Reynolds Alta Race clinchers??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fengshui

by Fengshui

My pair came in today. Was meant to be my brother's Christmas present. Did not count on him being at home when the postman arrived. So Christmas arrives early for him!

Weight according to my electronic kitchen scale is 680g front and 890g rear. Total 1570g.

The weight is inclusive of rim tapes so the weights without rim tapes are probably 1550g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonone

by simonone

I brought a pair of the Alta Race wheels in the summer. Weighed them last night after removing the decals (10g) and they came in at 1527g completely bare with no rim tape. That's on my digital kitchen scale with a 1g resolution. Front was 661g and rear was 866g.

domestique1

by domestique1

simonone wrote:I brought a pair of the Alta Race wheels in the summer. Weighed them last night after removing the decals (10g) and they came in at 1527g completely bare with no rim tape. That's on my digital kitchen scale with a 1g resolution. Front was 661g and rear was 866g.

Does your set have DT spokes or the Sapims? I'm asking because the set of Alta Race wheels I just bought do NOT have the sapims but have little "DT" on the spoke near the hub.

2mnyBikes

by 2mnyBikes

Hosehead wrote:
2mnyBikes wrote:Gotcha! I guess we'll find out about the same time if we scored a "real deal".

Let us know when they come, I'm interested!

My wheelset arrived, so here's the details.

Ordering from Blue Sky was simple and the wheels arrived in a few days in excellent packaging.

The listed weights in the ad are, Front 719g, Rear 904g. The actual weights came in at Front 700 grams, Rear 890 grams for a total weight of 1590 grams. Not too bad for wheels with a deep section rim, I confirmed that measurement as well.

So now I need to mount some tires, put them on my TST and see how they ride, probably this Saturday.

I've included some pictures below. Please note I didn't clean the wheels and the flash brought out some heavy duty dust that doesn't do the wheels justice.

Great Packaging

Side View of Wheel

Very Dusty Front Hub

Equally Dusty Rear Hub

Rim Depth

Skewers
'00 TiSports Titanium
'01 KHS Flite 800
‘02 Ellsworth Flight
'03 Basso Coral
'03 Specialized Allez Pro
'04 Scattante CFR Limited Edition
'05 KHS Flite 2000
'05 Serotta Fierte Steel
'06 Flyte SRS-3
'07 Pedal Force RS

anubis

by anubis

Are these alta race or comp? Because I thougt that the wheels with hidden nipples have CX-ray.

Recently I saw a picture from a set without hidden nipples, and they were 1560gr. Lighter than yours with hidden nipples.

I think there are no rules about those wheels. :?

2mnyBikes

by 2mnyBikes

anubis wrote:Are these alta race or comp? Because I thougt that the wheels with hidden nipples have CX-ray.

Recently I saw a picture from a set without hidden nipples, and they were 1560gr. Lighter than yours with hidden nipples.

I think there are no rules about those wheels. :?

They are Alta Aero Comp, and I agree that there appears to be no rules about these wheels. I bought them because of the price and Reynolds reputation for quality so I think I will be happy with the purchase. First road test will be this Saturday.
'00 TiSports Titanium
'01 KHS Flite 800
‘02 Ellsworth Flight
'03 Basso Coral
'05 KHS Flite 2000
'05 Serotta Fierte Steel
'06 Flyte SRS-3
'07 Pedal Force RS

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

What kind of hubs are in those wheels?

Provence

by Provence

They're Reynolds new sealed cartridge hubs. The copper coloured freehub looks great by the way, it's all in the details.
For if life, in the desire for which our essence and existence consists, possessed in itself a positive value and real content, there would be no such thing as boredom: mere existence would fufill and satisfy us.

Arthur Schopenhauer

simonone

by simonone

Does your set have DT spokes or the Sapims? I'm asking because the set of Alta Race wheels I just bought do NOT have the sapims but have little "DT" on the spoke near the hub.

I can't finding any identifying marks on the spokes. Guessing they must be the Sapim Laser/Race combo?

DC41

by DC41

simonone wrote:

I can't finding any identifying marks on the spokes. Guessing they must be the Sapim Laser/Race combo?

Check the head of the spoke. I just received some some Aero Comps and they have DT stamped on the head.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

2mnyBikes

by 2mnyBikes

My Reynolds Alta Aero Comp's are mounted and ready for their maiden voyage. I thought they would look great on my TST Titanium once the stickers were removed and now I think that was a good call. The Aero Comp's replaced a set of FSA RD-400's I've been running on the bike and I really like the way they look compared to the FSA's. The bike gained a total of 1.44 ounces after the change, which of course is totally meaningless.

Ride Report:

As I mentioned above, the Aero Comp's replace my FSA RD-400's which are the only wheels I have ever run on my TST. They are similar given they both have 24 spokes on the rear wheel and 20 on the front, but differ a bit in rim depth, 31 mm on the Aero Comp's and 27 mm on the FSA's. That being said, they do ride quite a bit differently. The Aero's are much stiffer with no noticeable flex which I can't say for the FSA's. Not a night and day difference, but very noticeable. Given that they are stiffer and don't really flex, you'd think the ride would be harsher than the FSA's, not true, they ride very smoothly and did not pass on much if any road chatter. Hubs are very smooth and roll nicely, the rear hub has a pleasant subdued clicking sound on coasting that is quieter than my Spinergy Xaero's or the hubs on my Primavera's.

All in all, for $229 I'm very, very happy. I got an upgrade in the ride on my TST and a solid upgrade in appearance as well.

Rear Wheel

Read Hub

Front Wheel

Front Hub

Full Bike
'00 TiSports Titanium
'01 KHS Flite 800
‘02 Ellsworth Flight
'03 Basso Coral
'05 KHS Flite 2000