2 Different Colours for the Dura ace 9100 Chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

Sorry for such a lame topic but I was wondering if anyone knows why these 53t chainrings are different colours. They have come off 2 indentical cranksets.

They are both heavily used and at first I thought it was UV colour fading kinda thing, but the transition to black still remains on the ligher one and lines up with the cranks which are both equally dark.

The text on the rings differs in size, but are identical in every other regard.

They both appear lighter in the image, for context the right ring is by eye a very dark grey.

Anyway! Thanks for any help in advanced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I'm not sure, but my money would be on the UV fading theory. I've got a couple pairs of the 9100 cranks, and the outer rings look to be the same color to me, and I've not heard of different colors being produced. When the sun/atmosphere/chemicals fade an anodized or painted surface, the different shades/colors can fade at different rates. I suppose its possible that different batches had different anodization and resulting different colors, but I would expect such differences to be relatively subtle.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Following that up, I just noticed that in the photo, at least, it appears that the area of the teeth on the left chainring may only be faded halfway round (darker on the lower right side/lighter on the upper left side). If that is the case in real life, that could be due to the fact that the chainring was protected from the sun by the chain (on the big ring), which would fade the other half of the chainring teeth area, but not the part covered by the chain. Is it possible that the bike/chainring was exposed to sun for a long period of time when static (say, on display or stored near a window or glass door)?

milanv

by milanv

Are they trully both original?

damond

by damond

They are from different batches and that's it.

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

milanv wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:51 am
Are they trully both original?
I did purchase them both used, but they are identical, and the same weight. Surley too impressive / complex to be a fake ? :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm
Following that up, I just noticed that in the photo, at least, it appears that the area of the teeth on the left chainring may only be faded halfway round (darker on the lower right side/lighter on the upper left side). If that is the case in real life, that could be due to the fact that the chainring was protected from the sun by the chain (on the big ring), which would fade the other half of the chainring teeth area, but not the part covered by the chain. Is it possible that the bike/chainring was exposed to sun for a long period of time when static (say, on display or stored near a window or glass door)?
I like this theory. But the cranks and darker parts aren't any lighter and the colour is more uniform in person. I have a new theory, earlier of the chainset had been lighter?

Just looking at articles released around the chainset back in 2017/18 the rings are a grey colour? But if thats true why has no one mentioned it hmm. :?