Power meter options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

idickers

by idickers

I'm looking for suggestions on how to add a power meter to my road bike. When I was racing back in the '70's high-tech training at the amateur level consisted of long slow distance (LSD) supplemented with interval training, and heart-rate monitors were unheard-of. I'm not racing anymore but wouild like to try some of the more modern approaches to improve my fitness and riding.

I've been out of cycling for a few years, but am getting back into the sport and am building my frame up with a Campy Super Record 12-speed mechanical rim brake groupset, with Dura Ace pedals. I'd like to keep the equipment I just bought, so I'd like to know what options I have for getting power numbers from this base setup? So far I've been using a Garmin Fenix 6Pro watch to collect hr, mph, and distance but will probably upgrade to one of the Edge units for the bike.

Thanks for bringing an old guy up to speed!
Last edited by idickers on Sun May 28, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

The options sucks on Campagnolo. There are the $1500-2000+ cranksets (Power2Max and SRM). A Stages left side for Campagnolo is $800-900. The 4iiii factory install power meter is the most economical at $299 but they only support Super Record 12 right now and you have to mail them your crankarm.

The most reasonable and reliable Campagnolo power meter is probably pedals. People seem to love the Assiomas.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Yes. Send back the Dura Ace pedals and get a pair of Assiomas.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

As mentioned, your Campagnolo options are quite limited..In order to keep that lovely Super Record 12s crank, I would go with a set of Assioma Duos... I have tested mine against my Campag SRM, and my Tacx Neo and the Assioma's are dead on... just make sure that you set them up properly (and by that I mean use the app to set your crank length, make sure they are in the proper mode) Its a 10 second job..

user83843

by user83843

Assioma stack height is too high imo. Go with a crank based system

nickf

by nickf

If I had to start over on my road bike setups I would be on the Wahoo Speedplay power pedals. Easy to swap around to different bikes and is a nice lightweight option.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

user83843 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:43 pm
Did you read the OP? Doesn't want to swap out too much stuff.

idickers

by idickers

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate the education.

As for swapping stuff, I might concede the pedals, but want to keep the Campy SR drivetrain. So additons would be fine.

AZR3

by AZR3

Just get the Assioma Duos, dead reliable (had mine since 2018 and they've been rock solid) and if you get another bike no worries about compatibility

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

user83843 wrote:

10.5mm is too much stack?

AZR3

by AZR3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:31 pm
user83843 wrote:

Maybe he meant Q factor for the DUO-Shi version?

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Was in the same situation as you with Campag, and the Favero Assiomas were the easiest option. Three years later, o have no regrets.

Yoln

by Yoln

Having several campy SR12 builds in the house I would say that the overpriced but nicest option is the P2Max, but I struggle to really see much added value versus my bike equiped with 4iiii.

My wife runs the assioma pedals, I personally can't stand the spring retention of the Assioma that feels like the cheapest Keo pedals, and stay away from them, but they do the job.

If I had to start with a new build, 4iiii would be my choice. Reliable, accurate, great battery life and way lighter than other options mentionned above. And you can run nice (and light) pedals with it
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

tomato

by tomato

idickers wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:06 pm
I'm looking for suggestions on how to add a power meter to my road bike ... am building my frame up with a Campy Super Record 12-speed mechanical rim brake groupset, with Dura Ace pedals. I'd like to keep the equipment I just bought, so I'd like to know what options I have for getting power numbers from this base setup?
I've got 4 Campy equipped bikes hanging in the garage with power meters from Power2Max, Vector, Stages, and PowerTap. When I need another, I'll likely go with Garmin Rally (nee Vector).

Prippo

by Prippo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:31 pm
user83843 wrote:

Taking the cleat into account the stack is 17.9mm if I am not mistaken.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com