Best rim brake bike you've ever ridden

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Woland

by Woland

2016 BMC teammachine SLR01. I rode one for five years and still regret selling it. I doubt I'll ever come across another bike as great as the SLR01.

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

cannondale7om wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 am
Supersix EVO, definitely
Beautful!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

My C59 in MTBK. Hands down the best frame I've ever ridden. It's currently decked out in EPS and Bora Ultra 35 tubs. I've owned many high end bikes before it and many after, but the C59 rules and it still gets 'oooohs' from onlookers.

reknop

by reknop

Juanmoretime wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:10 pm
Best? Rather subjective to each individuals preferences. With that said the finest was the Lynskey R320 that I should have never sold. At least a friend is riding it and loving it as much as I did. I do have a Blue AC-1 that is fun to ride but my Litepseed T3 disc is better and on par with the Lynskey and titanium gives me the feedback that has me smiling every time I ride it.
And subjective due to bike fitting and biomechanics. The best fitting bike in terms of allround, handling, weight would be the Giant TCR Advanced SL road bike. Perfectly fits to my body in size M. :-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wilwil

by wilwil

Colnago C64.

r1der

by r1der

Currently I ride a Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Rim. It ticks almost all of my boxes.
Its heavy, but rides a like a steel frame and feels fast. I like it more than my rather harsh Dogmas (K8/K10).

My old Look 585 is insanely comfortable, yet agile. Strava says its not that fast though.

Third place Basso Diamante 2019 for its stiffness and solidity.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I really dont get why there is so much love for Cannondale SS EVO HMs. I had one, did a bunch of kms on one. They are good, but they arent special. In fact I would go so far as to say their subdued ride is a bit boring!

Best overall: Storck F.3 - light, comfy, stiff
Almost indistinguishable second: Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL6
Nostalgia favourite: Bianchi Oltre XR2

Honourable mentions:
Sarto Seta
Enigma Elite HSS (steel is a different category tho)
The original Ridley Noah - did a a lot of kms on that one.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

micky

by micky

Although I love my actual C64, my old Canyon CF SLX had probably the best ride feedback.

eli76141

by eli76141

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 pm
I really dont get why there is so much love for Cannondale SS EVO HMs. I had one, did a bunch of kms on one. They are good, but they arent special. In fact I would go so far as to say their subdued ride is a bit boring!
I agree, it's not that it is special. There are a lot of nice bikes out there. But SS Evo HM just ticks so many boxes. It's stiff, light, comfortable yet aggressive (low headtube) and corners like it's on rails. It's built right with dual pivot brakes instead of direct mount, 27.2 mm seatpost (1. gen), 1 1/8 steerer, and it has a near horizontal toptube, which just looks good. The only thing wrong with that bike is BB30. After todays standards it needs to be more aero as well. But at the time it was almost perfect compared to what else was out there.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

For me the Colnago C60. I got it down under 14 pounds with nothing exotic. It flipping flew up climbs, maybe I had something to do with it! ;)

**Has anyone ridden a BMC Impec?

This thread is like a shopping list for me lol.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I've never ridden one, but Cervelo RCA has to be pretty high up on the list

Mjolnir2k

by Mjolnir2k

Specialized S Works SL6

Wilier Zero.7

defride

by defride

sigma wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:50 pm
Best Climber and best handling = Cannondale Black inc SS Evo (HM) c 2015-2016; the last rim brake iteration and the bike I wish I had never sold.
Still have my 2015 Black inc Evo. While I'm in the market for a new bike I struggle with the thought that whatever I get it's unlikely to ride as nice so continue to provaricate... maybe just get some new wheels for the Black? They're getting hard to source, clearance at the c/stay is poor, wide modern wheels are too big. In any case won't be selling it.

Having had a 2015 SS HM Evo aswell, good as that bike is the Black rides nicer.

Must be up there among the great rim brake road bikes

tarmackev

by tarmackev

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 pm

Best overall: Storck F.3 - light, comfy, stiff
Almost indistinguishable second: Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL6
Nostalgia favourite: Bianchi Oltre XR2

Honourable mentions:
Sarto Seta
Enigma Elite HSS (steel is a different category tho)
The original Ridley Noah - did a a lot of kms on that one.
I had one great Supersix. The rest I've ridden have been good but like you say not super special. I LOVED the CAAD 10. I had a few and in a 56 they felt great. I'm always on the look out for one in the Racing silver and red colour.

fa63

by fa63

I will put in another vote for SS Evo. I had a 2018 with the skinny seatpost and the ride was sublime.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com