Campy UT bb cups ITA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Does anyone know if the black SR ITA threaded UT BB cups have been discontinued?

Can only seem to find the the grey ultra torque ones now.

UK distributor seems to have removed any mention of them too.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Think they went out of stock during the pandemic (factory shutdown). Then after a dry spell i found some at the normal price. Suggest continuing to keep looking as there is no reason they would be discontinued.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

I heard back from a UK campy proshop and they've confirmed they're out of production, and to use the Record version.

The SR versions aren't on the campy website anymore, so makes sense.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:21 pm
I heard back from a UK campy proshop and they've confirmed they're out of production, and to use the Record version.

What's the difference? Curious if there any apart from the label?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:

Main thing for me is the colour, black vs grey but also Super Record cups do not have the inner seal, Record Cups have a white seal for the different bearings.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:

Main thing for me is the colour, black vs grey but also Super Record cups do not have the inner seal, Record Cups have a white seal for the different bearings.
That's annoying. Arguably you need the better seal for the SR bearings. :cry: :cry:
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

tommasini

by tommasini

Campy promoted that the SR ceramic doesnt need as much sealing......plus less seals gives an addtional fractional reduction of drag.

Those seals in the Record cups - they are easily removed.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Might be worth contacting a few high end bike shops see if any laying about in spares drawers etc. Places like sigma/condor/chicken etc.
Are u uk?

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mriddle

by mriddle

These have been scarce for over a year now. The greenish/brownish Record cups just don't do it for me.

mriddle

by mriddle

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:11 am
Might be worth contacting a few high end bike shops see if any laying about in spares drawers etc. Places like sigma/condor/chicken etc.
Are u uk?

Basso Diamante eps 12
I was able to find a couple pairs here (US) about a year ago, nothing since.

vinc

by vinc

I have a new pair of the UT cups with italian thread. Came with a new groupset but I didn’t need them.

If you’re interested just let me know.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Singular

by Singular

On and off the topic - I have seen what is supposed to be silver-coloured UT cups. Do these exist?

Mackers

by Mackers

Yes
Attachments
cropped.jpg
Last edited by Mackers on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

tommasini wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:55 am
Campy promoted that the SR ceramic doesnt need as much sealing......plus less seals gives an addtional fractional reduction of drag.

Those seals in the Record cups - they are easily removed.
I genuinely thought the crank bearings slide into the frame and so go 'behind' the Campy cup seals (and so the cup seals are not directly in contact with the balls as most normal bearing seals) and so would not impact the bearing efficiency as contact seals do.

So if I switched out my current Chorus 12s cranks for new SR 12s cranks I would also have to remove the cup seals, or get new SR bb30 cups to gain the full benefit of the CULT ceramic bearings?!?

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:11 am
Are u uk?

Basso Diamante eps 12
Yep. Uk based.
I've got a chicken account and they've got no stock. I was in condor the other day and they also mentioned they were trying to scoop up what they could find but have been out for a while.

From Graeme @ velotech on record vs SR cups:

SR were soft anodised, black. RE is a harder and more durable (IME) anodisation in olive green.

I was told a few years ago by a colleague / tech at the factory that SR bearings being Cronitect Inox, were better at resisting both simple and complex corrosion and were fine coupled with soft anodisation, where RE and CH bearings, using a non-Inox bearing surface were more prone to corrosion and so benefitted from a harder anodised cup with lower corrosion propensity.

There may have been loss in translation but that seems reasonable as an explanation, though I'm no expert in metallurgy ... whereas my colleague was / is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com