Quarq Dzero vs Magene P505 Power Meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrStop

by MrStop

I'm considering adding a spider based power meter to SRAM RED AXS DUB D1 crankarms. I would like something compatible with 110BCD chainrings to give me more options. Price being equal or similar (currently ~$350 USD for either), any thoughts on the Quarq Dzero vs Magene P505? The Magene P505 is new, but has a favorable review from GP Lama:

I do like how the Magene is compatible with a variety of chainrings so you aren't forced into one standard like the Quarq. On the other hand I like that the Quarq has a replaceable button battery versus an assumed non-replaceable rechargeable battery for longetitvity. The Quarq is part of a large brand and, in theory, should have better support and development. However, I have read of catastrophic failures of the DZero on chain drops.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I'm using several DZeros for six years now and have no complaints. Road, CX, Mtb - they're reliable, accurate and have Sram service/support.
I had many chaindrops but only once it damaged the powermeter. Send it back to the dealer and 6 working days later, i received a new unit.
With the price coming down, the DZero package price-performance is hard to beat in my opinion.

The Magene might be equally good, but the fact that i need to order it from china without local support or after sales service makes it unattractive to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

For the same price, having a local warranty / support from SRAM would make me choose the Quarq any day.

MrStop

by MrStop

Thanks. I think that is where I have landed as well.

milanv

by milanv

I vote for Quarqs, 3 pieces at the moment, one of them with RED D1 cranks, no problems, autocalibration, consistent data, no power drops.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have the P505 ready to mount on my next build - will post some details once it’s up and running.

The buying experience was good though; £235 landed cost + quick shipping (albeit I did get it sent to a friend in France as the price was slightly less).

One reason I bought it was The ability to use 4 and 5 arm chainrings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrStop

by MrStop

I really like the universal chainring mount of the Magene. It's nice to have the options when it's time to switch things up. I ended picking up the Quarq so look forward to your experience.

gruppetto

by gruppetto

I bought two P505. Not for SRAM but Rotor. So far my experience is not as good as GPLama's and the power readings are pretty inconsistent, but most of the time too high. Comparing with Assioma Duos and a Tacx Neo.

MrStop

by MrStop

Sorry to hear that and its disappointing.

I picked up a lightly used Quark Dzero and besides needing a battery it has been fantastic so far. I don't have another meter to compare it to, but the reported power seems in the neighborhood of my efforts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

awinner

by awinner

gruppetto wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:39 pm
I bought two P505. Not for SRAM but Rotor. So far my experience is not as good as GPLama's and the power readings are pretty inconsistent, but most of the time too high. Comparing with Assioma Duos and a Tacx Neo.
I bought the P505-S1103 and i run it on CVR hardrock cranks (i prefer a 24mm steel spindle). Works flawlessly for me, Ive checked it against my Neo 2T and freqently check it against previous segments i have done on the road with Garmin Vector 3. Ive got no complaints, came very cheap with the chinese new year specials too.