Saddle advice: fighting numbness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ivan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:49 am
OK, first of all, thanks for all the advice. Yes, it's a weird and unpleasant problem to solve.

I've tried tilting my saddle both up and down (the nose) but this causes me to have lower back problems. I've been riding my saddles spot-on level for as long as I can remember and maybe I've adjusted myself to it. Anyway, never had lower back problems and don't want to go down that route. Tilting no option.

Second, tried sliding my saddle back and forth and mainly sliding my saddle back (more saddle to bar distance) seems to have an impact. The time it takes to go numb seems to be substantially longer. Right now, I am in the process of trying this solution with both my ISM saddle and my Pro Stealth.

Next step might be trying a new saddle. @Steve Curtis: you have any link for the Superflow Aliexpress version? Thanks

What I am also doing is lifting my butt in the air more often while riding, as a temporary quick fix. Do I feel a direct improvement "down there"? Sadly not, I fear that 20 years of numbness is not solved in a few weeks...
No matter what, the load must be somewhere, you just need to find where it's best for you.
Some are ok having much weight on rami, some sitbones. I for one can't load the region between ball sack and butt crack.
So i need an open saddle (call it cut out or whatever you like).
ISM did sadly give me nasty blisters at the inner thigh, they're all a bit to wide for me.
Otherwise i like the widest possible. Tail up causes issues for me. I wish Pro Aerofuel had no tail up (it has, in the end of the shell).
My dream saddle to try would be Wove V8. It seems heavily influenced by Aerofuel but no tail up.
Sadly this saddle taxed, would cost me about 1000 USD. Saddle alone excluding shipping and flushed through customs is 600 USD.
Wildly crazy, i would buy it if i knew it was the holy grail. But i have now been on over 30 saddles and i admit, none of them is the holy grail..
I understand you and looking at how much i have spent so far i guess you understand that i am honest saying, try try and try some more.
Who knows, maybe you have some luck finding what is key 8)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Maddie

by Maddie

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:29 pm
But i have now been on over 30 saddles and i admit, none of them is the holy grail..
I understand you and looking at how much i have spent so far i guess you understand that i am honest saying, try try and try some more.
If you went through 30 saddles and still haven't found your holy grail, then I'd strongly suggest a different approach. Instead of just buying the next saddle and praying or hoping that it will work, why not spend some time with a professional and reputable bike fitter who works with saddle pressure mappings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

Maddie wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:46 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
But i have now been on over 30 saddles and i admit, none of them is the holy grail..
If you went through 30 saddles and still haven't found your holy grail, then I'd strongly suggest a different approach. Instead of just buying the next saddle and praying or hoping that it will work, why not spend some time with a professional and reputable bike fitter who works with saddle pressure mappings?
I was happy after cca 25 pieces and models - Pro Stealth Curved Team.

Ivan

by Ivan

I've opened a post in the wanted section but will also post here, just to increase my options. I am looking for an Infinity Saddle, either used, worn out, second hand. I am even prepared to send it back after a testing period (indoor trainer only) just to try it out before I buy a new one. This also means, the problems has not been solved in the mean time. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

wilwil

by wilwil

Maddie wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
I did that and was sold a Bontrager Montrose which didnt work for me. The most uncomfortable saddle though was a Selle Italia Superflow which ruined a cycling holiday in Spain. The old full length Romins arent too bad. The Spec Mirror is okay except it digs into my groin and is expensive. The Prologo Dimension isnt too bad. A friend swears by Infinity. Ive been through at least 30 saddles and Im resigned to the fact Ill never be that comfortable on a bike. When I first started cycling I experienced numbness and certainly didn't wait long to fix it. I bought a Romin. Its amazing how many people think its normal.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm
OK, sorry, forgot to mention. I had a professional bike fit, numerous ones to be honest. A few as part of being in a road racing team (many moons ago) and the last one to adress the issue a few years back. All of them were within a few mm difference. I am now riding a sort of "average" position based on those. Also, the Canyon CF SLX I am riding now was the best fit for me but with the seatpost swapped for a non-setback. I can try shifting the saddle forward a bit but there isn't much room left.
I have struggled for years with kneepain and never got comfortable on saddles. I have searched for a long time. Most saddles I have the impression that they push my sitbones outward. Enter selle italia flite boost. Completely flat front to back and left to right. Maximum support and I have not pressure issues anymore. It allowed me to drop my bar further not to -11cm

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Ivan wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:07 am
I've opened a post in the wanted section but will also post here, just to increase my options. I am looking for an Infinity Saddle, either used, worn out, second hand. I am even prepared to send it back after a testing period (indoor trainer only) just to try it out before I buy a new one. This also means, the problems has not been solved in the mean time. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
I think you are on the right track. I have spent a few thousand km on Infinity saddles since your original post, and if numbness is the issue, than Infinity is your best bet. While numbness is not my issue, I just don't see how the Infinity could cause Pudendal nerve entrapment related numbness - there just is nothing pressing in that area. Like sitting on a toilet.

A few notes.
The model you are after is the E2. As earlier indicated, anyone who rides in a remotely agressive position will want to lower the nose to near level. Be advised that many seatposts will not accomodate that amount of tilt. The best seatpost clamp mechanism for the Infinity saddle is the single bolt sort that used by Trek/Bontrager (and others).

Also your size can have a big impact on your experience. I am 183cm, 77kg, 83cm waist. I can tell that if my ass/hips/pelvis were any bigger, that the longitudinal radius of the saddle might be a poor match for my undercairrage. This could result in the sensation that the nose of the saddle curves up to abrubtly giving a bit too much pressure just posterior to the scrotum. This won't result in numbness as the pudendal nerve is still well clear, just less then the sublime comfort that is possible. I experience a bit of this if I set the nose too high.

At some point I should post a comprehensize review.

Shame they are so expensive. I run them on 3 out of 5 bikes, with another on the way - I feel your pain. Where are you located? I might know someone who can help.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pushpush

by pushpush

I struggled with some numbness and for a while tried all sorts of saddle adjustments, swapping saddles, and so on.

As a result of a totally unrelated injury I started stretching a LOT more, specifically working to get more mobility from my lower back. My saddle numbness nearly vanished along with a reduction in a minor knee issue. My back also feels better most of the time.

Perhaps limbering up and getting your body into a different position might help. Not as easy as swapping a saddle, but something to consider.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Don't underestimate the possibility of the pad in your bib shorts being in the wrong position.

It varies by bib design/maker, but I also have to make a conscious effort to pull my bibs in in a manner that pulls the pad up towards the front of my body.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I struggle with the same problem as the OP. 15+ years on the road, 30+ saddles, 6 professional fits, 10 bikes, plenty of fitness and flexibility ... always serious numbness. It really takes the fun out of riding.
Enter selle italia flite boost. Completely flat front to back and left to right. Maximum support and I have not pressure issues anymore. It allowed me to drop my bar further not to -11cm
Which Flite worked for you? https://www.selleitalia.com/saddles/road/flite/

The Infinity looks promising but it will be an expensive experiment. I tried an SQ Lab breifly and didn't like it but maybe that design deserves another try since in theory it should be exactly what I need. @Mr.Gib any suggestions on which model to try?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

RedRacer wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:45 am
I tried an SQ Lab breifly and didn't like it but maybe that design deserves another try since in theory it should be exactly what I need. @Mr.Gib any suggestions on which model to try?
612 Ergowave is the basic road model, some find it a bit wide, particularely in the nose. The R version is a bit shorter and narrower. If you want something a bit softer, the 610 Ergolux is interesting because it has the most pronounced shelf(s). The problem is that the Ergolux is now only available in the "Active" version which included a polymer damper which make it quite heavy. Although with serious saddle contact issues, I assume saddle weight is low priority. The 610 Ergolux is listed as a mtb/touring saddle, but I do use it on the road and find it perfectly suitable for all positions including full aero. I prefer it to the firmer 612 for longer rides, or if I am riding slowly (which is happening a lot more often these days :D )
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Maddie wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
I don't sit still and i also don't sit same at an indoor trainer as i do while actually cycling. I had an answer to this and it was about muscle reqruitment being different.
Best saddle would be Pro Aerofuel with no tail up which it has in the shell. Have been looking at Wove V8, but it's about 1000 USD all in all shipped and taxed.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Wove Bike has released a new model - the Mags. It might be worth a look:

https://wovebike.com/mags

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Go and watch 'Bike fit Tuesdays' on You Tube.....Quite an eye opener, and says some things which may annoy people. Saddles, bikes, fit are all connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdU2nr_ ... =CadeMedia
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BenSiskri wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:48 am
Go and watch 'Bike fit Tuesdays' on You Tube.....Quite an eye opener, and says some things which may annoy people. Saddles, bikes, fit are all connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdU2nr_ ... =CadeMedia
Yeah, but is this new to most people here?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com