Aero bottle - Worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

Expecting my 795 RS soon, and thinking if it really pays off putting a couple of aero bottles on it.

Been reading awfull stuff about Elite Chrono's and the very few things I can read about Nex-Gen are not bad, but it seems that they only sell in US, which is a bummer to European customers due to customs.

Do you consider aero bottles to be a worthwhile investment in a aero bike like the 795, or am I pushing things too far?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They are annoying to hold and put back in the cage. It also means not being able to take hand-ups in feed zones.

And if you’re not racing, then it really makes no difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:59 pm
They are annoying to hold and put back in the cage. It also means not being able to take hand-ups in feed zones.

And if you’re not racing, then it really makes no difference.
Yes! You're probably right! :roll: :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

only on a TT bike in a TT race :)

The insulation is non-existent and you have to have little ice cubes if you want to put some in (Elite bottle)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

naavt

by naavt

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm
only on a TT bike in a TT race :)

The insulation is non-existent and you have to have little ice cubes if you want to put some in (Elite bottle)
I'm feeling that they really are too messy for so little gain. Thanks for pointing yet another downer. Putting regular bottles then!

BMC has done a good job of integrating cages in their TeamMachine for regular bottles. Just wish something like that made to every other aero frame in the market

gbrnole

by gbrnole

i never have figured out why a company like fidlock don't add an aero bottle option to their line? same base and can switch between aero and standard bottles on a whim.

not ideal for road racing though.

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

Aero Coach tested different bottles and positions

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/water-bottle-testing

A bottle mounted behind the saddle has the least aero penalty, followed by an aero bottle, but unless you're racing then it's a bit academic.

I'll use an aero bottle for longer TTs on a hot day, mainly so I can have a drink at the start line.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

I don't know of any good bottles but I do think (per the Aero Coach link) if you're worried about integrated cables, aerofoil tube shapes etc, then it makes sense to avoid sticking a great tubular bottle on a carefully sculpted aero frame...

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Sometimes I like to have a drink during an hour long crit. There are no feed stops, and aero definitely matters at 40-45 kmh avg speed. An aero bottle makes all kinds of sense in that scenario.

txg

by txg

Another option with nearly no aero penalty for shorter TTs is to use a small soft flask like this one in a small top tube bag (that is also used for my car keys):
https://www.decathlon.de/p/soft-flask-t ... mc=8588860
https://www.deuter.com/de-de/shop/tasch ... gy-bag-0.5

I mainly use it to have a sip at the start line but it is also nice to have a little bit left over if a sip is needed underway. This may be strange, but i always get less thirsty if i know that i have some water with me.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

20221204_090311~2.jpg
Have that bike. If you look head on with regular bottles/bottle cages, you would be hard pressed to tell that they are there...

Focus on tool carry solution to minimize aero penalty from bulky tool bag as well as aero light for seat post.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rudye9mr wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:12 pm
20221204_090311~2.jpg

Have that bike. If you look head on with regular bottles/bottle cages, you would be hard pressed to tell that they are there...

Focus on tool carry solution to minimize aero penalty from bulky tool bag as well as aero light for seat post.
You can’t see the bottle because the front of the bike is on a much closer plane than the front of the bottle. Objects closer to you appear larger. Or do you think your tire is wider than your Assioma pedal body?
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommasini

by tommasini

I've got the earlier version of elite aero cages and bottles it's a white bottle and it's a true carbon cage

These have been fantastic and very reliable. very easy in and out very easy to handle on the bike. If you're into marginal games these are a smart choice. I had a chance to try the black ones with their fiberglass cages didn't like those as they seemed kind of flimsy

they come up on eBay from time to time - very good product

Nickldn

by Nickldn

For those who are truly serious about reducing aero drag from water bottles, something like the XLAB Delta 425 Bottle Cages, mounted behind the saddle is probably the best option.

Not sure if they are UCI legal and definitely don't allow a saddle bag to be fitted, but they are a no compromise aero option with normal, round bottles.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 pm
For those who are truly serious about reducing aero drag from water bottles, something like the XLAB Delta 425 Bottle Cages, mounted behind the saddle is probably the best option.

Not sure if they are UCI legal and definitely don't allow a saddle bag to be fitted, but they are a no compromise aero option with normal, round bottles.
Agree that this is probably the best option over an aero water bottle and is backed up by the Aerocoach link already posted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com