Using tt frames as road bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

I seriously don’t see why more people don’t do this, especially with wireless group sets. As long as you could adjust to get your correct position couldn’t you just throw some drop bars on a tt bike and have a very fast build for flat races? I know there must be some issue, I just don’t see what it is. Also, is the old generation canyon speed max UCI legal for road races?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldy

by baldy

I tried it with my old HED VO4. The position was too low at the front to be comfortable despite lots of tweaking, and the geometry of the bike made it OK in a straight line but not so good for anything else. More modern bikes may be better, but I doubt it. Fork rake and seat angle are usually very different to road bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:06 am
I seriously don’t see why more people don’t do this, especially with wireless group sets. As long as you could adjust to get your correct position couldn’t you just throw some drop bars on a tt bike and have a very fast build for flat races? I know there must be some issue, I just don’t see what it is. Also, is the old generation canyon speed max UCI legal for road races?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing stopping you from doing it.

Aress

by Aress

I was thinking the same, the plan was to have a ''remcoesque'' position. The problem is that it wont climb verywell

Karvalo

by Karvalo

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:06 am
I seriously don’t see why more people don’t do this, especially with wireless group sets. As long as you could adjust to get your correct position
That's the thing. A Cervelo P-series 54cm for example is 2cm lower and 3cm longer in reach than an S5 54cm. Handling is often tuned down as well for stability when the riders upper body weight is over the front axle. But it is for sure a thing that people do (less so now when most top end frames are integrated) and if it works for you then it works.
Also, is the old generation canyon speed max UCI legal for road races?

Are there UCI scrutineers at your races? If not then it's definitely legal.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

A friend of mine did this with an old Cervelo Tri bike and loves it. It's a little heavy for the hilly stuff, but plenty fast on the flats and low rollers.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

cajer

by cajer

The biggest issue now is that your bars/cables/stem won't be integrated. Which likely washes out most if not all of the drag savings you'd get from the TT frame.

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

I did this with an older (2007~ I think) Cervelo P3 and mostly loved it. It wasn't a weight-weenie build by any means, but it was fairly light for what it was, being a 56cm frame. At the end of the day, it was a tad aggresive for me as the head-tube was something like 12cm-14cm and I wasn't quite flexible enough/likely didn't have enough core strength. At the end of the day w/pedals, clinchers and a Sram Rival 1x groupo it weighed 7.1kg/15.6lbs- I ended up throwing tubs on there some lighters parts and getting it close to under under 6.8kg. I'm still looking for a nice condition and cheap 58cm P3 as I think the increased head-tube and maybe a riser bar would help me a bit more comfortable. Since then, I've owned an Emonda, a Velo-Build VB-068 (trash) and right now a 2014/15 Madeone 5.9 and I still pine for the Cervelo- it was so fast and fun- had my crit, on it, too! Look at the geo charts and there are definitely a number of TT frames I wouldn't hesitate to convert into aero bikes (Cannondale Slice, some Felt TT bikes, Giant Trinity probably, maybe even a Trek Speed Concept). If I see a 58/56 cheap carbon TT frame, I'll definitely very seriously consider building it up.

Let me know if you have any questions- I might have some pics of the Cervelo, too, if you're curious.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com