made for both lance and Ullrich isn't a mold JUST for them, as it would cost far too much. The mold is made to their geometry, and then they take that mold and apoint a size to it so that it can be used for their production framesets, otherwise they would be spending $250,000+ on a frame for one person.

In addition, they can tweak the layup for the riders to give the ride quality as they please. They are custom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com