Going from Allez Sprint to S-Works SL5?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nick38

by Nick38

So I have a 2016 Allez Sprint (amongst others) and have reached the point where I've maxed it out, Dura Ace Di2 full groupset, a choice of Roval CLX32 & 64 wheels, S-Works stem and Aerofly bars etc and think perhaps the frame set is perhaps now the worst part of the build :noidea:

So I'm buying an S-Works SL5 (same year 2016) thinking this'll be a nicer build now I've had the Allez Sprint a couple of years, take everything off the Allez and fit it all to the SL5 and wondered what to look out for? Will I notice a big difference? Weight, handling etc.

I've really enjoyed the Allez Sprint but think it's time to move it on :D

cerro

by cerro

Less gocart and more comfort. I went from an SL5 to an Allez Sprint ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The SL5 will ride a lot better in the rear, the stem will be 10mm higher (unless you adjust for that), and they're probably weigh about the same.

Nick38

by Nick38

I was hoping the S-Works SL5 would be a bit lighter, struggling to locate specs on rim brake frame, must be lighter than Allez Sprint surely?
Hoping to get the build under 7kg with full Dura Ace and the CLX32s fitted :noidea:

TLN

by TLN

I had Allez Sprint and went to SL5 Tarmac Disc. Same small clearance for tires: couldn't fit 28c. No big improvements on comfort. I wish I kept mine Edition X1 bike instead and saved the money.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Nick38 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:14 pm
I was hoping the S-Works SL5 would be a bit lighter, struggling to locate specs on rim brake frame, must be lighter than Allez Sprint surely?
Hoping to get the build under 7kg with full Dura Ace and the CLX32s fitted :noidea:
What do you want to know about the SL5, I own 2 of em.. one in the Sagan camo colors, and one in the Nibali Shark scheme.. both have Campy EPS... the Shark is the newest edition to the fleet, I have an SL6 and a Venge, and I actually find myself on the SL5 the most...

Nick38

by Nick38

Hi ParisCarbon, are yours rim brake models, what sort of weight have you got them at? All my other bikes are disc brake Specialized models, 3 x SL7s inc S-Works and 2 x Diverge models, I want to keep a rim model in my stable for travelling, so much easier packing cabled breaks in a case than hydraulic brake pipes with very little movement to detach bars etc IMO.

Is the SL5 stiff in comparison to newer models? Was looking to get an SL6 S-Works but still a bit pricey to justify to the Mrs :mrgreen:

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Nick38 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:45 pm
I want to keep a rim model in my stable for travelling, so much easier packing cabled breaks in a case than hydraulic brake pipes with very little movement to detach bars etc IMO.
Travelling with disk brakes should be just as easy as with rim brakes, as long as you have sufficient slack available in the hoses to allow removing the bar/stem to pack the bike in a bike bag.

IMO more of an issue with internal cable routing (e.g. SL7), but should not present any problems for sensibly built frames with external routing (e.g. SL6 and many others).

When I travel with a bike it's usually to ride in the mountains, so I prefer a travel bike with disk brakes.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Nick38 wrote:
Hi ParisCarbon, are yours rim brake models, what sort of weight have you got them at? All my other bikes are disc brake Specialized models, 3 x SL7s inc S-Works and 2 x Diverge models, I want to keep a rim model in my stable for travelling, so much easier packing cabled breaks in a case than hydraulic brake pipes with very little movement to detach bars etc IMO.

Is the SL5 stiff in comparison to newer models? Was looking to get an SL6 S-Works but still a bit pricey to justify to the Mrs :mrgreen:
Yes both are rim brake.. one has EPS 11, the other has EPS 12... both are 58s...Ill get a weight on em tonite and post that with the specs... vs the SL6.. in all honesty.. I cant tell... going to my venge off either an SL5 or 6 is where I feel the difference...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nick38

by Nick38

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:10 pm
Nick38 wrote:

Yes both are rim brake.. one has EPS 11, the other has EPS 12... both are 58s...Ill get a weight on em tonite and post that with the specs... vs the SL6.. in all honesty.. I cant tell... going to my venge off either an SL5 or 6 is where I feel the difference...
Cheers ParisCarbon appreciate it :thumbup: