Using SL7 Integrated Stem on a S-Works SL6 Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

htnguyen96

by htnguyen96

Currently riding a S-Works Tarmac SL6 (SRAM Force Etap). I have been doing some research and digging online to see if there is a way to run an integrated wireless setup so the brake lines wont show.

Thus far I know I will need the following:

- Roval Rapide Aero Bar
- Sworks SL7 Integrated stem
- SL6 Stem conversion kit (https://www.ebay.com/itm/184732174553) - this will give the new stem a flush look like the SL7. There are holes in the spacers and base cap to allow the wires to run through.

The only issue i see now is that compression ring which on an SL7 (https://www.performancebike.com/special ... WGEALw_wcB) has holes to shim through the brake lines. Also i beleive the stem tube of an SL7 has a hole near the base to put the wires through.

The SL6 compression ring is literally a ring. No holes to shimmy through wires.

The only option I thought of is drilling a hole through the SL6 stem tube near where i would run the conversion kit and then run the wires straight through the tubes.

Any thoughts or anyone who has done this conversion?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

No, you will not be able to route anything through the headset. This is not going to be possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

You would need not one but two holes in the steerer. The second would be for the rear brake line to exit the steerer.
And there's no guarantee that your front brake line has access from the top of the steerer to the outlet where the line exits the fork.

The only reasonable way to do integration on a SL6 is to find a suitable fork with a d-steerer tube. That gives you the space you need between between the upper bearing and the steerer.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Maddie wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:55 am
You would need not one but two holes in the steerer. The second would be for the rear brake line to exit the steerer.
And there's no guarantee that your front brake line has access from the top of the steerer to the outlet where the line exits the fork.

The only reasonable way to do integration on a SL6 is to find a suitable fork with a d-steerer tube. That gives you the space you need between between the upper bearing and the steerer.
Indeed a D steerer fork is the only solution. I think there would be a market for compatible forks with D shaped steerers to integrate older frames like the SL6 or the supersix evo

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have drilled a hole at the top of the steering tube and the bottom so I could route the wires inside the frame for my Campagnolo EPS11. I doubt if it would work with a hydraulic brake line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com