Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

man1ac

by man1ac

gurk700 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:53 am
man1ac wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Finally put the credit card down and bought the SL8.
The Roval handlebar is very aweful to get, so are there any other recommendations on which 1piece cockpit looks almost the same and is easier to get?
EXS Aerover. Except that's impossible to get too :lol:
ahahhah :D yeah. thanks. in a way :D

Maybe you? anyone can help in another way: What DI2 Cable lengths would I need for a 52 and 54 frame? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

man1ac wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:38 am
gurk700 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:53 am
man1ac wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Finally put the credit card down and bought the SL8.
The Roval handlebar is very aweful to get, so are there any other recommendations on which 1piece cockpit looks almost the same and is easier to get?
EXS Aerover. Except that's impossible to get too :lol:
ahahhah :D yeah. thanks. in a way :D

Maybe you? anyone can help in another way: What DI2 Cable lengths would I need for a 52 and 54 frame? :D
I've only used the default 2 cables that shipped with my 9200 groups. They are 1200 and 900. More than enough. So if you wanna optimize and go short as possible, I really don't know.

gurk700

by gurk700

Too lazy to make a new thread these days so I'll post here.

After hating the spy photos last year, and liking it quite a lot in person, I guess it's been on my mind for a while... Owned an SL4, SL6 (rim and disc) and SL7 before so no stranger to Tarmacs. So made a horribly, horribly irresponsible but wonderful decision.
:noidea: :beerchug: :mrgreen:

Fun story. Literally finished it building today and went out to ride.
12 minutes into the ride I was hit / sideswiped by a car turning right with no blinkers. I reacted super fast and started turning right with him but he turned so fast and sharp at the last minute that he hit me.
Just before hitting I yelled "whoa" while turning with him. Thankfully he heard me took a sharp left turn to avoid more contact and stopped. My front wheel was a tiny bit off the ground and my body was on the car so when the front landed, I was literally on my way down with my balance all out of whack. I don't exactly know what I did, intuition / survival / reflexes kicked in and counter steered the thing somehow regained balance and keep it upright.

He was very apologetic and offered his info but there was literally not 1 scratch on the bike. My arm is a little swollen but it's nothing serious. Just a bruise.

Kept riding another 2.5hrs after that and did my intervals on my favorite hill.

I forgot how amazing Tarmacs ride.

- Descending on this thing is a blast.
- Handling is razor sharp. Not twitchy but QUICK to turn.
- People say it's stiff and not the most comfortable but same wheels as my Lab71, same tires, same saddle, I feel nothing different. I do feel more directness to it when you pedal. It's as if every part of the bike is moving in unison instead of twisting and turning. Maybe stiff in different ways than the Lab71 but in no way feels any different in comfort to me as any modern bike hasn't in recent years.
- I'm really enjoying riding a one-piece bar again after months of riding two piece. God damn it's so nice. Thanks @dudemanppl for the EXS
- Unrelated to the bike but I've been riding metal brake pads for a long while now. This 9200 group that's been sitting in a box has resin pads (didn't know). My god I love the feel. I wonder what hybrid ones are like. Hotter months might be a different story but I'll enjoy them as it's still in the 60's and low 70's for the most part.

I got a set of 50mm Farsports coming soon for it. I'll be running those with the new Enve Raceday 29 tires first. If I don't love those, Continental TT is next.

The weight is 6.9kg at the moment with cages, pedals and computer mount btw. It's a lot for this bike but HED's weigh 1420 grams (tactic hubs) vs FS on the way 1200 grams.
I also have an insane amount of Sealant in both tires. Like.... 100ml or something each. That's 200gr lol. Probably could live with 30ml each which would save 140gr. They are older tires and I don't wanna get stuck on the road so I figured it'd be extra insurance. (i don't carry tubes just dyna plugs)

Anyway. Let's hope I keep this until at least SL9 is out :mrgreen:

nonamed

by nonamed

gurk700 wrote:Too lazy to make a new thread these days so I'll post here.

After hating the spy photos last year, and liking it quite a lot in person, I guess it's been on my mind for a while... Owned an SL4, SL6 (rim and disc) and SL7 before so no stranger to Tarmacs. So made a horribly, horribly irresponsible but wonderful decision.
:noidea: :beerchug: :mrgreen:

Fun story. Literally finished it building today and went out to ride.
12 minutes into the ride I was hit / sideswiped by a car turning right with no blinkers. I reacted super fast and started turning right with him but he turned so fast and sharp at the last minute that he hit me.
Just before hitting I yelled "whoa" while turning with him. Thankfully he heard me took a sharp left turn to avoid more contact and stopped. My front wheel was a tiny bit off the ground and my body was on the car so when the front landed, I was literally on my way down with my balance all out of whack. I don't exactly know what I did, intuition / survival / reflexes kicked in and counter steered the thing somehow regained balance and keep it upright.

He was very apologetic and offered his info but there was literally not 1 scratch on the bike. My arm is a little swollen but it's nothing serious. Just a bruise.

Kept riding another 2.5hrs after that and did my intervals on my favorite hill.

I forgot how amazing Tarmacs ride.

- Descending on this thing is a blast.
- Handling is razor sharp. Not twitchy but QUICK to turn.
- People say it's stiff and not the most comfortable but same wheels as my Lab71, same tires, same saddle, I feel nothing different. I do feel more directness to it when you pedal. It's as if every part of the bike is moving in unison instead of twisting and turning. Maybe stiff in different ways than the Lab71 but in no way feels any different in comfort to me as any modern bike hasn't in recent years.
- I'm really enjoying riding a one-piece bar again after months of riding two piece. God damn it's so nice. Thanks @dudemanppl for the EXS
- Unrelated to the bike but I've been riding metal brake pads for a long while now. This 9200 group that's been sitting in a box has resin pads (didn't know). My god I love the feel. I wonder what hybrid ones are like. Hotter months might be a different story but I'll enjoy them as it's still in the 60's and low 70's for the most part.

I got a set of 50mm Farsports coming soon for it. I'll be running those with the new Enve Raceday 29 tires first. If I don't love those, Continental TT is next.

The weight is 6.9kg at the moment with cages, pedals and computer mount btw. It's a lot for this bike but HED's weigh 1420 grams (tactic hubs) vs FS on the way 1200 grams.
I also have an insane amount of Sealant in both tires. Like.... 100ml or something each. That's 200gr lol. Probably could live with 30ml each which would save 140gr. They are older tires and I don't wanna get stuck on the road so I figured it'd be extra insurance. (i don't carry tubes just dyna plugs)

Anyway. Let's hope I keep this until at least SL9 is out :mrgreen:
Do you know the frame weight? As I believe this gloosy white should be quite heavy - at least many people assume that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gurk700

by gurk700

nonamed wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:33 am
Do you know the frame weight? As I believe this gloosy white should be quite heavy - at least many people assume that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It probably is the heaviest variation. I put it on the scale and checked and went "cool" and completely forgot what it was. Wanna say 742? but not 100%
My Lab71 with 120ml / grams total sealant in the tires (same wheels and tires before I put more sealant in) and same everything else (9200, ceramicspeed stuff, saddle, Faveros, crankset) but with ~140 grams heavier cockpit was 6.94. So white S-works SL8 frameset might be heavier than all black Lab71.

Honestly these days I just care about 6.8. I LOVE the white frameset so that was a priority for me.
This one in the end will be around 6.5 or something. 6.3 if I swap cranks but at the moment I'm not planning on that.

justonwo

by justonwo

Has anyone else heard rumors of two new colors coming for the S-Works SL8? My local dealer said something is in the works but he doesn't have the specifics yet.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

OtterSpace wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:20 pm
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:49 pm
Sorry to bother again with the derailleur hanger topic.
Today i received the replacement part. Suitable for Sram as well as Campagnolo. It seems to be identical to the oem derailleur hanger, which should be a "standard mount" type.
There is a Campag direct mount standard but from memory its slightly different in terms of how the b-screw lands. Basically all direct mount hangers are designed to the Shimano standard but some can work with Campag. I would ask in one the of Campag threads as people who follow those threads likely have better feedback than SL8 owners.

The type you show photos of are a standard non direct mount.
Thanks for the feedback as well as the explaination. I will bring up the argument in the Campag thread.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

justonwo wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:34 pm
Has anyone else heard rumors of two new colors coming for the S-Works SL8? My local dealer said something is in the works but he doesn't have the specifics yet.
I imagine that at least 1 will be the Red Bull Bora colorway....

bcarvalho

by bcarvalho

boyce89976 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:46 am
Took some measurements today after messing with centering the front wheel. Basically, I put the front wheel between my knees and pulled the bike toward the DS, while pushing the wheel toward to NDS while torqueing it down. Was able to get it almost perfectly centered, but I'll be surprised if it stays there over the course of a ride.

8mm on the DS,
7.5mm on the NDS

Or, 6mm and 5.5mm at the top of the ruler.

I took the measurements from the top edge of the front rim on both sides with the ruler flat against the fork. That way I had a vertical and horizontal control surface.

IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG

I'm waking up this topic because I came up with the conclusion that it was not a front wheel problem (CRW 5055), it is a fork design or quality issue. (Huge thumbs up for Panda Podium and Craft Racing Works for the amazing support)

LBS owner is ignorant and doesn't really know if the fork was designed like this or it's a quality problem. He told me he would contact specialized and would give me feedback after. Checked an SL8 at LBS and bamm! DS deviation! Searched at the internet and nothing besides here has this issue as an open topic. Did a search at Google and found some front pics in which same deviation is seen (attached).

Ive already rode 1000 KMS and didn't really felt any difference at riding quality and I'm happy with the bike.

I'm just posting because I'm really curious and would like to know if this deviation is by design.

Thanks all!
Attachments
IMG_20240602_221303.jpg
IMG_20240602_221241.jpg
IMG_20240602_221225.jpg

gurk700

by gurk700

bcarvalho wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:15 pm
I'm waking up this topic because I came up with the conclusion that it was not a front wheel problem (CRW 5055), it is a fork design or quality issue. (Huge thumbs up for Panda Podium and Craft Racing Works for the amazing support)

LBS owner is ignorant and doesn't really know if the fork was designed like this or it's a quality problem. He told me he would contact specialized and would give me feedback after. Checked an SL8 at LBS and bamm! DS deviation! Searched at the internet and nothing besides here has this issue as an open topic. Did a search at Google and found some front pics in which same deviation is seen (attached).

Ive already rode 1000 KMS and didn't really felt any difference at riding quality and I'm happy with the bike.

I'm just posting because I'm really curious and would like to know if this deviation is by design.

Thanks all!
Just checked and I definitely have it too!
However after feeling how good it rides yesterday, I don't really care :mrgreen:

boyce89976

by boyce89976

bcarvalho wrote:
boyce89976 wrote:
Took some measurements today after messing with centering the front wheel. Basically, I put the front wheel between my knees and pulled the bike toward the DS, while pushing the wheel toward to NDS while torqueing it down. Was able to get it almost perfectly centered, but I'll be surprised if it stays there over the course of a ride.

8mm on the DS,
7.5mm on the NDS

I took the measurements from the top edge of the front rim on both sides with the ruler flat against the fork. That way I had a vertical and horizontal control surface.

IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG

Thanks all!
I have not talked to my LBS about it because I haven't had time. Now I'm 2 weeks post rotator cuff repair, with 4 more weeks to go in a sling, so it wob't be anytime soon either.

The other reason... It doesnt really bother me. I don't notice it while riding, and the bike doesn't seem to be negatively effected in any way.

Having said that, the problem seems to be a very slight height difference between the two through axle holes at the bottom of the fork, essentially causing the wheel to mount slightly off-center vertically.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I contacted Specialized U.S.A. and received a response. I posted the response some pages back. If you see a significant deviation, first check the wheel's dish. If the dish is perfect then there's a problem with the fork. A perfectly dished wheel will show a small deviation, and that's perfectly normal!

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

boyce89976 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:26 am
bcarvalho wrote:
boyce89976 wrote:

8mm on the DS,
7.5mm on the NDS

IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG

Thanks all!
I have not talked to my LBS about it because I haven't had time. Now I'm 2 weeks post rotator cuff repair, with 4 more weeks to go in a sling, so it wob't be anytime soon either.

The other reason... It doesnt really bother me. I don't notice it while riding, and the bike doesn't seem to be negatively effected in any way.

Having said that, the problem seems to be a very slight height difference between the two through axle holes at the bottom of the fork, essentially causing the wheel to mount slightly off-center vertically.
I was thinking the same.

In my SL7, the axle of the wheel "bottoms out" and the axle slides straight through.

In my SL8 I have to drop the DS of the wheel slightly to engage the thru axle.

Whether this is a feature or a bug, still remains to be seen!

bcarvalho

by bcarvalho

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:28 am
I contacted Specialized U.S.A. and received a response. I posted the response some pages back. If you see a significant deviation, first check the wheel's dish. If the dish is perfect then there's a problem with the fork. A perfectly dished wheel will show a small deviation, and that's perfectly normal!
Yep I could remember your post and thanks for the contribution.

My point here is is this a feature or a bug?
And what's a significant deviation. I'm a enginer and I like objective numbers hehehe.

The more I look the more the wheel is centered to the frame and if it would be centered at the for I think it wouldnt be centered with the fork.

Anyways as some others say, how the bike rides make me forget this and I'm really happy with the bike. I can say best frame ever I've rode.

Attached is a pic of the build. Sorry about the quality but I already had some 150 KMS with 4k of elevation heheheh and just stopped for a cola and coffee combo
Attachments
IMG20240531134635.jpg

man1ac

by man1ac

Has anyone heared of or any experience of a Warranty Case of a Bike that has been bought in a different country? I am currently on summer vacation in Portugal and found a pretty nice deal on a bike. The shop would even ship it for free to my home country (Germany).
I am kinda uncertain what happens if I have a warranty issue. Shipping the bike to portugal back and forth will be kinda expensive :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com