Misaligned Flatmount Holes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Petz

by Petz

Hi!
I just came across this problem with my new build and need some advice:

It seems to me there's some kind of misalignment of the threaded inserts, since it's not possible to allign the brake caliper with the rotor. You can see that while the top screw is positioned somewhere in the middle of the slot, the bottom one is already totally on the end stop on the right.
Already tried a different wheelset and other rotor on the same wheelset - always looks the same.

The question is, am I missing something here or should I just try to get a new fork on warranty?
Are there maybe flatmount adapteres with more adjustability?

Thanks in advance!

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Have you checked the pistons?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I had this on one of my bikes. The range just wasn't enough, so I used a rotor truing tool. Needed maybe 1mm.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Have you looked so it's not the surface that is uneven (paint as example) - that the brake caliper is attached to!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Petz

by Petz

unfortunately Pistons are perfectly centered and the mounting surface is machined (can't measure if it's totally even, but looks good)😔

I ordered some different flat mount adapters to try. Maybe I will be lucky and one of them has more adjustability.
I could think of a few workarounds for this problem, but somehow I think with a new, quite expensive frame all this shouldn't be necessary to get it to work..

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Is the wheel in straight/vertical? Misalignment of the thru axle dropouts could in theory also be an issue and wouldn't be solved by other adapters.
If it's really in the caliper bolt hole alignment, then filing or dremelling out the slot in the adapter a bit might be enough?

Petz

by Petz

TheDoctor wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 am
Is the wheel in straight/vertical? Misalignment of the thru axle dropouts could in theory also be an issue and wouldn't be solved by other adapters.
If it's really in the caliper bolt hole alignment, then filing or dremelling out the slot in the adapter a bit might be enough?
The wheel itself runs straight in the fork - no problem here.
I guess I will just wait for the other adapters. Making the slot a bit longer would be the easiest solution, the only problem is, there won't be much material left on this side.
I also contacted the shop I bought the frame from, let's see what they will say.
Not really interested in waiting a few months for a replacement fork or frameset either :?

kode54

by kode54

You probably only need to file the inside of the slot a bit to make up for misalignment. But bear in mind that a ‘not’ flat caliper mount surface may make the misalignment more extreme. I suspect that this is the case otherwise the frame manufacturer would be re-doing a lot of forks.

Taking it to a shop to face off the mounting area would be my recommendation.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Petz

by Petz

Problem solved!
I really only had to take off a little bit of material from the adapter, much less than I expected.
Finally I can finish the build :mrgreen:

Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com