Who do you trust?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Hambini is too high on his own farts for me. Peak Torque is tolerable but still seems to make it a priority to let everyone know he's the smartest guy in the room. Would love the info both provide without the "I'm here to save you from Big Bike" messiah complex. But the algorithm (and seemingly a lot of their viewers) reward saviors

Internet forums (particularly WW) are pretty damn good, especially for specific questions and long term impressions. YouTube is an entertainment platform first, and if you're lucky, an information platform second.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Andrew69 wrote:
CampagYOLO wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:37 pm
MilesG813 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:12 pm
froze wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:10 am
; the guy on the rim brake bike was using straight CF rim with no AL brake track, and no brake pad ever made for a full CF rim ever stopped a bike great.
Can you even buy new carbon fiber wheels with an aluminum brake track? While by no means defending GCN I do not think that is as offensive as you make it out to be, most people on modern rim brake bikes will have full carbon wheels.
Yep, HED Jet wheels all have alloy brake tracks.
I sold my Hed Jets several years ago now, but unless Hed have changed the way they build the wheels, I would call that wheel an alloy wheel with a carbon fairing, as the carbon is not structural in any way
Correct. There is no such thing as a "carbon rim with an aluminum brake track" They are carbon fairings on fully built aluminum wheels.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

Arph

by Arph

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:47 am
There is no such thing as a "carbon rim with an aluminum brake track"
Shimano carbon / alu are: the carbon part is bonded to an alu "rim" (consisting of aluminium brake tracks and bed). Nipples attach to the carbon part of the rim.

IIRC Mavic made carbon rims with an aluminium inner (bed and tracks).

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, i was told from a Shimano Pro center, that one of the Pro saddles ( i only asked of one specific model) being updated Q1 2023.
Not sure what to believe since there's no signs of that googling :noidea:
Wouldn't it be reasonable to have seen atleast one pic of that by now?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spartacus

by spartacus

The problem is you have to watch out for what people are trying to achieve by providing you with information*. In a lot of cases they're biased and have something to gain. Also there are A LOT of confidently wrong people on the internet.

* whether it's a glowing review of the new canyon, or a scathing review of a popular bike, etc... Hambini et. al I would consider feeding on "negative" and GCN et al focusing on "positive". It's all confirmation bias anyway as to who wants to see what IMHO.

IvanBladeus

by IvanBladeus

Woland wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:30 pm
I trust facts and numbers from independent sources. There are very few of those in the cycling media. BRR comes to mind, despite the flaws in their method, they're the best that the general public has access to. Then there are plenty of those who use the (seemingly) scientific method but who I'm sceptical of or don't trust at all, or they focus on measuring things that I find irrelevant in the real world.

In lack of facts and numbers, I trust James Huang above any other cycling journalist or writer.

As for bike reviews, that's difficult to judge due to their subjective nature. I have a couple of reviewers whose experience with a bike matches my own experience with the same bike, so I know we're aligned. For example, I recently rented a random gravel bike that I'd never heard of but loved to ride. I later searched for reviews of the bike, of which there was only a handful, and found that Guy Kesteven's review matched perfectly with my own experience. From now on I'll likely put more weight on his opinions than someone else's who I have no benchmark for. I have another writer like that, too, who shall remain anonymous as I know he (or his outlet) is disliked/discredited on this forum.
I like your sources of trust. In some way, I perceive them as the most useful. However, there are examples when marketing had positive roots that were leading to a good bicycle.

Personally, I used the help of a professional team on https://famesters.com/ which helped me to advertise my bicycles I used to handcraft. It was a small start-up that laterly became a huge business. So, I would say, that there can be both positive and negative examples of marketing. But the main radar is our personal heart, as one of the participators mentioned above.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

spartacus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:03 pm
Also there are A LOT of confidently wrong people on the internet.
Sometimes you want these posts to be gold plated and framed. 8)

otnemem

by otnemem

On the topic of trust, and since so many quote him here, can can anyone remind me if Hambini ever shared any proof whatsoever that his wind tunnel test extravaganza actually happened at all?

Maddie

by Maddie

He never did

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk

Steadimann

by Steadimann

So what is the outcome of all of this topic? :D reading comments it seems like nobody trusts nobody LOL :D

gplama

by gplama

Steadimann wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 am
So what is the outcome of all of this topic?
Trust (the data), but verify. 👌🏼

otnemem

by otnemem

Steadimann wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 am
So what is the outcome of all of this topic? :D reading comments it seems like nobody trusts nobody LOL :D
There's a few names here that are trusted accross the board. If anything, some don't like them because they're mainstream, but nothing actually bad was said about them.

GPLama's advice is solid. Look at the hard data, check for repeatability, check the publisher's track record.
If something seems too good to be true, it likely is.
And one of the best ever: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

ronanmclaughlin

by ronanmclaughlin

Since Dave Rome and I got a mention somewhere on this thread, I thought I'd mention you can now find/hear both of us on our new podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/g ... 0598746743 (available most places you get your podcasts)

js

by js

That's great news Ronan - I think there are lots of us who feel like Cyclingtips had a pretty great team together, so we're all looking forward to seeing these sorts of announcements.

I hope you're each able to build something the right way, so you get paid equal to what you contribute to our corner of the world... and maybe don't let anyone sell it this time!