*NEW GEN* SRAM Force Groupset March 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

morrisond wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:34 pm
danridesbikes wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:46 pm
jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:44 am
Anyone have weared down the Red AXS PM enough to ask SRAM to replace at 50% discount?
i'm sure they said on the Escape Collective podcast it was 5%
50% on Red and 10% on Force.

They shouldn't bother - just make both colors of rings available at Force price.

Who thinks they really are recycled? Plus you would have all the effort/infrastructure and carbon to get them back to SRAM for recyling - not worth it for 10% on Force.
i meant that only 5% of consumers had worn out red power rings and took the option of a discounted replacement

Lina

by Lina

Do people actually wear out chainrings? I have somewhere between 60 - 70 000 km on a set of Campy chainrings on my current road bike. And they're far from being worn out. If I had to guess that's more than what most chainrings will ever go through in their lifetime before being replaced for reasons other than wear. Don't run worn, stretched out chains and your drivetrain components will last a long time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lina wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:36 am
Do people actually wear out chainrings? I have somewhere between 60 - 70 000 km on a set of Campy chainrings on my current road bike. And they're far from being worn out. If I had to guess that's more than what most chainrings will ever go through in their lifetime before being replaced for reasons other than wear. Don't run worn, stretched out chains and your drivetrain components will last a long time.

After 50000km I wore out my 11-speed Red big ring to the point where it would slip in big-big at high torque.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

If they haven’t done anything to make front shifting better, I’m not particularly interested. I eventually got my AXS stuff shifting great in the front. Key word: eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:28 am
If they haven’t done anything to make front shifting better, I’m not particularly interested. I eventually got my AXS stuff shifting great in the front. Key word: eventually.
In my case shifting with the Red/Force D1 FD has been flawless ever since I decided to use AXS chainrings and not third-party stuff. The Force D2 FD uses the Rival FD cage geometry and is supposedly even better.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:04 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:28 am
In my case shifting with the Red/Force D1 FD has been flawless ever since I decided to use AXS chainrings and not third-party stuff. The Force D2 FD uses the Rival FD cage geometry and is supposedly even better.
Are these cages different than the RED version?
Do you know if the new Force shifters have longer reach than RED?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TLN

by TLN

I think he says that most recent Force uses newer rival shifters and FD design that was designed with feedback from Red/Force AXS Etap users.
You can refer to Rival AXS thread to check if reach on shifters is any different
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

DaveS

by DaveS

I've got both Force and Rival. I don't find either FD easier to set up. The tail of the Force FD sits lower than the Rival. With a 30T little ring, and the Rival FD, the chain gets really close to the cage in the smaller sprockets, but I don't purposely use those combinations. Once in awhile I forget to shift back up to the big ring.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TLN wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:56 pm
I think he says that most recent Force uses newer rival shifters and FD design that was designed with feedback from Red/Force AXS Etap users.
You can refer to Rival AXS thread to check if reach on shifters is any different
Hm, i can't find a thread for new Rival.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:21 pm
TLN wrote:
sram made an overlay image with old and new shifter. According to that overlay, if anything changed in terns of reach, is to reduce the reach by a hair from old to new.

mtwinste

by mtwinste

robeambro wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Thanks all - any reason other than weight to go for Red crankset over Force?

@Tobin - I am planning to shop around and hunt for discounts - I have specific taste & needs which often don't agree with the various upgrade kits (e.g. when I had a cursory look, I could only see them being sold with the short cage RD, and I'd like to fit a 10-36t cassette. I don't know if I want a 160mm rear rotor, etc).
I'm running a 33t RD with a 10/36 cassette with no issues. RED AXS system

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mtwinste wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:53 pm

I'm running a 33t RD with a 10/36 cassette with no issues. RED AXS system

Ultimately the only difference between the 33t and 36t is the slightly longer b-knuckle on the 36t. Pilo makes a longer derailleur hanger for my Treks, which mimics that offset. A RoadLink would do the same.

currentsea

by currentsea

pmprego wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:37 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
TLN wrote:
sram made an overlay image with old and new shifter. According to that overlay, if anything changed in terns of reach, is to reduce the reach by a hair from old to new.

Essentially zero change in reach, it just looks a bit sleeker and is apparently less girthy for the fingers to wrap around.

morrisond

by morrisond

currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:01 pm
pmprego wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
TLN wrote:

Essentially zero change in reach, it just looks a bit sleeker and is apparently less girthy for the fingers to wrap around.
That looks like 4-5mm less to me if you are reaching for the blades.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

morrisond wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:53 pm
currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:01 pm
pmprego wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

That looks like 4-5mm less to me if you are reaching for the blades.
Your hands rest in the same position. The wrapping is different as the post mentioned.